The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Console 1: Recommended for mixing beginners?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Console 1: Recommended for mixing beginners?

While not new to making music at all, mixing is still a big mystery for me. While I have a rough idea what mixing is about, I am still far away from knowing what I‘m doing. Being a haptical kind of person, I‘m blaming it on my lack of experience with tactile interfaces. I learned synthesizers on a hardware synth, and similarily I assume I‘d only learn mixing on a tactile interface too.
Hence, I have been looking at Console 1 for a while, and might get one later this summer, along with some first room treatment, as I‘m moving to the first room that I can actually treat.

My question though is:
Is the Console 1 recommended to learn how to mix, or is it rather required that you already know how to mix?

Sadly, it‘s not that well integrated with my main DAW (Logic), but I might do the mix in Studio One or Ableton, if the better integration is worth it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My opinion is yes.
Everyone says to use the included plugins in your DAW before buying other stuff, but they are often surgical and very advanced.
Emulations like these in general help you make decisions faster
Console 1 plus a Komplete Kontrol keyboard and Software that support both is a dream come true, I'm amazed every day.
By the way, the first plugins I bought were Flux Full Bundle, even harder to make decisions with those.
Learn the topologies of compressors Tube VCA FET Opto and their uses and the most used Eqs API SSL NEVE and you will be mixing faster.
Old 2 weeks ago
I would also say yes it’s a good learning place, and using the same channel strip on each track teaches you more about mixing and shaping a track than trying to work with a bunch of random plugins and constantly having to choose which ones to select for each track and ending up with a disjointed sound.

Watch some videos on YouTube about how people use Console 1 and it should demonstrate what I’m talking about.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, I just got mine this week and love it. Also, I’m using logic and the integration hasn’t been a problem. I’m sure it will get fully integrated at some point, but right now channels and tracks are named automatically, and they switch their order if you switch track order. I’m also using the c-touch, and so I select a track on that but also select in console 1 if I want the same channel. It works really well. If you have used a digital mixer live your brain gets used to things not always being 1:1 and it makes sense very quickly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Console 1 with the stock 4000 plugin is a great product. When I was mixing in the box, that's basically all I needed for most compression/eq tasks.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear