The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Gridder
Old 12th June 2020
  #1
Audio Gridder

Now with the PC version available.

I've been offsetting my heavy effects plugs to my slave laptop and man!

This has been a godsend. I'm using it with the free agentcm to load vst3 in protools and wow!

I did a quick setup video.

Edit: Found out about Element Modular and using that over agent cm.
About to purchase one of those new nuc and go crazy!

Last edited by Patrick_; 12th June 2020 at 04:00 AM..
Old 26th June 2020
  #2
Gear Head
 

hello did u put the audio gridder software in both laptops ??
and how u connect them via ethernet cable ?
what about latency ? can i use audio gridder for live realtime ? like waves server ?
Old 26th June 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehabmxd View Post
hello did u put the audio gridder software in both laptops ??
and how u connect them via ethernet cable ?
what about latency ? can i use audio gridder for live realtime ? like waves server ?
you install the software on both macines.

If you're not connected via a Network switch/Hub then you can use a crossover LAN cable to go direct between the LAN ports.


Depending on your audio interface and network bandwidth and particular VSTI's you can play live.



M
Old 26th June 2020
  #4
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
you install the software on both macines.

If you're not connected via a Network switch/Hub then you can use a crossover LAN cable to go direct between the LAN ports.


Depending on your audio interface and network bandwidth and particular VSTI's you can play live.



M
thank u alots i will try with any old PC
Old 26th June 2020
  #5
Gear Head
 

Excuse me, I have another question
plugins must be installed on the server machine ?
Or be in the main computer?
Old 26th June 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
...
If you're not connected via a Network switch/Hub then you can use a crossover LAN cable to go direct between the LAN ports.
...
Although you can use a crossover cable, it has become an unnecessary step since Ethernet chipsets in the respective computers' LAN adapters have reliable automatic MDI/MDIX capability that allows the use of normal straight-through patch cables.

The larger requirement will be setting a static IP address in the AudioGridder Server so your configuration of the client side of the AudioGridder will have a predictable target address rather than rolling the dice with self-assigned (169.254.x.x) IP addresses.
Old 27th June 2020
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehabmxd View Post
Excuse me, I have another question
plugins must be installed on the server machine ?
Or be in the main computer?
Plugins must be on server comp.
Old 28th June 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Although you can use a crossover cable, it has become an unnecessary step since Ethernet chipsets in the respective computers' LAN adapters have reliable automatic MDI/MDIX capability that allows the use of normal straight-through patch cables.

The larger requirement will be setting a static IP address in the AudioGridder Server so your configuration of the client side of the AudioGridder will have a predictable target address rather than rolling the dice with self-assigned (169.254.x.x) IP addresses.
thanks Gary, that shows you how long it is since I connected 2 computers without a switch :D


Audio Gridder is an interesting project and for an Alpha is pretty good. I hope the development continues and this becomes a serious piece of pro software.


M
Old 9th August 2020
  #9
Gear Nut
 

This looks really good for using cpu heavy plugins like Acustica. Look forward to testing in logic x with my Mac Pro 2013 and 2011mbp.
Anyone set it up for this yet?
Old 10th August 2020
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
This looks really good for using cpu heavy plugins like Acustica. Look forward to testing in logic x with my Mac Pro 2013 and 2011mbp.
Anyone set it up for this yet?
Alot of people have. It works just fine.
Old 13th August 2020
  #11
Here for the gear
 

This is soooo great, soooo handy (better workflow than Vienna Ensemble Pro) and even FREE!! Working fine with two Win10 machines, missing some plugins but my heavy ones are covered
Old 13th August 2020
  #12
Faster link to see how it works.


