The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition
Old 26th July 2020
  #31
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob274 View Post
For those talking about flash vs hard drive speed, it does not matter. The whole OS is a few MB and is loaded into memory. So maybe it'll boot one second slower...
Thank you so much for the info
Old 26th July 2020
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex marsh View Post
I added more snaps to the album to show plugins & CPU usage.
Pictures
Thank you for the photos, nice looking server actually
Old 28th July 2020
  #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex marsh View Post
I did wonder if there is a way to use the HDD and boot from that rather than a usb hanging out the back of the server? Maybe OP has some insight?
I can recommend getting a 16GB SanDisk Ultra Fit. It's USB 3.1 and very compact, so you don't need to worry about accidentally bumping into it. And if you're taking your server on the road, just flash a couple backup-sticks in advance.

Like bob274 already mentioned, the OS is not even 100mb in size and once loaded, it runs in RAM anyway.
Using an HDD for the server also has only downsides:
- under normal load, the vibrations from the HDD will most likely create more noise than all your fans combined
- if you take your server on the road, one bad bump might just kill the HDD
- it consumes much more power than a USB stick
- it uses much more internal space and creates heat on its own
- you need to open the case to replace it
An SSD eliminates many of those shortcomings, but still doesn't bring any actual value to the table. Even if you just happen to have an SSD lying around, there's a 99% chance you'll find a better use for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
The server image is on the Waves soundgrid installation software, you don't need to use the source code and compile it.
No need for it.

If anyone needs the server image please pm me
Please take a minute to read my FAQ at the top
Old 29th July 2020
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
Please take a minute to read my FAQ at the top
I've read it,
thank you so much.

Last edited by iLCacciLLo; 2nd August 2020 at 11:02 PM..
Old 29th July 2020
  #35
Gear Head
 

Hey Krabbencutter: great research! I got it working really fast. I have a question though, is it possible to shut down the server/computer remotely? I've got no monitor connected to it. :-)
Old 30th July 2020
  #36
Here for the gear
Krabbencutter - thanks for the work and clear instructions. I got up and running in about 10 minutes from unboxing this:
HP Elitedesk G2 i5 6500T

Needed a BIOS tweak, supporting "Legacy" boot, and of course boot from USB.

I don't know how benchmarks are performed for Waves Servers exactly, but 128 instances (48k) of API-2500 is at average CPU 25%, Peak 40%.

Last edited by davebot78; 30th July 2020 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 31st July 2020
  #37
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebot78 View Post
I don't know how benchmarks are performed for Waves Servers exactly, but 128 instances (48k) of API-2500 is at average CPU 25%, Peak 40%.
That seems pretty good.

You should test it out with some reverbs, like the Abbey Road Plates and Abbey Road Chambers
Old 31st July 2020
  #38
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
That seems pretty good.

You should test it out with some reverbs, like the Abbey Road Plates and Abbey Road Chambers
I got 17 H-Reverbs, 10 Abbey Road Chamber, 15 Abbey Road Plate

edit - These were mono instances, I should have been testing with stereo. Half these numbers.

Last edited by davebot78; 3rd August 2020 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: incomplete info
Old 31st July 2020
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebot78 View Post
I got 17 H-Reverbs, 10 Abbey Road Chamber, 15 Abbey Road Plate




Old 1st August 2020
  #40
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
And now for the really good news:

Here's a simple set of instructions how to create a Soundgrid Server V11 USB stick on Windows in about 5 minutes

- install Soundgrid Studio (or another Soundgrid application of your choice) on your System
- Download Rufus https://rufus.ie/
- insert an empty USB stick
- open Rufus and toggle "Show advanced drive properties" (below the "Partition scheme"-Dropdown). You don't need to click anything here, instead click on the "Boot selection"-Dropdown
- select "Syslinux 6.04" from the "Boot selection"-Dropdown
- hit START. You'll get some warning dialogs, as well as some dialogs where you need to allow Rufus to download syslinux.
- download and install 7-Zip https://7-zip.org/
- navigate to C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\SoundGrid Firmware\SGS
- open the .wfi file with 7-zip
- extract the content to your USB stick
- eject the USB stick and put it in your server
Is it important which computer I use to make the USB stick? I wanna connect my macbook pro to the server, but following your instructions on my other PC. Do I need to do this from my mac or is it possible to do from a different PC?
Old 2nd August 2020
  #41
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
- open Rufus and toggle "Show advanced drive properties" (below the "Partition scheme"-Dropdown). You don't need to click anything here, instead click on the "Boot selection"-Dropdown
- select "Syslinux 6.04" from the "Boot selection"-Dropdown
- hit START. You'll get some warning dialogs, as well as some dialogs where you need to allow Rufus to download syslinux.
-
I was able to create the "Syslinux 6.04" on the boot drive, I'm not using a USB PEN has the computer had a 32GB SSD drive installed which I had no other use for.
I followed the instructions and extracted the .wfi content to the drive.

I tried to boot the computer just to see if the installation was successful but although it recognizes the Syslinux 6.04 I get a "No configuration file Found" message an it gets stuck on "Boot: _"



The computer/server is not connected to a soundgrid card or to an host computer,
is this normal or it should boot?

What does the "No configuration file Found" message means?

Thank you so much

Last edited by iLCacciLLo; 3rd August 2020 at 03:06 AM..
Old 3rd August 2020
  #42
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
I was able to create the "Syslinux 6.04" on the boot drive, I'm not using a USB PEN has the computer had a 32GB SSD drive installed which I had no other use for.
I followed the instructions and extracted the .wfi content to the drive.

I tried to boot the computer just to see if the installation was successful but although it recognizes the Syslinux 6.04 I get a "No configuration file Found" message an it gets stuck on "Boot: _"

The computer/server is not connected to a soundgrid card or to an host computer,
is this normal or it should boot?

What does the "No configuration file Found" message means?

Thank you so much
Did you read the post #11 on this topic?
Old 3rd August 2020
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebot78 View Post
I got 17 H-Reverbs, 10 Abbey Road Chamber, 15 Abbey Road Plate
Am I right to assume you're talking about mono reverbs?
Waves own benchmark numbers for H-Reverb are always stereo and even an extreme server can't handle 17 stereo instances at once.
Old 3rd August 2020
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
I was able to create the "Syslinux 6.04" on the boot drive, I'm not using a USB PEN has the computer had a 32GB SSD drive installed which I had no other use for.
I followed the instructions and extracted the .wfi content to the drive.

I tried to boot the computer just to see if the installation was successful but although it recognizes the Syslinux 6.04 I get a "No configuration file Found" message an it gets stuck on "Boot: _"



The computer/server is not connected to a soundgrid card or to an host computer,
is this normal or it should boot?

What does the "No configuration file Found" message means?

Thank you so much
Syslinux needs a configuration file to know which partition & kernel to boot.
Your syslinux installation can't find this config because it's either missing or in the wrong location. Syslinux has to be configured for EFI and the 3 folders from the .wfi file need to be at the top level of your drive.
How did you create the syslinux bootloader?

Once the kernel is booting up, you also need an ethernet connection to your host computer, or you'll get stuck in another loop.
Old 3rd August 2020
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeel View Post
Is it important which computer I use to make the USB stick? I wanna connect my macbook pro to the server, but following your instructions on my other PC. Do I need to do this from my mac or is it possible to do from a different PC?
It doesn't matter. It should also be fairly easy to flash a syslinux bootloader on macOS, but because I don't have a mac I can't test it.
Old 3rd August 2020
  #46
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
Am I right to assume you're talking about mono reverbs?
Waves own benchmark numbers for H-Reverb are always stereo and even an extreme server can't handle 17 stereo instances at once.
You are absolutely correct, oversight on my part. Tried it again, stereo instances. Predictably, I can run 8 H-Reverb.
Old 4th August 2020
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
Syslinux needs a configuration file to know which partition & kernel to boot.
Your syslinux installation can't find this config because it's either missing or in the wrong location. Syslinux has to be configured for EFI and the 3 folders from the .wfi file need to be at the top level of your drive.
How did you create the syslinux bootloader?
Thanks krabbencutter, you were right the problem was that the server folders were not at root level of the drive.

I only had 2 folders inside the wfi file, Boot and Version and I extracted them to another folder inside the drive while they should be at the root level.
Thank you so much for your help, it was easy to solve and it was much more easy than I thought.

Connected the server to a friends Soundgrid system and it recognized it immediately.

Last edited by iLCacciLLo; 15th August 2020 at 07:31 PM..
Old 8th August 2020
  #48
Here for the gear
 

Can't connect to server

Hello and thank you all for keeping this going!

I have the following message on the console: "Please press Enter to activate this console."
On the DAW side the Soundgrid Studio keeps doing scanning network.
Installed: Waves 11 (Driver version: 11.2.62.62, SG Studio Version: 11.0.63.120 Build R 203181)

Thanks,
JA
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-sgs.jpg  
Old 9th August 2020
  #49
Gear Head
 

does anyone know if a GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H motherboard would work for this server build?
Old 10th August 2020
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by javila77 View Post
Hello and thank you all for keeping this going!

I have the following message on the console: "Please press Enter to activate this console."
On the DAW side the Soundgrid Studio keeps doing scanning network.
Installed: Waves 11 (Driver version: 11.2.62.62, SG Studio Version: 11.0.63.120 Build R 203181)

Thanks,
JA
If you reach "Please press Enter to activate this console." that means your server finished booting. If it's still not working at that point, it's probably your network connection. My guess is, that your NIC isn't supported.
Enter the console, type in ifconfig and post another picture. If it shows a lot of dropped packets on your Ethernet interface, then it's probably not supported. What motherboard are you using?
Old 10th August 2020
  #51
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
If you reach "Please press Enter to activate this console." that means your server finished booting. If it's still not working at that point, it's probably your network connection. My guess is, that your NIC isn't supported.
Enter the console, type in ifconfig and post another picture. If it shows a lot of dropped packets on your Ethernet interface, then it's probably not supported. What motherboard are you using?
Thank you for you quick response!
You may be right, I have an Intel pro/1000 pt dual port server PCIe card. And my server is Dell T5500 (Dual Xeon CPUs). I think CPU wise this could be another issue as mentioned on earlier posts. Just wanted to test before heading out a building a new system for this.
One more thing, does anyone know or can recommend good place to get a 2U case for the Gigabyte GA-B150N-GSM motherboard? I think this is Mini-ITX form factor. I would like to built a server I can add next to my rack modules.
Old 11th August 2020
  #52
Gear Head
 

Any ideas? I’m updating my BIOS, hoping that will maybe fix.
MacBook Pro is scanning foe network endleslly..
Edit - updated bios, same thing.
Motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H, connected pc to mac via ethernet to dell usb-c hub (for macbook)
EDIT 2 - was curious to try it on my newer PC with Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi and 9900k. Worked!!!!!!
just loaded up 30 instances of AR TG Mastering, 8 Abbey Road Saturators,cla 76, api 2500. 50% cpu. lol. this is pretty insane.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-028a2e5d-9f0d-4e2e-8bed-19571c0e8ffc.jpg  
Old 11th August 2020
  #53
Here for the gear
 

Compatibility List

Can any one confirm if compatibility is related to only Intel NIC and CPU or is it bound by other hardware components? I also got my self a Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF from ebay; waiting for to arrive to test before I move into bigger budget system.
Old 12th August 2020
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

I just set up a SG Server with a Gigabyte B365 motherboard, which uses a realtek NIC.
Thus far seems to work fine. Thanks for the guide on how to make this work!

Hopefully waves will release a version of SoundGrid that is fully compatible with Catalina. Looks like Version 11 still has some 32bit junk that Catalina doesnt like.
Somehow it still works if the SoundGrid software starts at login, but if I close it and try to reopen the app it complains. Only rebooting allows me to use it agian.
Old 15th August 2020
  #55
Here for the gear
 

How do you shut it off

I got my HP off ebay and I was able to get it running.
Quick question: how do guys shut it down. I learned that it could be power off by typing the command "poweroff -f" in the console. I would like to do the same from Putty remotely.
How do you login and do this from Putty?

Thanks,
JA
Old 15th August 2020
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfriday View Post
I just set up a SG Server with a Gigabyte B365 motherboard, which uses a realtek NIC.
Thus far seems to work fine. Thanks for the guide on how to make this work!

Hopefully waves will release a version of SoundGrid that is fully compatible with Catalina. Looks like Version 11 still has some 32bit junk that Catalina doesnt like.
Somehow it still works if the SoundGrid software starts at login, but if I close it and try to reopen the app it complains. Only rebooting allows me to use it agian.
Thanks for the update! I would help to built a list of components that are compatible with SG. What you guys think?
Old 15th August 2020
  #57
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javila77 View Post
I got my HP off ebay and I was able to get it running.
Quick question: how do guys shut it down. I learned that it could be power off by typing the command "poweroff -f" in the console. I would like to do the same from Putty remotely.
How do you login and do this from Putty?

Thanks,
JA
I was able to connect via Putty using listed IPv6 on the console (ran ifconfig to get this from the server console). Now I need to find out what is the default username/root and password to manage it remotely. If anyone knows, please share. Thanks!
Old 16th August 2020
  #58
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javila77 View Post
Thanks for the update! I would help to built a list of components that are compatible with SG. What you guys think?
That info is already on this and other threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLCacciLLo View Post
The EXTREME server has or had these specs:

EXTREME
CPU: Intel® Skylake i7
RAM: 8 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150N-GSM
LAN Card: Intel on-Board

As for hardware you can use any i5 or i7 processor,
the ethernet/network card has to be a Gigabit intel card.

The specs and more info were posted here:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=71385.0
Old 17th August 2020
  #59
Here for the gear
 

Quick update: (some points maybe redundant to some users)

1) I have tested the USB SG server on HP elitedesk 800 and on a Dell T5500. And both worked fine.

2) SG server is not only bound to i5 or i7 CPUs. My HP has a i7 3.4Ghz, 4 Cores and I have a Dell Dual 3.45Ghz Xeon CPUs, 6 cores each (12 in total)

3) HP on same load consumed around 25%, Dell on same load consumed 9%
Both can be purchased on ebay for around $250 US dollars. It could be a better route to go with a Xeon CPU.

4) I don't think SG server is bound by motherboard but by the chipsets on the motherboard and drivers included on the SG server image. The two things both systems have in common is that both motherboards are Intel chipsets.

5) so far, I tried with a server-grade Intel dual port gigabit network card (Intel EXPI9402PT PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter) and it worked only on Ethernet 1 of the card.

6)IPv6, and switch with jumbo frames support is required. Reason some users may no get it working is because of plugging it to a switch share with their ISP connection without IPv6 support.

I know peple have mentioned SG doesn't work on AMD but I'm starting to think otherwise.
Linux can be run on both CPUs. I think is just the lack of build-in drivers that are the issue. SG server is running in top of BusyBox linux. I don't think is bound by Intel CPU (there is no need for CPU drivers. Application may require specific instruction sets not provided by AMD CPUs) as you can run VST plugins on DAWs running AMD CPUs. I think SG server is just a wrapper that loads VST execution on the SG server via the network.
I got the USB SG to boot on AMD laptop, sadly mine didn't come with an Intel NIC.
Old 20th August 2020
  #60
Here for the gear
 

I'm was playing around with extracted files from the .wifi files. I copied those files to a Ubuntu live USB.

1) I learned you can run "AG_NSServer -help" and it will provide you with a list of switches and options (see attached screenshot).
2) I ran the following command "AG_NSServer -i eth0 -m sgnf AG_NSServer -i eth0 -m sgnf -o ./wsgnf -d" This didn't work as it needs two modules to run. One is a Waves audio driver "wsgnf.ko" and "wevent.ko". Looking at the source code I found there is "boot\initrd_File\etc\init.d\system.bash" file that initiates these two modules. I tried on my ubuntu Live USB using the following command "modprobe wevent" but I got an exec format error.(It may has to do with kernel compatibility, right now module is made for kernel version: 4.19.82-rt30 at least for the version of Waves I have. I'm trying to find a distro that supports that kernel version. This is tricky as it needs the exact same kernel version for it to load the module).
3) In many of the source files there are comments like this "Give priority to intel interfaces". This doesn't mean if would not work for other NIC, just that the current BusyBox is missing .ko for other NIC brands besides "r8169". It also seems from the scripts within that they will pick the first available NIC. Usually eth0.
4) I think is possible to get it to run outside busybox, just need to know what are all the pieces needed. I'll report back any findings.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Waves Soundgrid Server - 2020 Edition-ag_nsserver1.jpg  
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 165 views: 24050
Avatar for caesura
caesura 30th September 2014
replies: 146 views: 29992
Avatar for meric
meric 30th August 2015
replies: 52 views: 17525
Avatar for Glenn Bucci
Glenn Bucci 22nd March 2019
replies: 188 views: 25943
Avatar for SongShark
SongShark 2 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump