The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prism or RME. Which should I get?
Old 19th April 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Prism or RME. Which should I get?

I am looking to get a new interface.

I've it down to a Prism Lyra 2 or a higher end RME.

Mainly for mixing and using outboard and recording myself

Thanks ?
Old 20th April 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
I know it isn’t a popular opinion on this site, but I actually like the RME ADI-2 pro FS better than the prism Lyra 2. Better functionality and the sound is equal. Price is pretty good too. You can really tailor the sound to your liking. The NOS filter at the high sample rates sounds like perfection.
Old 20th April 2020
  #3
Here for the gear
 

I have the Titan and it's spectacular
The preamps are better than on the Orpheus, headphones out are also incredibly good
As a converter no need to introduce Prism
RME is good but not in the same league
Old 20th April 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Thanks for the replies. I keep seeing conflicting arguments as to to RME not being able to hang with the Prism. Choices to make
Old 20th April 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
Thanks for the replies. I keep seeing conflicting arguments as to to RME not being able to hang with the Prism. Choices to make
It’s because RME is a company that makes interfaces where the majority of them do NOT compare to Prism based on conversion. The problem is that they also make a couple pieces that ARE excellent converters. The RME ADI-2 pro fs and M32 pro are among the absolute best converters made today. It will simply come down to personal preference when comparing these converters to any Prism unit. I would try to hear them both, I have and I went with RME.
Old 21st April 2020
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
Thanks for the replies. I keep seeing conflicting arguments as to to RME not being able to hang with the Prism. Choices to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
It’s because RME is a company that makes interfaces where the majority of them do NOT compare to Prism based on conversion. The problem is that they also make a couple pieces that ARE excellent converters. The RME ADI-2 pro fs and M32 pro are among the absolute best converters made today. It will simply come down to personal preference when comparing these converters to any Prism unit. I would try to hear them both, I have and I went with RME.
It is a common practice on GS, people state opinions without having any experience with specific products. "I'm sure I read this somewhere so it IS true." mentality, or having skin-deep experience with a totally different product of a brand and superimposing it to a whole catalogue.

The ADI-2 Pro FS sounds as analytical, natural and 3D as you will ever need.
Old 21st April 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

I don’t own the Prism, but my studio neighbour has one and tbh the drivers and software functionality aren’t a touch on my RME. You’ll often find it said that RME have the most solid and reliable drivers on the market.
, which in my experience I would agree with. Their latest generations of interfaces sound great too...
Old 21st April 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

So maybe I would be better off buy a convertor and hooking it up to my Saffire?

Could that be a better route?
Old 21st April 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

Personally I’d just get the RME. It’s an infinitely better interface than the Saffire.

Using outboard with converters connected via ADAT is bit of a delay compensation headache...
Old 21st April 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 

i suggest checking into multichannel interfaces from rme such as the madiface xt or dante or usb or the ufx+ and then add converters of choice...
Old 21st April 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
whippoorwill's Avatar
I sold my Prism Lyra 2 after trying the RME ADI-2 Pro, nicer conversion to my ears, better resolving DAC and smoother ADC. The Lyra is a touch warmer in the low end, but harsher in the highs.
Old 21st April 2020
  #12
Gear Nut
 

RME ftw. The conversion quality and headphone amps in some of their top tier new products is top of the line and drivers are the best in the industry. On the other hand ive read issues of prism software and drivers. i dont see any benefit going prism over rme. Perhaps a few years ago, today nope
Old 21st April 2020
  #13
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
So maybe I would be better off buy a convertor and hooking it up to my Saffire?

Could that be a better route?
When I upgraded conversion I kept my Motu interface and added a Mytek Stereo192 ADC and a Pro-Ject Pre box S2 Digital DAC / Headphone Amp. (I already had external preamps)
Old 26th April 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

It seems RME might be a better route.

Can you bypass the preamps by chance?
Old 26th April 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Nick Morris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
It seems RME might be a better route.

Can you bypass the preamps by chance?
The RME ADI-2 Pro FS does not have preamps.
Old 26th April 2020
  #16
Lives for gear
 
HOTC's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
The RME ADI-2 Pro FS does not have preamps.
That's that one out hahs
Old 27th April 2020
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTC View Post
That's that one out hahs
theres also the new babyface pro fs. Not their highest end product but still good conversion, mic preamps, same headphone amps from the adi2 pro, adat, line inputs...perfect interface for mixing and recording with great price
Old 27th May 2020
  #18
Gear Head
I was considering to buy RME ADI-2 Pro FS also ,but i think the new Antelope Discrete Synergy Core 8 is much better especially for DA conversion , the dynamic range of the main monitor outs is 130 DB and their clocks are studio standart all over the world .I asked a lot of people to compare even more expensive RME products to Antelope D SC 8 , but everybody said they cant beat them !
Old 27th May 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
Recently switched to RME MADI FX. that card rocks. Integrates into Cubase, no need for Total mix. not cheap. I have an older QS8 set of converters. I actually prefer the sound of my other converters. Burl & Alpha link w/ black lion mods. I use the QS8 for E-drums to get minimal lag.
Old 27th May 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 

i got both a prism ada8xr and a rme adi8qsm (in two different studios) and i personally prefer the rme.

the huge majority of my converters are from studer; lots of other brands though - in terms of soundcards/interfaces, they are only as good as their drivers and in that regard, it's pretty damn hard to beat rme (madi pci card, madiface usb, madiface xt here).
Old 27th May 2020
  #21
Lives for gear
The ADI-2 Pro FS biggest drawback is that it does not have any "modern" digital connection. MADI, AVC or Dante. It can do 6 in 8 out.
Old 27th May 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Recently switched to RME MADI FX. that card rocks. Integrates into Cubase, no need for Total mix. not cheap. I have an older QS8 set of converters. I actually prefer the sound of my other converters. Burl & Alpha link w/ black lion mods. I use the QS8 for E-drums to get minimal lag.
The Madi fx is pretty amazing... I’m super happy with that upgrade
Old 27th May 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
The Madi fx is pretty amazing... I’m super happy with that upgrade
Is there anything other in that league? It is getting quite old though. I would like to see one with madi+avb or madi+dante.
Old 27th May 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
 
kludgeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
It’s because RME is a company that makes interfaces where the majority of them do NOT compare to Prism based on conversion. The problem is that they also make a couple pieces that ARE excellent converters. The RME ADI-2 pro fs and M32 pro are among the absolute best converters made today. It will simply come down to personal preference when comparing these converters to any Prism unit. I would try to hear them both, I have and I went with RME.
The ADI-2 PRO and ADI-8 PRO were designed by some very good people who no longer work with RME, and they are excellent converters. I definitely think the ADI-8 PRO is cleaner than my older Prism AD-124, although I would not be surprised to hear the modern Prism would be better.

But both of these are good enough that you need to make the decision for yourself by auditioning. And if you're willing to spend that much money you might consider trying out the Weiss as well.
--scott
Old 28th May 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
Is there anything other in that league? It is getting quite old though. I would like to see one with madi+avb or madi+dante.
https://www.rme-audio.de/hdspe-madi-fx.html
I don't consider that old.
Old 28th May 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
It 9 years now. It is using PCIe 1.0. Computers today using PCIe 4.0 about 8 times faster. That gives the software more headroom for low latency.
Old 28th May 2020
  #27
I know nothing about the Prism but my RME Fireface UFX II is incredible.
Old 28th May 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJURBAN View Post
I was considering to buy RME ADI-2 Pro FS also ,but i think the new Antelope Discrete Synergy Core 8 is much better especially for DA conversion , the dynamic range of the main monitor outs is 130 DB and their clocks are studio standart all over the world .I asked a lot of people to compare even more expensive RME products to Antelope D SC 8 , but everybody said they cant beat them !
I wouldn't go near Antelope with a ten foot pole. Read some of the threads around here regarding support/drivers/headaches.

Absolutely not a studio standard...I see more people that have pulled Antelope gear out of their set up recently than those that have it. Mid 2010s fad. Literally cannot compare to RME who support their gear with drivers for 15 years past the release date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio View Post
The ADI-2 PRO and ADI-8 PRO were designed by some very good people who no longer work with RME, and they are excellent converters. I definitely think the ADI-8 PRO is cleaner than my older Prism AD-124, although I would not be surprised to hear the modern Prism would be better.

But both of these are good enough that you need to make the decision for yourself by auditioning. And if you're willing to spend that much money you might consider trying out the Weiss as well.
--scott
Hey Scott, I've had a fair amount of experience with the ADI-8 Pro MkIII and loved it. Very clean, musical, very well designed piece of kit! Who are the designers and do you know where they moved on to? (hopefully not Antelope )
Old 28th May 2020
  #29
Gear Head
[QUOTE=Teej;14766630]I wouldn't go near Antelope with a ten foot pole. Read some of the threads around here regarding support/drivers/headaches.

Absolutely not a studio standard...I see more people that have pulled Antelope gear out of their set up recently than those that have it. Mid 2010s fad. Literally cannot compare to RME who support their gear with drivers for 15 years past the release date.


Those software problems are in the past , new products are well supported and working amazingly fine
Old 28th May 2020
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

Many times I thought about switching from RME UFX to something else and then always looked at my ARC remote and knew I can't imagine working without it
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 199 views: 49731
Avatar for MatsNo
MatsNo 5th November 2018
replies: 453 views: 116187
Avatar for rameron
rameron 7th August 2020
replies: 0 views: 2438
Avatar for moustachio
moustachio 28th February 2019
replies: 45 views: 3183
Avatar for Melgueil
Melgueil 3rd August 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump