The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need 8 mic input audio interface
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Need 8 mic input audio interface

Hej dear gearslutz

I sold my apollo twin mk2 quad cause i need more mic inputs (8 is enough) for my master thesis research

I will record a string quartet and try different mics and positions, measure the differences etc. So transparent converters will be very good for me.
I can sell Interface after my project but if its future proof that will be perfect for me.

My max budget is 2500$ and I have an thunderbolt 2 imac but i can also work with usb
Please ask me any questions if i am not clear enough
Thx for recommendations
Old 1 week ago
Grace m108?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

MOTU 8m. Very happy with mine!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
Grace m108?
Thx
Im thinking more of audio interface rather tgan mic preamp
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
MOTU 8m. Very happy with mine!
I checked motu but im curious how is the software side of unit performs
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathetique View Post
Hej dear gearslutz

I sold my apollo twin mk2 quad cause i need more mic inputs (8 is enough) for my master thesis research

I will record a string quartet and try different mics and positions, measure the differences etc. So transparent converters will be very good for me.
I can sell Interface after my project but if its future proof that will be perfect for me.

My max budget is 2500$ and I have an thunderbolt 2 imac but i can also work with usb
Thx for recommendations
Metric Halo ULN8 3D (I believe I saw one in the classifieds for around that budget)..

The Grace 108m, is capable of being an audio interface (through usb).. never used it though, just saying that it does more than preamp and AD stages..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thx
The m108 can be used as audio interface via USB.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_net77 View Post
The m108 can be used as audio interface via USB.
Slightly over budget, but this is the deal, IMO.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Or, if budget is strict, try a Motu 8Pre-es. I have one and I find it not coloured at all, and it is quiet. And it is Thunderbolt + USB. PS: never had a issue with software or firmware.
I have to say that I always prefer the m108, but it worth a try IMHO.

Last edited by al_net77; 1 week ago at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Changed verb
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if your interface has adat, aes, madi, dante etc. inputs, you could add a mic pre for additional inputs (and sell it again after completition of your task at hand).

or maybe check out the new rme 12mic pre/interface, look at focusrite, cannot really recommend antelope (poor support/drivers)...

what's the topic of your master thesis/research?

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 week ago at 03:59 PM.. Reason: suggestions added
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Although I mostly use Digital Audio Denmark [implemented as a Pro Tools MTRX, and way out of the price range], I'm very much a fan of Grace - which is far closer to your budget.

However, from your short description, I would be very much inclined to go with the MixPre-10 II instead. There are a few reasons for this. . .
  • No way you lose anything to clipping, compressors, or limiters when in Sound Devices' 32-bit float mode - where I would always be in such scenarios as you describe.
  • Maximum portability and convenience.
  • Built-in timecode. If you are also capturing video [you will also want something like an Ambient or tentacle sync timecode generator for each camera].
  • Great file capture and transfer options.
  • Relatively low cost with great quality and a lot of bang for the buck!
  • It can work as an interface if you really need it to; but you give up 32-bit float to do so. Personally, I would just transfer the 32-bit float files into your DAW, MATLAB, or whatever other software you require for your thesis.

Of course, as you answer @ deedeeyeah 's question 'what's the topic of your master thesis/reasearch?' there may be other thoughts.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

With MixPre-II latest firmware, you CAN use it as a 32-bit float USB audio interface.

Paul
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
Although I mostly use Digital Audio Denmark [implemented as a Pro Tools MTRX, and way out of the price range], I'm very much a fan of Grace - which is far closer to your budget.

However, from your short description, I would be very much inclined to go with the MixPre-10 II instead. There are a few reasons for this. . .
  • No way you lose anything to clipping, compressors, or limiters when in Sound Devices' 32-bit float mode - where I would always be in such scenarios as you describe.
  • Maximum portability and convenience.
  • Built-in timecode. If you are also capturing video [you will also want something like an Ambient or tentacle sync timecode generator for each camera].
  • Great file capture and transfer options.
  • Relatively low cost with great quality and a lot of bang for the buck!
  • It can work as an interface if you really need it to; but you give up 32-bit float to do so. Personally, I would just transfer the 32-bit float files into your DAW, MATLAB, or whatever other software you require for your thesis.

Of course, as you answer @ deedeeyeah 's question 'what's the topic of your master thesis/reasearch?' there may be other thoughts.

Best wishes,

Ray H.

I have been using my Zoom F8 for multitrack location recording for a few years now and I am quite curious on the sound device suggestion of yours.

I am curious on how would the mixpre compare to the Scorpion in your opinion.

Also, I am in fact thinking of moving towards 1u Dante/AVB interfaces now as I find the time of changing SD cards and injecting files between takes tedious and would really love the capability to record into DAW and backing up the original files simultaneously. How is your experience with this?

The Zoom does have a function which allows the F8 to operate as a multitrack ASIO interface of 48khz while also recording internally to the SD card, but I Would prefer to record at 192khz if possible. Would the Mixpre/Scorpion allow similar function at 192khz with reasonable latency?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hej dear gearslutz

Thx for recommendations
Thanks for the reminder that I need to get around to selling my MOTU 828x...

Have you considered the Presonus Quantum?
  • 8 XMAX preamps, all discrete circuitry at 30V -- no op-amps.
  • 2 ADAT S-MUX ports -- I added 2 Presonus Digimax FS units
  • 3.5ms RTL @ 44.1khz /64 sample buffer (!)

You can daisy chain these (including the Quantum 4848) inside their driver up to 4 units -- no CoreAudio aggregation performance issues, *and* multiple device support inside ASIO.

I have no opinion on the new 2626, but the Quantum is extremely transparent, expandable and is one of the fastest interfaces available.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttong View Post
[. . .] I am curious on how would the mixpre compare to the Scorpion in your opinion. [. . .]

