The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

is anyone seeing my past msg helppp need smallest motherboard posssible could this work https://es.rs-online.com/web/p/raspb...B&gclsrc=aw.ds ras pi 4
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmoz View Post
is anyone seeing my past msg helppp need smallest motherboard posssible could this work https://es.rs-online.com/web/p/raspb...B&gclsrc=aw.ds ras pi 4
No chance for it It has to be an intel processor (and intel NIC), sorry
Here for the gear
Quote:
wow this works 4 sure what computer is it can it be smaller?????
Mac mini, nope.

EliteDesk 800 G1, I think somebody said on this thread that it works (specs are here : https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product...ment/c04266271 it seems to have the required intel NIC).
Gear Head

thanks guys so before jumping could somone reply latest instructions and if i can achieve it with this machine https://www.backmarket.es/hp-elitede...AaAoLLEALw_wcB lets get it guys also check this guy who makes them is he doing same thing il link it see if theirs something to learn from here https://www.ebay.es/itm/184513877030...rockoutrockout
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthebox View Post
Thank you krabbencutter, I found you post an gave it a try. I got a Gigabyte B360M D3H GSM motherboard, a Core i7 9700k, and 8 Gb of ram. I followed you instructions and now I have a working SoundGrid Server...Thank you!
Glad to hear that, have fun!
Quote:
thanks guys so before jumping could somone reply latest instructions and if i can achieve it with this machine https://www.backmarket.es/hp-elitede...AaAoLLEALw_wcB lets get it guys also check this guy who makes them is he doing same thing il link it see if theirs something to learn from here https://www.ebay.es/itm/184513877030...rockoutrockout
Don't wanna be too rude and I 'm sure you mean will, but this whole DIY SoundGrid thing is a community effort so please be willing to invest some or your own time and resources

Regarding ebay: building a custom SoundGrid Server for your personal use is most definitely a breach of Waves' terms of service but no one will probably ever know. Selling a pre-built PC with the SoundGrid OS included however could actually get you into real legal trouble.
The server itself looks fine. I was sceptical about the 1U form factor at first, but that little CPU cooler can actually handle up to 125W TDP https://www.dynatron.co/product-page/k199
It might be pretty loud though.
But I completely 100% recommend never using an HDD in a soundgrid server. It's noisy, needs lots of space, further restricts airflow in small cases, creates additional heat by itself, is a potential single point of failure and you can't replace it without opening the whole thing up.
Gear Head

https://www.tonitrus.com/es/pc-de-es...EaAquKEALw_wcB will this work ??
or what comps are u using ?? can they be listed so its not confusing so then people can start from their
Gear Head

could somone reply latest instructions please ??? and if i can achieve it with this machine ??? https://www.tonitrus.com/es/pc-de-es...PXN2w64bINrSTY. also check this dude out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwQAO0WT35c.
Gear Head

wassssaaaa

1 will i have to have pen plugged during gig on server ?

2 how come we are not all doing this with audiogridder ?

3 with a waves i/o and the diy server will it work like the waves servers at 0.8 latency?

4 can i achieve it with this machine ??? https://www.tonitrus.com/es/pc-de-es...PXN2w64bINrSTY

5 has anyone had it work on said machine

good dayyyyy
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfriday View Post
I just set up a SG Server with a Gigabyte B365 motherboard, which uses a realtek NIC.
Thus far seems to work fine. Thanks for the guide on how to make this work!

Hopefully waves will release a version of SoundGrid that is fully compatible with Catalina. Looks like Version 11 still has some 32bit junk that Catalina doesnt like.
Somehow it still works if the SoundGrid software starts at login, but if I close it and try to reopen the app it complains. Only rebooting allows me to use it agian.
Hey Manfriday, can you list the exact motherboard model you used?
Here for the gear
Gigabyte B365M D3H ??

Can anyone confirm if they had success with a Gigabyte B365M D3H mainboard?

Thanks
Gear Maniac

I have the B365M DS3H and it works fine.
Mine has a realtek NIC on it, but it works. I havent compared the two motherboards but im guessing they are more similar than different.
Old 1 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

anyone tried it with a newer motherboard and cpu? I was looking to buy Gigabyte B360N GSM with no luck. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

anyone know if 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K and Motherboard GIGABYTE B360M D3H GSM will work?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Thanks for confirming!
Gear Head

its obvious the ones that know dont wanna help out really just say yay i ddid it and show off more than helping others and maybe they get ahead and send u more data... not 1 simple list of all the ones that work no responding to easy yes no questions not 1 video lgfnwgnpfnf[mfsmfsmf ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristtiah View Post
anyone know if 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K and Motherboard GIGABYTE B360M D3H GSM will work?
SoundGrid should be happy with everything Intel 8./9. Gen. as long as the motherboard & bios revision support it. I've had success with a Celeron G4930 and i5 9600k. If you check the server specs within your SoundGrid application it will show up as "unknown CPU" or something but that's purely cosmetical.

