The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using 3DConnexion SpaceMouse for audio work?
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut

Anyone using 3DConnexion SpaceMouse for audio work?

Is there anyone using a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse for audio work?

I’m thinking of getting one (compact version) for 3D-modeling but was thinking of use it for audio work as well but is there anyone using one for it?
Can you customize them to control different things? I know that Kensington trackball’s software can be customized to control different functions/keyboard shortcuts in different applications.
Would be nice with something similar even if this doesn’t have that much to customize.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Okay, so it seems not many people use 3DConnexion products for music production/audio work or they're really shy.

Here's some images of the products just to let you know what I'm talking about.

Spacemouse Compact

Spacemouse Pro

(sorry for the large pictures, I don't know how or even if it's possible to resize the images to show a smaller thumbnail)

Is there at least anyone that has use/tried these in the past? What did you think of them?

The Spacemouse Pro looks really ergonomic (haven't tried one and it's too expensive for a mouse or if I got it right it's not really a mouse but you need a mouse as well, these are for your second hand..)

I would however like to try out the Spacemouse Compact but it's sad it doesn't come with some sort of support for your wrists, guess I'll have to make/3D-print one myself, hopefully not too complicated.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

I've not used one of those, but my general experience of puck type drawing devices is that they make crap mice.

I'd imagine all the software is going to be focused on making the device work with autocad and the like, not DAW software. If they supported anyone it'd be Avid, and not on their support list.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit View Post
I've not used one of those, but my general experience of puck type drawing devices is that they make crap mice.

I'd imagine all the software is going to be focused on making the device work with autocad and the like, not DAW software. If they supported anyone it'd be Avid, and not on their support list.
I'm thinking more in the lines of customization and it's only the small one I'm actually thinking of buying and I do actually work with 3D modelling so it will come to use anyway just wanted to ask because I know lots of studio people prefer the trackballs from Kensington, this is a bit different but maybe none tried it.
Old 17th February 2020
I have the puck thingy. It's not a replacement for a mouse at all and it can't really do sensible things with your DAW or your plugins. But what you can do is to get OSCulator software and use it as a MIDI controller for expressive playing of your instruments!
https://osculator.net
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmerised View Post
I have the puck thingy. It's not a replacement for a mouse at all and it can't really do sensible things with your DAW or your plugins. But what you can do is to get OSCulator software and use it as a MIDI controller for expressive playing of your instruments!
https://osculator.net
Okay I see. I just remember I read something about someone using one or the larger ones for his DAW/editing or something and had done a ton or work and then contacted the company behind it offering them it to continue to develop to get another audience but they wasn’t very interested but if I remember either this was years ago and I thought maybe they changed their mind more customers should be tempting especially if there’s a lot work already done that you could use to test the waters I could we some use for it like transport scroll (if very responsive) and then click one button to zoom the another button to control volume (preferably very high definition or if they at least let you customize how many steps to move)... but I understand it’s not a wheel to scroll and therefore people might be confused about it.

Anyway I could have use for it for my 3D modelling stuff but maybe not my DAW (Logic) then...

But regarding that, I’ve had an ideas about a keypad that you can program with some keyboard shortcuts and I’ve read some about it that there was some software that let the num-pad be seen as different keys from the regular num-pad if you already had one, okay okay that’s another topic for another thread.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

Have a search through 3dconnexion's support forum.
Several DAW users have posted in there.
Old 18th February 2020
AFAIK there simply are only integration drivers for selected/supported 3D software solutions. They will not work at all with a DAW unless you can map the raw data into MIDI or OSC, as someone posted above.
All in all not a good investment for serious DAW work.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

No it's certainly not. I was thinking the buttons actually could be mapped.

The company didn’t even answer my email (at least not yet) and I said I was a potential customer for the 3D modeling so not sure how interested I am but we’ll see, if modeling still feels cramped (because it might just be the lagging but of course it’s easier with a dedicated tool like thr Spacemouse even with a new computer I might just have to get something similar or swallow my pride...
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

I bought one sometime ago, for the purpose of using it while learning Blender, but I never got to really use it ( or even learn Blender ). And i think you need to have a driver to have it working with a DAW, and no one seems interested in supporting it for audio work. Which is a shame really.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search