The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin suddenly killing latency
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Plugin suddenly killing latency

Hey

My Audient ID22 has serious latency issues. Even when I run audio buffer on 1024 samples I get crazy amounts of pops and clicks and drop outs when I load a plug-in like Quantum Leap East West reverb. This plugin has never caused any problems before.

Heavier plug-ins like Waves Abbey Road just stops the whole project.

Any ideas how latency can suddenly become a lot worse on a machine/Interface?
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac

BTW, I am running Cubase Studio 8.5 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop: i7/6700HQ/RAM:16 GB, 128 SSD and HD (5400 rpm)
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear
Dell computers are not designed for audio use. Combine that with a USB interface, and you are experiencing the results.

My only suggestion is see what operations(Drivers/programs) you can shut down and what you can get off the USB buss.

MS office is one of the worst programs for eating up CPU cycles in case you have that installed.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I have only ever used Dell for music production, and it's always been completely hassle free. Never before on a laptop though.

Thank you for the comment. I have already tried to find background functions etc. Haven't figured out anything useful yet.
Old 16th February 2020
Try testing the plugins in Reaper daw to see if the problem is cubase. You can download and install it in like 2 minutes- demo is uncrippled.

Otherwise reinstall your audient drivers.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Also... open up task manager and kill EVERYTHING in the startup that you don’t absolutely need
Old 16th February 2020
Also, make sure you are using the Audient driver in Cubase and not some other driver. Go in your audio preferences/ setup section.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone for your input!

I have tried all your ideas, and I have also updated BIOS drivers as well as the Audient ID22 driver, but still the same problem. I have also tried all the ideas to optimising my system to audio production. I got this from Audient customer service.

I think the only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to reinstall the USB drivers.

It's a mystery. ASIO Buffer sixe of 1024 and almost continuous clicks, pops and audio drop outs ...
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Addict
Run LatencyMon for like 5 minutes and see what it reports.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Maniac

So I ran LatencyMon. Thanks.

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

Also:

"The measured CPU speed is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported", whatever that means.

Also, any process that has a latency above 1 (I think) is a problem.

Well, here is a few lines from the report:

dddriver64Dcsa.sys (Dell Diags Universal Driver): 21,110357
wfd01000.sys (Driver framework, running core mode): 9,949842
dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel): 4,535579
storport.sys (Mirosoft Storage Port Driver): 2,385605
HDAudbus.sys (High Definition Audio Bus Driver): 1,576132
ntoskrnl.exe (NT KErnel & System) :1,570130
rspLLL64.sys (Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library):1,478941

Again: Any suggestions for solving this is highly appreciated. I am already beyond grateful for all your suggestions.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Addict
turn off/uninstall all the Dell Diagnostics stuff. For the others, google the offender and see if it is safe/how to disable.

Then do the latencymon cycle again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Removing Dell Diagnostics actually made a world of difference. Wow. Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Sweet. Glad it's working out for you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search