The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lynx Aurora (N) vs Hilo user feedback
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Lynx Aurora (N) vs Hilo user feedback

Hi,

Has anyone had the chance to compare both and can tell me their opinion about these interfaces?
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

I have. The conversion is practically the same. I loved the dual headphone jacks on the Aurora, but much preferred the Hilo's interface. I sold the Hilo for the Aurora (n). Now I just sold my Aurora (n) to get another Hilo.
Old 6th August 2020
Deleted fa7f7b2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando Calrissian View Post
I have. The conversion is practically the same. I loved the dual headphone jacks on the Aurora, but much preferred the Hilo's interface. I sold the Hilo for the Aurora (n). Now I just sold my Aurora (n) to get another Hilo.
lol I was just about to sell my Hilo for an Aurora (n) literally tomorrow.

So I guess you’re not in need of any extra I/O?

The only reason I’m selling is to get a couple more pairs of I/O...I wish I could just keep Hilo. Because now If I ditch the Hilo I’m forced to get a monitor controller.

There’s actually a way to have Hilo control the Aurora via ADAT but it’s pretty expensive for me to keep both.

I was going to get an older Aurora for cheap and link it to the Hilo but I would have to find one with ADAT card.

I don’t want to buy a monitor controller and I want to use the nice Hilo touchscreen and headphone amp but I need more I/O!!!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3fstaxn View Post
lol I was just about to sell my Hilo for an Aurora (n) literally tomorrow.

So I guess you’re not in need of any extra I/O?

The only reason I’m selling is to get a couple more pairs of I/O...I wish I could just keep Hilo. Because now If I ditch the Hilo I’m forced to get a monitor controller.

There’s actually a way to have Hilo control the Aurora via ADAT but it’s pretty expensive for me to keep both.

I was going to get an older Aurora for cheap and link it to the Hilo but I would have to find one with ADAT card.

I don’t want to buy a monitor controller and I want to use the nice Hilo touchscreen and headphone amp but I need more I/O!!!
I was in the same boat as you, I got the Aurora (n) because I needed more I/O for my SSL mixer which then became my monitor controller. The sound quality is the same, but I did miss the Hilo's features and "portability". I was unwilling to go down in sound quality so I went ahead and made the swap. I later sold my mixer, leaving me without a monitor controller and I no longer needed the Aurora's extra channels.
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

I've been considering getting an Aurora N and selling my current Apollo x8. Is a monitor controller necessary with the Aurora N? Is there not a feature to control volume and levels within the interface as the Apollos have?
Old 11th August 2020
Deleted fa7f7b2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
I've been considering getting an Aurora N and selling my current Apollo x8. Is a monitor controller necessary with the Aurora N? Is there not a feature to control volume and levels within the interface as the Apollos have?
Yup, if you just need a single pair of monitors, was told by a friend that he can control it from the software and he got rid of his monitor controller. It’s just digital attenuation, tho.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fa7f7b2 View Post
Yup, if you just need a single pair of monitors, was told by a friend that he can control it from the software and he got rid of his monitor controller. It’s just digital attenuation, tho.
I see. I am only controlling a single pair of PMCs. I wonder if "digital attenuation" would be any different then turning the knob down on the front of my Apollo interface..
Old 11th August 2020
Deleted fa7f7b2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n28 View Post
I see. I am only controlling a single pair of PMCs. I wonder if "digital attenuation" would be any different then turning the knob down on the front of my Apollo interface..
Some people say physical analog volume control (like on your Apollo inferface? I don’t know unless it’s a digitally controlled knob) is better as it’s not stepped and I think there’s more reasons they have but I don’t know.

Personally, I think there’s more important things that matter!

I use the one built into Hilo.
📝 Reply