Quote:
Mine has a realtek NIC on it, but it works. I havent compared the two motherboards but im guessing they are more similar than different.
Glad to hear! It also doesn't matter that much anymore whether your NIC is Intel or Realtek. It's true that up to V9 there was limited support for Realtek but V11 improved NIC compatibility by a lot
Gear Maniac

Quote:
its obvious the ones that know dont wanna help out really just say yay i ddid it and show off more than helping others and maybe they get ahead and send u more data... not 1 simple list of all the ones that work no responding to easy yes no questions not 1 video lgfnwgnpfnf[mfsmfsmf ciao
My guess is that nobody has tried it on that machine, so nobody wants to give you potentially incorrect information by telling you to buy something that hasn't been tested to work. If you want to make this work, and you dont have extra computers laying around to try it out with.. make sure you buy a motherboard that has been tested and is known to work. Pretty much all of the information you need is in this thread. If you vary from that information, you are on your own.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Ok, so I had some success today. Got my server up and running. Here's the specs I can confirm worked for me:

- Gigabyte B365M DS3H (with Realtek NIC but as Manfriday said, it works!)
- Intel Core i7-9700K processor 3.6GHz Octa Core LGA1151 CPU
- Crucial CT8G4DFD824A 8GB Memory
- Booting off a Kingston DataTraveler DTSE9G2 32GB Memory Stick - Plugged into a 20pin to USB 3 adapter cable - mounted inside the case and cable tied so it won't come out.

I had "(Safe Mode)" coming up under Information in SGS, but seems to work fine. Currently running 16 C6's, about 10 L3 MMix, 8 Butch Vig Vocal & an instance of TRACT a few parallel particles instances. Only starting to peak yellow here and there.

Looking for a 1U rack case to squeeze it into as it will be my redundant Waves Server for LV1 (Running the official Extreme 3 Server as primary). Not much space left in the live rack.

I hope this helps others looking to build their own, will report back regarding the performance later.

Last edited by insolucine; 1 week ago at 09:11 AM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by insolucine View Post

I had "(Safe Mode)" coming up under Information in SGS, but seems to work fine.
I think "Safe Mode" wont hurt anything, but I was able to get rid of it by forcing a firmware update.
Open the "setup" panel.
Hold SHIFT-F until the "FW" on your soundgrid server lights up and click that 'FW'.

For me,. it pushed out the firmware again, and "Safe mode" went away.
Gear Addict
Hello, this is a great thread! I have managed to clone to a flash drive, but I would like to clone the image to a partition on the SSD drive. I have not been able to do this. Can anyone suggest a method?
Here for the gear
Quote:
I think "Safe Mode" wont hurt anything, but I was able to get rid of it by forcing a firmware update.
Open the "setup" panel.
Hold SHIFT-F until the "FW" on your soundgrid server lights up and click that 'FW'.

For me,. it pushed out the firmware again, and "Safe mode" went away.
Great! That worked as well!

Thanks a lot!

I'll report back on the thread once I've had time to run further tests.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue439 View Post
Hello, this is a great thread! I have managed to clone to a flash drive, but I would like to clone the image to a partition on the SSD drive. I have not been able to do this. Can anyone suggest a method?
I haven't tried this, but according to the thread below you can switch Rufus into a mode to show internal drives too. But I'd be very careful!

https://superuser.com/questions/1337...al-hard-drives
Gear Head

yea but the first 3 questions have nothing to do with that and no response so it must not only be that

3 with a waves i/o and the diy server will it work like the waves servers at 0.8 latency? some1 prove me wrong
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yea but the first 3 questions have nothing to do with that and no response so it must not only be that
I really don't know, you should try it out and tell us.
I also don't know why would someone want to take the Server software PEN out, I really can't see the need.

Quote:
This Thread is about Soundgrid, audiogridder doesn't work with soundgrid software.
If you want to talk about audiogridder you should do another thread and discuss it there

Quote:
3 with a waves i/o and the diy server will it work like the waves servers at 0.8 latency? some1 prove me wrong
We are all here learning and helping eachother, no one is a master at this we are learning along the way, so no one is here to Prove you anything.

A DIY server works the exactely the same way as an official server, so whatever are the latency specs released by waves the same latencies will apply to the DIY server.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by insolucine View Post
I haven't tried this, but according to the thread below you can switch Rufus into a mode to show internal drives too. But I'd be very careful!

https://superuser.com/questions/1337...al-hard-drives
Yes I did that.
I installed the server image on an a small SSD disk that was internally installed.
I then installed that SSD disc on the server.

I didn't want to have a PEN on the outside that could get broken or loose on the way/return to the Gigs and as I alread had a 40GB SSD drive that I had no use for it was perfect to use on the DIY server.

Worked like a charm
Here for the gear
Quote:

You don't need to have your pen drive sticking out of the outside of the case. Most mainboards have a 20-pin connector to add additional usb ports on them. You can use an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ports-Female-...378378&sr=8-18

Then mount your pen drive inside the case and tie it down with cable ties so it won't come out. This is what I have done. There is no point in getting an SSD as the server boots from the pen drive and loads itself into RAM anyway. So the speed of the pen drive won't have much effect on performance.

If you already own a waves bundle then it's totally worth building a server in my opinion. I use waves plugins live and in the studio. The server just makes it easier and more elegant with lower latency. If that's interesting for you, do it, if not, check out audiogridder
Gear Head

thanks a million sir......thing is i dont have alot of space so im a bit confused on the smallest pc i could get thats has worked b4 ? this thread is hard for dislexics hehehe
Here for the gear

Not showing in server drop down

Guys I bought the HP Elitedesk 800 and followed all the steps Buuuut no server is showing up in the drop down on host computer. The console is active on the server as well as connected to the host via Ethernet. Plz Help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-image_872_0.jpg   DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-image_9885_0.jpg  
Here for the gear
Hey !
Can you try the command again after 20 or 30 seconds to check that you have no "dropped" that appears ? If not, then it's maybe a configuration issue on your host ?
📝 Reply