The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Possibility of use within more fully featured server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
I just ordered a Gigabyte B360N-WiFi, 4GB RAM and an Intel Celeron G4930. If all goes well, I'll be able to report back on v11 compatibility next weekend.
Alright, it took quite a bit longer than planned, but my build was a success

The important thing to know about the Gigabyte B360N-WiFi is, that you need to disable one of the two LAN controllers in the BIOS. It doesn't matter which one. When running the Soundgrid OS, you also need to connect a network cable at boot, or the system might get stuck in a loop until you have a network connection.

For 35€ I didn't expect much from the Celeron and yet it fairs surprisingly well (see attachment). But to be clear: I don't recommend you go for such a low specced CPU.

4GB of memory on the other hand is completely sufficient. I've already mentioned it elsewhere, but unless you're mixing huge live shows you'll not benefit from more than 4GB at all. I checked the memory usage of my server by entering cat /proc/meminfo in the console.
The OS itself only uses around 650mb and after filling up all 128 inserts in SGS my memory usage had increased only by 200mb.

By chance, has anyone tried this within a VM environment... or better yet, an Unraid server with IOMMU passthrough?
📝 Reply