Quote:
AyeYoPat! on Instagram: “I'm a 60 second assasin on the tutorial. Using #Audio



7 Likes, 4 Comments - AyeYoPat! (@killahtrakz) on Instagram: “I'm a 60 second assasin on the tutorial. Using #Audiogridder. And setting it up to offload the DSP.…”
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Set this up last night. Had to install VNC instead of using RDP because, with RDP, it wouldn't display the UI in the client. VNC was annoying because of resolution issues, but I eventually figured it out. Once VNC server was set up on the same PC as the Audiogridder server, and a VNC client on the Audiogridder client PC, it used it automatically instead of RDP.

On a gigabit network with fast computers, ~128 ms latency seems solid, as long as I don't add more than 2 plugins into an instance of the client plugin, or it becomes a clickfest. I also reduced the UI quality to .7 as of now to see if that makes it a little more responsive.

That said, I've tried both the FX and Instr plugins and have had no crashes etc. I just need to figure out what to have on the server. Several plugins are 1 license and/or iLok only so those are just easiest to have on the client computer. SSD space is limited on the server, so moving all my Kontakt instruments there doesn't make sense (not sure I want to stream the samples to the server and then the audio back to the client, as that doesn't seem like it'd perform well). Right now I'm thinking of moving Omnisphere, Diva, Hive2, Repro on the synth side, and then Valhalla reverbs, tape plugins, and some others.

Any tips on what plugins have worked better? Or plugin types (reverbs, tapes, compressors, etc.)?

I still have to try printing things to make sure they run through the client/server in the DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 

1.0 released and that’s solid.

1.1 beta also released and, while more fragile, it’s hugely more responsive when using the FX or instruments because it switched to using FFMPEG to stream the UI. Massive difference. Lower latency, too.

Anyone with 2 computers (win, mac, both) really needs to try this! This is utterly brilliant and pretty easy to get going. Still needs VNC on Windows, though.

I can play Diva in Divine mode with taking .83% CPU power on my main PC with my DAW (30% on the server PC).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
1.0 released and that’s solid.

1.1 beta also released and, while more fragile, it’s hugely more responsive when using the FX or instruments because it switched to using FFMPEG to stream the UI. Massive difference. Lower latency, too.

Anyone with 2 computers (win, mac, both) really needs to try this! This is utterly brilliant and pretty easy to get going. Still needs VNC on Windows, though.

I can play Diva in Divine mode with taking .83% CPU power on my main PC with my DAW (30% on the server PC).
yes, It's working really well now. Used it all day yesterday on one of my own projects as a test and it was rock solid with loads of Aqua plugins.


does anyone know if you can slave 32 bit plugins? would love to get my POCO plugs working on a slave.


M
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Mac Minis/Audio Gridder issues

Trying to get my two Mac Mini's working with this and still not successful. I'm a little slow at this would appreciate any help!

I have 2012 MacMini as Server running Mojave
2018 Mac Mini running ProTools on Mojave
I'm using a Cat 6 crossover ethernet cable
I'm using Blue Cat Audio Patchworks for VST3 plugs installed on server
I'm following instructions on Github but to no avail.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Gear Head
 

You need a router I think.....should work more or less straight away.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

1.1 Beta 4 has been out 6 hours or so now.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Just played around with the 1.1 beta4 and yes it is working, it is a cool concept, but i'm getting dropouts on both of my macs running mojave, a mac pro 5,1 and a macbook pro 2014, both connected via 1 Gb/s Ethernet.

I have to disbale wifi on the server (macbook), otherwise the plug-in will not find the sever.

A fixed IP address option might solve this or a tutorial how to make it take priority of ethernet over wlan. the mac pro even has 2 ethernet cards, i don't know how to configure this to make it 100% stable.

The reason for me trying this is to keep my tc powercores working (on the macbook) even if the main mac goes beyond mojave - and it seems to be really close to working very well here.

great project!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 52 views: 14112
Avatar for BenJah
BenJah 25th September 2008
replies: 835 views: 169513
Avatar for jlgrimes11
jlgrimes11 4 weeks ago
replies: 56 views: 8092
Avatar for Aiyn Zahav
Aiyn Zahav 10th August 2012
replies: 1296 views: 150965
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump