The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
REVERBS: Exponential R2/R4 vs Relab LX480 Complete - Opinions?
Old 10th August 2020
  #31
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
you can get an upgrade offer R4 for $29- at Plug In Boutique and Excalibur for $10 at Audio Deluxe....
Thanks for the heads up, great price for R4!

Forgot I even had PhoenixVerb. Saying that, buying the upgrade from PB didn't ask for previous purchases, it just gave me an R4 auth code.
Old 10th August 2020
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Thanks for the heads up, great price for R4!

Forgot I even had PhoenixVerb. Saying that, buying the upgrade from PB didn't ask for previous purchases, it just gave me an R4 auth code.
Maybe they already knew you owned it from before, if it was in your account?

I think plugin boutique is where I bought phoenixverb from on sale.

As for R4, I've always wanted it, but not for the price they were charging. At $29,I grabbed it immediately, and am glad to add it to my reverb arsenal.
Old 10th August 2020
  #33
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Besides the additional reverb and early reflection controls, I noticed that the R4 has a cool Freeze feature, which the R2 doesn't have.

I'm happy I upgraded from R2 to R4 . at an attractive price of $29.
Old 10th August 2020
  #34
Gear Maniac
If I buy R4 at Plugin Boutique for $29 will I have to give up my Excalibur?
Old 10th August 2020
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Pali's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Gardiakos View Post
If I buy R4 at Plugin Boutique for $29 will I have to give up my Excalibur?
No, you won't.
Old 10th August 2020
  #36
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Gardiakos View Post
If I buy R4 at Plugin Boutique for $29 will I have to give up my Excalibur?
NO, I got R4 Upgrade from PhoenixVerb, and there is no mention of giving up anything you have purchased from Exp.Audio to get the Upgrade deal.
Old 11th August 2020
  #37
Gear Guru
I think it also works with Ilok so registers automatically...
Transatlantic Plate is pretty lush for plates...

Enjoying R4 a lot...
Old 11th August 2020
  #38
Gear Maniac
 

I got the R4 from PB too a few days ago. So far I have not geled with it yet. My favorite reverbs are the Lex PCM bundle ones.

I liked Nimbus and I am in love with Excalibur. R4 not so much. I will keep at it with it for the next few days.

Is this an NFR license that we got from PB?
Is there any way of refund? I know I should have demoed it first.

Aaaand... I should have gone for Sonsig :/
Old 11th August 2020
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv0gthir View Post
I got the R4 from PB too a few days ago. So far I have not geled with it yet. My favorite reverbs are the Lex PCM bundle ones.

I liked Nimbus and I am in love with Excalibur. R4 not so much. I will keep at it with it for the next few days.

Is this an NFR license that we got from PB?
Is there any way of refund? I know I should have demoed it first.

Aaaand... I should have gone for Sonsig :/
Huh. Well. R4 is in many ways an improved Lex PCM since it’s the same guy that did both. Doesn’t mean you have to like it, though. Just odd that you’ve don’t like it at all.

Sonsig is great, too. R4 and Sonsig are my top 2.
Old 11th August 2020
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Huh. Well. R4 is in many ways an improved Lex PCM since it’s the same guy that did both. Doesn’t mean you have to like it, though. Just odd that you’ve don’t like it at all.

Sonsig is great, too. R4 and Sonsig are my top 2.
The fact that the same person designed both means nothing really.
Michael even said at some point that the PCM reverb bundle sounded better at its initial release than now, as at some point they had to do an update for the MAC users and that altered the plugin performance or something. Still the PCM reverb bundle is my favorite.

I like the Nimbus one. I will spend some more time with hte R4 of course. It is only the first days and I got quite a few toys I have been checking, getting to grips with during the last few days.

From what I heard it sounds different to R2.

Still.. does anyone know if these licenses we got for both Nimbus and R4 from PB are NFR or?
Old 11th August 2020
  #41
Lives for gear
R4 is incredible, I'd absolutely hold on to it and give it time, especially for the $29 USD price tag you paid for it. It took me a while to find how to tweak it to my taste too, but once I did ... I was in love!

Oh and Sonsig is great for sure, but it's a little different in flavour to R4 imho. I'm happy to own both.
Old 11th August 2020
  #42
Gear Guru
You guys have any favorite presets for R4, and tweaks. No engineer here and make demos to send out for finishing
Old 12th August 2020
  #43
Lives for gear
 
dirtROBOT's Avatar
When I got the cheap R4 upgrade I released my Relab subscription because I already had sonsig on the cheap. Between these 2 I can cover everything I missed from the 480 style random hall. The R4 extra parameters are amazing once you figure them out.
Old 12th August 2020
  #44
Lives for gear
Here are my presets for R4, not sure if they will be to your taste. I really like a brighter, more open sound as I mostly do EDM production.

P.S.: For lush reverbs, I think Sonsig and R4 are a winning combination and all that I personally would ever need (even though I also own LX480). For natural reverbs, I think I slightly prefer VSR S24 over Nimbus due to its modulation.

P.P.S.: If ArtsAcoustic Reverb was still being maintained, I'd also recommend that for super thick, dreamy, lush reverbs. It still has a very unique modulation compared to everything else I own, and while the plugin is rock solid and still works on Windows 10, the company seems to be dead and macOS users will probably eventually be out in the cold if they bought it today.
Attached Files
Old 12th August 2020
  #45
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Here are my presets for R4, not sure if they will be to your taste. I really like a brighter, more open sound as I mostly do EDM production.

P.S.: For lush reverbs, I think Sonsig and R4 are a winning combination and all that I personally would ever need (even though I also own LX480). For natural reverbs, I think I slightly prefer VSR S24 over Nimbus due to its modulation.

P.P.S.: If ArtsAcoustic Reverb was still being maintained, I'd also recommend that for super thick, dreamy, lush reverbs. It still has a very unique modulation compared to everything else I own, and while the plugin is rock solid and still works on Windows 10, the company seems to be dead and macOS users will probably eventually be out in the cold if they bought it today.
Will these work on PC? Thx great help!
Old 12th August 2020
  #46
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Will these work on PC? Thx great help!
Absolutely, simply open Windows Explorer, browse to %APPDATA%\ExponentialAudio\R4\User and paste the XML files there.

They should then appear in your User menu inside R4
Old 12th August 2020
  #47
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgimian View Post
Absolutely, simply open Windows Explorer, browse to %APPDATA%\ExponentialAudio\R4\User and paste the XML files there.

They should then appear in your User menu inside R4
Fantastic!
Old 15th August 2020
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldorodeo View Post
In my quest of the best reverbs in the box I bought plenty of plugins that brings me to the conclusion that LiquidSonics are for the moment the best reverbs I've ever used. That being said, all this is so subjective and vary from one person to another. I own R2 & R4 as well as PhoenixVerb: great reverbs indeed. LX480 sounds nothing like the original ! (I used to own the hardware Lexicon 480).
The last Liquidsonic Cinematic Room covers a variety of settings that can easily mimic lots of hardware algos.try it by yourself.
"NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL"?

You really think this sounds NOTHING like it, like zero percent of it? Wow, sounds pretty darn close to me, a couple of the samples I prefered it over the hardware. It sounds like the qaulity is right there with it. The differences I hear seem like mostly just settings not being exact.

https://youtu.be/z6vieI5i-UI
Old 19th August 2020
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
"NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL"?

You really think this sounds NOTHING like it, like zero percent of it? Wow, sounds pretty darn close to me, a couple of the samples I prefered it over the hardware. It sounds like the qaulity is right there with it. The differences I hear seem like mostly just settings not being exact.

https://youtu.be/z6vieI5i-UI
Sorry for my bad English ! (French)
I meant to say the LX480 plugin sounds exactly like the original hardware unit. Apologize once again
Old 4 weeks ago
  #50
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudedefaren View Post
I shared my thoughts above, but also should say that I demoed R2 and didn't love it enough to purchase, and when they had the R4 upgrade deal I demoed R4 and bought it soon after. However I don't think the difference between the two is really that big, it was just that R4 had just enough to seal the deal for me.

I think it sounds better than equivalent modes in VVV.

Really importantly, I use it on a return channel so that I can add a chorus before it, because the built in modulation just doesn't do it for me. With an external chorus before, it's sublime. That's true of both R2 and R4.
Interesting. What's your go to chorus before R4?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 

Was in the same situation a few weeks ago, even put on a thread about recommendations for specific reverb for orchestral arrangements and was undecided between the two (and a few others).
Purchased both (on sale ) and did lots of tests and comparisons with these two side by side:

R4 wins HANDS DOWN. No story.
The Relab one is "nice" (a PITA to have to go to set the convertor type in order to avoid the added annoying noise)....
But R4 is huge. The sound, IMHO has more depth and richness.
It also has extra features and flexibility the Relab lacks, being theorticaly a straight-on emulation.
So LX480 has basically never been used since and R4 became my go to for many sources.

Also there still a sale going for R4 (29$!) which makes it a total steal....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
Was in the same situation a few weeks ago, even put on a thread about recommendations for specific reverb for orchestral arrangements and was undecided between the two (and a few others).
Purchased both (on sale ) and did lots of tests and comparisons with these two side by side:

R4 wins HANDS DOWN. No story.
The Relab one is "nice" (a PITA to have to go to set the convertor type in order to avoid the added annoying noise)....
But R4 is huge. The sound, IMHO has more depth and richness.
It also has extra features and flexibility the Relab lacks, being theorticaly a straight-on emulation.
So LX480 has basically never been used since and R4 became my go to for many sources.

Also there still a sale going for R4 (29$!) which makes it a total steal....
Relab Sonsig-A makes a nice compliment to Nimbus and R4 for a different flavor - and it's easy to use and sounds better than either of those sometimes. I use Nimbus least often. I am tempted by Relab VSR S24 more than LX480. But... that's just GAS.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Relab Sonsig-A makes a nice compliment to Nimbus and R4 for a different flavor - and it's easy to use and sounds better than either of those sometimes. I use Nimbus least often. I am tempted by Relab VSR S24 more than LX480. But... that's just GAS.
Thanks for the suggestion...
Already got VSS3, which is amazing, so I am good with clean verbs but will demo the Sonsig at one point, even though Relab is not exactly on my top list of companies at the moment after trying the LX480....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #54
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtuesday View Post
Interesting. What's your go to chorus before R4?
Just the stock Ableton Chorus. Don't need to get too fancy, just get some good modulation, and I also use it in combination with the built in modulation of R4. Results in a super thick lush sound, impossible to call R4 tinny at that point
Old 4 weeks ago
  #55
Gear Head
I havent Relab compared to the real thing, but it´s pretty good if you wan´t that obvoious Reverb sound. Huge , larger than life tails. Very Beautiful Sounding.

Exponential Audio , even the R4 one , are pretty different for me ,though R4 is called a Lexicon Substitue.


I find them to be quite "modern" sounding. Meaning, not to be obviosly "reverby" sounding. I don´t like them for enhancing a single sound with reverb, but to give depth an dimension to your mix . create seperation and or glue. i Also like R4 to give dry Vocals Ambience to make them sound bigger and wider, but not necessarily to add a huge tail. Check R4 Small on Vocals! More to create a " soundstage". To me it´s a good tool to create "modern" Mixes. Everything sounds wide and big but without sounding necessarily "reverbed".Still somewhat "dry". More "Glue-Verb" than special FX. Wouldn´t put it on a U2 Recording as an example!

Of course , all very subjective though. The pluginboutiue sales for me are a no brainer. Havent checked out Sonsig yet, though i´m a sucker for reverb and delay.

Last edited by marcello; 4 weeks ago at 09:55 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #56
Gear Maniac
Anyone remember if the bundle of Sonsig/VSR/480 went on sale last Black Friday?

I did the subscription bundle for a year and I don't really care about Sonsig much but I'd like to get VSR and 480 permanently.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 373 views: 48931
Avatar for Floppy Disk
Floppy Disk 11th August 2020
replies: 221 views: 32005
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 22nd December 2016
replies: 510 views: 70339
Avatar for Justin Case
Justin Case 14th January 2020
replies: 1 views: 996
Avatar for xmission
xmission 17th March 2017
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump