The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAWs on very wide displays ... any experiences?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
I don't get the ultra-wide display thing for DAWs. I can see the use in gaming if you sit really close, but for screen real estate, when placed behind other equipment, then why not just get a 43" 4k TV and use that.

I find that the outside edges are too far away and prefer the height rather then the width.

I use a 49" Samsung 4k TV as a monitor, same pixel density and resolution as 4x 24" 1080p screens.
The thing is actually TVs don’t respond and perform the same way as proper computer monitors, they have different designs and work differently. That’s as far as I know, when I asked a couple of screen nerd friends for advice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't get the ultra-wide display thing for DAWs. I can see the use in gaming if you sit really close, but for screen real estate, when placed behind other equipment, then why not just get a 43" 4k TV and use that.

I find that the outside edges are too far away and prefer the height rather then the width.

I use a 49" Samsung 4k TV as a monitor, same pixel density and resolution as 4x 24" 1080p screens.
One reason, as mentioned above, is a never-ending objective toward that sweet spot. I'm looking at your attachment, and it's hard to tell, but assuming you have a perfect triangle, how you work at your desk moving buttons etc without sliding back on your chair to get in the proper sweet spot?

With a huge video monitor you either have to place the audio monitors at the side of the video monitor, then for critical listening slide your chair back and forth every time you want to listen in a perfect triangle sweet spot.

Or you can place the audio monitors back toward the wall, but then you get reflections from the video monitor and whatever else you may have in the way.

With Ultra-wide, and I'm at 34 inches each, they are placed very low...like just above the knee cap which is immediately below the keyboard controller, and then tilted upwards. This way, my audio monitors and particularly the tweeter is at ear level, when sitting straight up...with the audio monitors tilted slightly down using acoustic pads.

And yes, there still is a compromise, but this set-up for myself seems to work best. And messing around for years with a simple Radio Shack level meter to discover all the low frequency and cancellation areas, and plus Reverence 4 set-up, it works out pretty well.

Edit: The photo I took is somewhat deceiving. I look down when looking at the video monitors which are tilted upwards. The video monitors are really quite low to the floor.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
One reason, as mentioned above, is a never-ending objective toward that sweet spot. I'm looking at your attachment, and it's hard to tell, but assuming you have a perfect triangle, how you work at your desk moving buttons etc without sliding back on your chair to get in the proper sweet spot?

With a huge video monitor you either have to place the audio monitors at the side of the video monitor, then for critical listening slide your chair back and forth every time you want to listen in a perfect triangle sweet spot.
My set up is a near perfect triangle between the speakers and listening position. I don't need to lean forward or backwards for any sweet spot. Obviously the further back into the room I go then I get effected by other room modes, I've adjusted the speaker positions for the most balanced sound and most solid 3d phantom centre image at the listening position.

Quote:
Or you can place the audio monitors back toward the wall, but then you get reflections from the video monitor and whatever else you may have in the way.

With Ultra-wide, and I'm at 34 inches each, they are placed very low...like just above the knee cap which is immediately below the keyboard controller, and then tilted upwards. This way, my audio monitors and particularly the tweeter is at ear level, when sitting straight up...with the audio monitors tilted slightly down using acoustic pads.
My screen sits on a Pedestal stand I can move it wherever I wish. It's currently on the same plane as the front of my monitors, just behind the desk. The stand is height adjustable. If I didn't have the mixer in the way I could lower it another 8". My eyes would then be level with the top of the screen. Your set up looks like you have to rotate your head to see the extreme left/right of the monitors? Not knocking it, just that you say you wanted a sweet spot then have a double ultra-wide set up which requires you to move your head around. Each to their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post
The thing is actually TVs don’t respond and perform the same way as proper computer monitors, they have different designs and work differently. That’s as far as I know, when I asked a couple of screen nerd friends for advice.
A lot of TV's have a PC or game mode. This turns off all the movie/tv crap and basically turns it into a monitor. Text is pixel perfect as good as any monitor I've owned, refresh rate is 60hz, which is normal for most regular monitors.
{See uploaded text image @ 100% scale - interference is due to camera/screen refresh rates and not what I see}

Most popular brands of TV's have been like this for the last decade. I sold a then top of the range 32" Samsung monitor when I bought this TV. This TV has a much better image quality and lower input lag than the monitor. I was shocked how bad the monitor was compared to the TV when I first tried it to be honest. You need a graphics card which can output 4k 60hz , a lot of older GPUs and onboard GPU's can't do this and only do 4k 30hz, which is why some people may say it degrades the image or doesn't look right with lag. I believe the cheapest GPU you can get which does 4k 60hz via HDMI is an Nvidia GT1030. Although recent i7/i9 motherboards onboard graphics can now do this as standard. You also need to make sure your video card is outputting RGB rather than the YCbCr444/422/420 which games consoles use.
TV is a Samsung KS7000 UK (KS8000 is the USA version)
Attached Thumbnails
DAWs on very wide displays ... any experiences?-img_20200622_215930.jpg   DAWs on very wide displays ... any experiences?-img_20200622_225158.jpg  

Last edited by MarcB; 2 weeks ago at 10:54 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My set up is a near perfect triangle between the speakers and listening position. I don't need to lean forward or backwards for any sweet spot. Obviously the further back into the room I go then I get effected by other room modes, I've adjusted the speaker positions for the most balanced sound and most solid 3d phantom centre image at the listening position.
Fair enough. I guess looking at the initial pic you attached, and where your chair is positioned assuming your knees would be under the keyboard controller, it didn't look like your chair was far enough back, or your large video monitor was too close, especially when using your mixer. But if you can move the video monitor forward or backwards..... Your audio monitors were difficult to discern if they are even, or further back than the video monitor, however in your 2nd pic, they appear to actually be in front.

Quote:
Your set up looks like you have to rotate your head to see the extreme left/right of the monitors? Not knocking it, just that you say you wanted a sweet spot then have a double ultra-wide set up which requires you to move your head around. Each to their own.
Actually, very little head rotation. I suppose my head-rotate might be 10 degrees plus very slight eye-rotate to see the extreme left/right of either monitor. From my sweet spot where my legs fit just beneath the middle of my keyboard controller, distance from my eyes to the inside of each monitor is 32 inches and to the outside of each video monitor 36 inches. Outside distance would be more if I didn't curve them in. And for perspective, considering this is actually a triple ultra-wide, the 3rd monitor on the right I would guess 50-60 degrees...nowhere near 90. Fortunately my workflow doesn't require looking at Cubase mix console 3 nearly as much as 1 or 2. And when I feel I'm going to be looking at monitor 3 too much, I have a Cubase Workspace that switches them.

Curved screens were very expensive when I bought these LG's so I decided to suffer. I think more "bothersome" is the split in the middle of both monitors, but over the years I guess I have learned to ignore it. Keep in mind I upgraded from ignoring 4 splits... 4 19 inch monitors set side-by side so replacing those with 2 ultra-wides resulted in about the same amount of screen real estate...except no splits between screens of course.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear