The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME: idea for a new interface
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM View Post
@ CPhoenix

No, you are not late, you came in perfect time and real party is just beginning.
Some really big guys just came to the party, and hopefully, you guys will give us, kids, some lessons.
lol. I learned a lot from reading TAKFAT's responses. Listen to everything he has to say, it trumps anything I've said thus far.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
So the line is:
If it uses built in computer protocol, its and interface
If it uses Audio only protocol, say MADI, Daunte, SPDIF, then its converters.

If that's the case, I only use converters, never an interface. Better system.
In a nutshell yes.

My next build is going to be an RME PCI card (I've laned on the RayDat to suit my needs). I will be connecting only AD/DA converters to it (Ferrofish AE16, Rosetta 800, Burl B2 DAC, BLA Sparrow mkii ADC). The "protocol" for the RayDat is the PCI bus. The PCI bus is much faster than USB/Firewire/ damn near everything. It's going to maximize performance to as fast as humanly possible (outside of the PCI2 vs PCI4 speed differences... my mobo will be PCI4 but I believe the RayDat is built to PCI2 spec, so speeds will be reduced to PCI2 levels... but that's completely another story. Just saying all of this so more experienced folks don't think I'm a complete idiot lol. I'm not a complete idiot... just have idiot tendencies that I've worked hard to correct through educating myself on whatever I can hahaha)

But yeah.... what I'm saying is... if you're doing computer music... you ALWAYS need an interface at some stage of the signal chain. You can't avoid it. You need something to transfer the 0s and 1s to your computer... period. Even if you have standalone AD/DA, you need the "thing" that will pass that information to the CPU and the hardware. RAM is a slave to the CPU... it just keeps important information close to the CPU so it can utilize it a little faster than having to go allllll the way down the street to the Hard Drive. If you're a chef at home... RAM is basically the equivalent of a refridgerator and pantry fully stocked with all of your food so you can cook. The Hard Drive is the grocery store that has everything there, but takes a little longer to get to.

You need an interface if you're recording. Even if you're using the sh-tty built-in soundcard on the back of your computer... it's still an interface (just usually not nearly as good).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
@ Dallon426
I gave you promise I want be off topic anymore, I hope you will forgive me, but this is maybe rare opportunity to have conversation with big guys which are now in your thread to clear so many things for us, small ones.
@ CPhoenix
I know some kung fu so Focusrite serve me without ASIO driver.
I'm just kidding of course.

With no installed Focusrite drivers, Windows 10 will set some "basic" Focusrite USB driver, which is not, of course, ASIO, just USB driver so it can recognize device. And in, for example, Reaper, I can see Focusrite device but there is no ASIO, so I can choose between other drivers, like WaveOut, WASAPI,... and I can record through them. And for ordinary Windows stuff: listening music for example, device works fine of course.
Gotcha. That's interesting... I've have to have that type of setup to figure out why you notice differences. Sorry I can't help further there. But it's not the driver. Perhaps the settings of the generic non-asio drivers are different somewhere. Maybe it's set to apply less gain. I truly don't know.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
OMG yes. I went from SSL MX4 card to RME FX card and everything changed. Was much easier to balance the levels with things going in and out. Even when using the same converters.
Exactly. And you can screw up the sound of an RME card if you dig into its drivers or slave the dac to the card. Lynx cards makes screwing it up much easier with the different jitter suppression options.

It’s not just samples. Those 1s and 0s have to be read by a program, placed into memory, sent to the driver, which has to be scheduled by the os and cpu to be sent to the interface, which is hopefully slaved to a DAC and has a good PLL or digital clocking system, the interface sends it to a receiver chip which sends it over a cable to a chip in the converter, that receives it and it is then sent to the converter chip properly clocked and then output through the analog stages of the converter. The sound can be screwed up at any stage.

If the cabling is optical, the tolerances for jitter in the receiver chips are huge and it’s very easy to slightly damage toslink cables. If it’s spdif rather than AES/EBU, then you better hope both ends are transformer coupled. Then the internal digital mixers in many interfaces can screw up the sound with bad dsp, the program reading the data can screw up the sound despite claiming to be lossless like foobar2000.

Usb presents a whole host of issues that not even RME has solved despite low latency performance. Properly clocked AES/SPDIF, all the newfangled Ethernet formats, and even clocked MADI are not only more reliable, they sound better.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With no installed Focusrite drivers, Windows 10 will set some "basic" Focusrite USB driver, which is not, of course, ASIO, just USB driver so it can recognize device.
That would be the Microsoft USB 2.0 Audio Class Compliant Driver that recognizes the Focurite units on later versions of Windows 10.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Actually yes. Hahaha. It's INCREDIBLY hard

RME has years and years of experience writing drivers. They are ultra talented at it. Many other companies just simply don't have the expertise, so they rely heavily on the generic code out there (I believe it's called DICE, unless it's changed) and tweak that code as best they can to their unit. The result is.... well.. all of the instability in the Tier 3 market.

SSL would need to hire folks for the sole purpose of coding. And they are new to the interface market so.... they probably just don't have those resources yet. All of their engineering and R&D goes into amazing sounding processing units.. they aren't an interface company.
Thing is, SSL do have a coding team in house. They do all the interfacing coding for the desks etc. They already know how write low latency OS+ASIO drivers.

The fact they didn't write a driver for these new interfaces, that was a bean counter's business decision, not a technical one.
I also doubt the decsion was made at SSL.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
Thing is, SSL do have a coding team in house. They do all the interfacing coding for the desks etc. They already know how write low latency OS+ASIO drivers.

The fact they didn't write a driver for these new interfaces, that was a bean counter's business decision, not a technical one.
I also doubt the decsion was made at SSL.
wow, that's crazy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ ilikefruit

Hi ilikefruit,

thank you for information about Apogee and drivers.
If they decided not to use (develop) ASIO driver and instead they decided to rely on Apples CoreAudio, there must be some really good reason for that and they discovered something. I truly believe the person, like one and only Bob Clearmountain is, will not allow any compromises when sound quality is in the game.
Bob doesn’t have his name on any apogee gear... just a plugin... also, his wife is a bigwig at apogee (correct next if I’m wrong guys) so I doubt that he’d say much either way lol

Not writing their own drivers is lame... full stop. Their converters are great, but, the driver thing is 100% bull poop
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’ve been using digital since the beginning and I’ve yet to use a more reliable platform than RME, period. It just always works... just like outboard.

Just updated the studio and changed the whole brain and went for the RME Madi fx... completely painless and it’ll work until doomsday and probably have driver updates through the second round of doomsday
Old 1 week ago
correct me if I am wrong, but RME designs everything in house and does not rely on any third party hardware. The drivers are written in house as well and this is the reason the hardware and software work so great together. That and years of experience, and passion about making the best products they can. I had spent years with tascam interfaces.. My first interface was the e-mu 1616m. I was always put off by RME because the price range (I was a young penniless producer) Had I had the insight then, that I have now, I would have just bit the bullet and bought an RME interface. Even a used RME Babyface pro goes for about 500.00
I am speaking on behalf of the young producers out there who could benefit from the stability of and RME product. I spent a lot of time being frustrated because of crackles and pops and high latency.
I doubt RME would make a sub 400 product. But, it would be nice for those without money to be able to buy a new RME product. Since the market is absolutely saturated with audio interfaces (and for the most part are not stable and do not perform up to standards) RME is missing out on a big market. If they released something, it would crush the competition because at the end of the day, people need a good sounding, stable, low latency interface. It is a shame the market is saturated with sub par products.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
correct me if I am wrong, but RME designs everything in house and does not rely on any third party hardware. The drivers are written in house as well and this is the reason the hardware and software work so great together. That and years of experience, and passion about making the best products they can. I had spent years with tascam interfaces.. My first interface was the e-mu 1616m. I was always put off by RME because the price range (I was a young penniless producer) Had I had the insight then, that I have now, I would have just bit the bullet and bought an RME interface. Even a used RME Babyface pro goes for about 500.00
I am speaking on behalf of the young producers out there who could benefit from the stability of and RME product. I spent a lot of time being frustrated because of crackles and pops and high latency.
I doubt RME would make a sub 400 product. But, it would be nice for those without money to be able to buy a new RME product. Since the market is absolutely saturated with audio interfaces (and for the most part are not stable and do not perform up to standards) RME is missing out on a big market. If they released something, it would crush the competition because at the end of the day, people need a good sounding, stable, low latency interface. It is a shame the market is saturated with sub par products.
My first RME was a used unit...

Where’s it written that pro-line equipment makers have to market things to broke people? Lol

I’m sure RME considers their raydat, et al as their entry level... consider the Madi fx is like $2k for just the card and over $7k for 32 channels of the latest RME adda Madi to feed the card.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, I wish RME would do a £300 audio interface. The Pro FS is £100(ish) more than the Pro, and the Pro somehow seems to have been phased out completely already. I can't find a single shop in UK that still have it for sale.
So right now, Babyface Pro FS retails for £630, which is just way out of my budget. I mean, my PC is hardly even £1000.

I guess if you're recording audio all day long, a pristine audio interface is more of a priority, but for someone who works exclusively ITB with virtual instruments and have audio recorded by collaborators, it's just hard to justify spending that sort of money, when I can get something half decent like an ID4 and put the £500 towards a better CPU, larger SSD or more RAM instead.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
There will never be consensus on converter quality simply because any element that involves human perception is going to differ from person to person
You might be right, but it doesn't have to be that way. Converter quality can also be evaluated objectively and there's an increasing amount of resources with measurements of audio gear performance, like AudioScienceReview or NwAvGuy or Julian Krause and so on.

Sorry for the offtopic, but maybe someone can find this useful.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Bob doesn’t have his name on any apogee gear... just a plugin... also, his wife is a bigwig at apogee (correct next if I’m wrong guys) so I doubt that he’d say much either way lol

Not writing their own drivers is lame... full stop. Their converters are great, but, the driver thing is 100% bull poop

Only The Bob knows real truth about that.
I can imagine how dear Bob is jumping all around their house and scream:
"Please, make better drivers honey, FORCE THEM to write best sounding and low, low, low latency drivers".
- No Bob, STOP IT!

Just a joke of course , that guy is so close to my heart I even can not describe that.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
My first RME was a used unit...

Where’s it written that pro-line equipment makers have to market things to broke people? Lol

I’m sure RME considers their raydat, et al as their entry level... consider the Madi fx is like $2k for just the card and over $7k for 32 channels of the latest RME adda Madi to feed the card.

You're missing the point. There's no rule. But imo these other interfaces might as well deliver THE MOST important function in an audio interface and that is stability and low latency. There has not been a single company that has done that. RME could and should be the first.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
SSL's initial foray into ASIO was with the Soundscape based PCI cards they acquired back in the day , and the quality /performance of the driver was not anywhere near RME/Lynx.

The USB driver on the original Nucleus was 3rd party and essentially unusable at my end, now using Dante on their version 2.

Quote:
It would have been both, they would not have the technical resources to even attempt a USB solution, so used off the shelf.

I Digress

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hi Dallon426,

On your thread are some high end guys, and they could and in some points I think, they already answered to your questions.
I know just a little bit and I am here to learn, but IMO and what I know, Windows and OS X are important parts in all this, and please, all of you, feel free to correct me, but maybe it is not worth almost anything what guys ( and girls ) are doing to develop best drivers for their interfaces, and I mean strictly drivers for interfaces (I do not know if that can be the same for professional AD/DAC) if and when Windows and OS X developers screw up something in some way, because of "security" things, games things and all that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSW View Post
You might be right, but it doesn't have to be that way. Converter quality can also be evaluated objectively and there's an increasing amount of resources with measurements of audio gear performance, like AudioScienceReview or NwAvGuy or Julian Krause and so on.

Sorry for the offtopic, but maybe someone can find this useful.
They’re not objective, they just chase meaningless numbers in pissing contests. Audio Science Review shills aliexpress products worse than anything mentioned in this thread. Nwavguy’s own products were awful. Open up Aliexpress converters. Open up a Bricasti m1 or Dangerous Convert. There is no comparison for the parts used starting with the power supply and the western r&d. The sound proves it.

Look at the RME rack mount unit’s power supplies in comparison. They’re pretty garbage like most interfaces’. The sound is narrow and weak. They make things run through them narrow aand week. Worst of all ime, the rme power supplies start dying in a few year imparting gross switcher artifacts on anything run through them. The card and dongle interfaces are great don’t hear me wrong but the rack mount gear is not so hot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
SSL's initial foray into ASIO was with the Soundscape based PCI cards they acquired back in the day , and the quality /performance of the driver was not anywhere near RME/Lynx.
You're probably right. However the full Soundscape system was an awesome way for me to get into pro audio in 1999 that was rock solid, sounded great, had great software, had great support, and completely took the 1999 PC out the equation.

But I digress even further . . .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Mega Therion View Post
(...) Look at the RME rack mount unit’s power supplies in comparison. They’re pretty garbage like most interfaces’. The sound is narrow and weak. They make things run through them narrow aand week. Worst of all ime, the rme power supplies start dying in a few year imparting gross switcher artifacts on anything run through them (...)
bs alert!

i got a couple of very old adi8ae in one studio, a nuendo-labelled adi8pro elsewhere, three adi8qsm, three adi-6432's, two m32da's, two 648's, two 642's, a madi router, madi splitter and whatnot:

NONE of them shows any degrading of sound after thousands of hours of use! - only on two of these items, the psu's died after ca. 15 years of use: no artefacts before, they just went down (or the unit couldn't get switched on anymore) and got replaced.

i'm not affliated with rme in any regard but got quite a bit of their gear in daily use along with mostly studer and euphonix (but also ssl, apogee, cranesong, prism, ssl, weiss etc.) - in fact, on some occasions, i prefer the results of my rme converters...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
They’re not objective, they just chase meaningless numbers in pissing contests. Audio Science Review shills aliexpress products worse than anything mentioned in this thread. Nwavguy’s own products were awful. Open up Aliexpress converters. Open up a Bricasti m1 or Dangerous Convert. There is no comparison for the parts used starting with the power supply and the western r&d. The sound proves it.
It's really not about any specific product or website, but about methodology--how do you determine the audio performance of a product. Should you rely on someone's opinion or measurements?
Can you hear a 0.05dB difference between R and L channels? Can you hear a 0.08dB boost at 10kHz? Probably not. OTOH, these are easy to spot even with a simple test and inexpensive gear. People who actually make audio gear rely on such measurements. If you think those are just "meaningless numbers" you're basically suggesting that sound is not subject to the laws of physics.

But enough has been written about various claims of audio quality and all the snake oil in the audio market and the failure to hear things in a blind test... that I don't want to drag this any further. People who want to learn more can do their own research.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
bs alert!

i got a couple of very old adi8ae in one studio, a nuendo-labelled adi8pro elsewhere, three adi8qsm, three adi-6432's, two m32da's, two 648's, two 642's, a madi router, madi splitter and whatnot:

NONE of them shows any degrading of sound after thousands of hours of use! - only on two of these items, the psu's died after ca. 15 years of use: no artefacts before, they just went down (or the unit couldn't get switched on anymore) and got replaced.

i'm not affliated with rme in any regard but got quite a bit of zheir gear in daily use along with mostly studer, euphonix, ssl, cranesong, weiss etc. - in fact, on some occasions, i prefer the results of my rme converters...
It’s not bull ****. That’s my experience with RME. If you want to discount all other experiences but you’re own and people who buy into the hype, then so be it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s not bull ****. That’s my experience with RME. If you want to discount all other experiences but you’re own and people who buy into the hype, then so be it.
sorry to say but it IS bs as you're doing exactly what you accuse me of: to discount all other experiences but your own...

what i mentioned is no hype either, just real-word experience using rme gear over ca. 3 decades without issues - and not just a single unit but dozens of their gear, both interfaces and converters!

if their gear'd be so bad, i can assure you that i wouldn't be using it along my studer über-gear!?!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

Look at the RME rack mount unit’s power supplies in comparison. They’re pretty garbage like most interfaces’. The sound is narrow and weak. They make things run through them narrow aand week. Worst of all ime, the rme power supplies start dying in a few year imparting gross switcher artifacts on anything run through them. The card and dongle interfaces are great don’t hear me wrong but the rack mount gear is not so hot.
What are you talking about?
The developer of S-gear uses an RME rackmount and has for years. In fact I do not know of any cases where the rackmounts stop functioning. I am all for freedom of speech, but when people start manipulating data.... well, let it be known, that your data is not based off of any reality that I am aware of.

Here is a direct quote from Mike of S-gear. Considering his product, well I would be more inclined to trust in him.

"Hello Olsontex, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your thoughts and analysis.

I've been using the Fireface UC in my work for about 10 years and the device has really proven to be a great investment. Drivers are solid, latency is low, audio quality is uncoloured and the Total Mix software is super flexible. Depending on the guitar I might use a DI for higher input impedance on the instrument inputs.

I do have other interfaces and I've tried and tested many different devices but I still choose to use the RME for my day to day work. I do a lot of signal routing and mixing which is where the i/o flexibility and the Total Mix has value. The older UC has no onboard DSP which is not an issue. The half-rack form factor is compact and looks tidy on the desktop if you aren't intending to rack mount.

Depending on what direction you go, you might want to consider external pre-amps for your acoustic guitar setup and perhaps an external headphone amplifier (an area that can be weak on some devices)."

see thread here

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/t...terfaces#21555

These are facts and you can search the web for many many happy RME clients, far more than any disappointed users.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Hi Dallon426,

On your thread are some high end guys, and they could and in some points I think, they already answered to your questions.
I know just a little bit and I am here to learn, but IMO and what I know, Windows and OS X are important parts in all this, and please, all of you, feel free to correct me, but maybe it is not worth almost anything what guys ( and girls ) are doing to develop best drivers for their interfaces, and I mean strictly drivers for interfaces (I do not know if that can be the same for professional AD/DAC) if and when Windows and OS X developers screw up something in some way, because of "security" things, games things and all that.

I did not have any questions.... I had statements and I still stand behind them. I think RME should make an entry level interface. No other company has proven to make anything that particularly stands out as a "stable" product. All this rant came out after I had tried several interfaces, curiosity got the best of me and it led me down the interface rabbit hole. I have ran several tests on many many interfaces myself and they cannot handle any serious work. The UAD Arrow and Apollo were pretty solid, although they had some issues on my windows machine. That is because they specialize in writing for Apple. Rme has proven time and time again, to be the only true workhorse. The babyface pro has been far superior than the various interfaces with thunderbolt that I have used. That includes focusrite, Motu, UAD, although the Presonus Quantum was pretty solid, I did have some issues to begin with. I have tried Apogee, Tascam, Native Instruments, SSL, ESI, Roland, and Steinberg usb interfaces and while some might be fancy to look at, they lack the stability that is essential for any serious producers. This is why I would like to see RME jump into the entry level game. Do I think they will.... No, but do I think they should... Yes. Even if they made a simple 1 in 2 out interface, I would be thrilled.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I had no idea RME interfaces were so "week". Ive thrown my UCX into the BBQ and have replaced it with a Line 6 UX - can you let me know if this was a good move?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Babyface Pro has nothing but TS instrument jacks and an optical out with no word clock. Both the Apogee and SPL smoke RME for sound and preamps. There is no comparison.
While BF Pro isn't the subject of a $200 interface, ....and to be fair to rme, line inputs 3-4 bypass the pres, there is optical in/out for sending or receiving master clock...which in my experience in mixed masterclock scenarios of sp/dif, adat 9-pin, bnc wordclock...optical connections dedicated for clock use..are never problematical. If one particularly wants to use ac rather than bus power, it can be done.

So....as to clocking on this particular $1000 piece...and i/o capability in a portable form....the bf pro isn't just "ts connections and no word clock". You can interface it nicely to a master clock system as slave where other gear is wordclock based. I also like rme's attention to clocking in its own driver development focus.

"Sound" is subjective. My finished products are 45rpm mono/stereo records. Apogee has no hope of smoking rme or anything else in my process...however, I do indeed stay away from $200-$400 interfaces (primarily because they can't sync to clock). Which in my case, is required for the daw slaves and tape machine sync setup.

I like rme although I agree the bf pro isn't necessarily the stellar choice for everyone.

For sure, I wouldn't allocate one cent in exploring whether to produce cheap interfaces ..if I were rme.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quick reply here.... RME has been the best investment for me over the years... Started out with Multiface, then Digiface then RayDAT.... all still working fine, drivers updated etc. and the thing is RME products are not 'just working' but performing flawlessly day in day out... Not once any kind of show stoppers from RME. Rocksolid drivers, updated for a VERY long time... Which has not been the case with some other companies.... RME customer for life here
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

My only issue with RME is that it was cheaper to order a babyface pro from thomann in the u.k. than it was anywhere in the states where I live. That really didn't make sense to me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The USB driver on the original Nucleus was 3rd party and essentially unusable at my end, now using Dante on their version 2.

It would have been both, they would not have the technical resources to even attempt a USB solution, so used off the shelf.

I Digress

That was all pre-Audiotonix.
In the past 24months SSL and other Audiotonix brands have been hiring folks with exactly the skillsets needed to make decent interfaces and DSP skillsets too.
They've also got the knowledge and code bases of Allen & Heath and DiGiCo to draw on now too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search