Dante/AVB interfaces [. . .] to record into DAW and backing up the original files simultaneously. How is your experience with this? [. . .]

Would the Mixpre/Scorpion allow similar function at 192khz with reasonable latency?
Your questions are better answered by someone with hands-on experience with the Scorpio. It seems a very, very compelling device. . .that I do expect to purchase somewhere in the future.

I usually have multiple video cameras running, so running directly into a DAW is less compelling in my case - given my workflows. When transferring files, I almost always use thunderbolt rather than removing/swapping cards. I'm definitely glad to see Dante in the Scorpio, though.

My older MixPre-6 only supports up to 96 kHz in 'interface' mode - and don't recall any notable latency issues in 'interface' mode. It does record 192 kHz when in Audio mode; but I'm instead on the Pro Tools MRTX for 192 kHz work. So others will hopefully have more relevant input.

Best regards,

Ray H.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Your questions are better answered by someone with hands-on experience with the Scorpion. It seems a very, very compelling device. . .that I do expect to purchase somewhere in the future.

I usually have multiple video cameras running, so running directly into a DAW is less compelling in my case - given my workflows. When transferring files, I almost always use thunderbolt rather than removing/swapping cards. I'm definitely glad to see Dante in the Scorpion, though.

My older MixPre-6 only supports up to 96 kHz in 'interface' mode - and don't recall any notable latency issues in 'interface' mode. It does record 192 kHz when in Audio mode; but I'm instead on the Pro Tools MRTX for 192 kHz work. So others will hopefully have more relevant input.

Best regards,

Ray H.
Thank you for sharing that! This really helps clearing my mind. I will look out for Scorpion posts, the Dante feature really sets it apart from all the other Protable recorders/interfaces
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I use a Digico/Waves LV1 system with a IOS 8 channel and a IOX 12 channel rack mounted devices that have Digico "D" pres and clean digital conversion chips. My suggestion is to research leasing an integrated, optimized system like mine that is capable of delivering world class sonic audio quality. You wont buy it for 2.5K but you may well be able to lease one for less money than you will loose buying and selling a single pre-amp device.
Hugh
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttong View Post
Thank you for sharing that! This really helps clearing my mind. I will look out for Scorpion posts, the Dante feature really sets it apart from all the other Protable recorders/interfaces
I was considering the Sonosax perhaps a year or so ago. They were advertising a Dante option; but didn't actually have it yet - a deal killer for me with devices in that price range. I understand they do now. . .likely others do as well toward the high end [Cantar, etc.].

I'm rather hoping that the Scorpio will eventually be modified to support a 32-bit float architecture similar to the MixPre II implementation. If/when SD does that, they've got me for sure.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I was considering the Sonosax perhaps a year or so ago. They were advertising a Dante option; but didn't actually have it yet - a deal killer for me with devices in that price range. I understand they do now. . .likely others do as well toward the high end [Cantar, etc.].

I'm rather hoping that the Scorpio will eventually be modified to support a 32-bit float architecture similar to the MixPre II implementation. If/when SD does that, they've got me for sure.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
The Sonosax SX-AD8+ sure seems a good solution. It looks just like Zoom F8 with a ethernet port drilled onto its back. At about 4 times the price as the Zoom, I'm not so sure how it justifies that. especially when the Zoom actually has a descent preamp. But a premium device sure deserves a premium price tag. If It's anyone's fault, then Zoom should be blamed for spoiling pro-sumers like myself by delivering half-descent products at amazing cost. For almost most applications, the Zoom solution could just suffice, apart from senarios where more critical demands and professional features are in need.

Well, SD has just upgraded their Scropio to firmware 3.0 to support a few rather nice features. For a premium device like this I would hope they deliver some more outstanding features. A half U sized, Dante equipped, Multi-channel Mixer/interface with amazing preamp and high fidelity 32 bit recording is definitely an attractive product.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Best wishes,

Ray H.
P.S, did Paul at #12 just say that Scorpio now supports 32 bit in interface mode?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thx
The Grace m108 is in fact a decent interface.

I am also curious on your Master topic, I believe having a more detailed description of your specific needs is going to help the guys here with more suited recomendations.

I'll actually recommend having a look at the Focusrite products, especially the Red line.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
Thx for all posts this has been great for me.
My thesis subject is recording process of string instruments in solo and chamber music form.
I will try different mic, room and instruments, analyze what kind of difference i get with which application. I am also a violin player working in a symphony orchestra so this will be very interesting research for me.

I was really checking out metric halo uln8 and grace m108 interfaces but they dont sell interfaces in my country and the price goes too much for me if i buy with online shipping.

I started to get hype around RME ufx ii and ufx+. It also has ios recording option, so that will be great for me. I can buy second hand audient adat with it so i will have 12 mic inputs.

I dont know anything bout MOTU so if u know both interfaces can u compare them

Thx
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thx for all posts this has been great for me.
My thesis subject is recording process of string instruments in solo and chamber music form.
I will try different mic, room and instruments, analyze what kind of difference i get with which application. I am also a violin player working in a symphony orchestra so this will be very interesting research for me.

I was really checking out metric halo uln8 and grace m108 interfaces but they dont sell interfaces in my country and the price goes too much for me if i buy with online shipping.

I started to get hype around RME ufx ii and ufx+. It also has ios recording option, so that will be great for me. I can buy second hand audient adat with it so i will have 12 mic inputs.

I dont know anything bout MOTU so if u know both interfaces can u compare them

Thx
Nice theme!

Have you checked Antelope’s hardwares yet? Apparently their support isn’t as good but their gears are packed with features such as the Orion studio synergy core with 12 preamps built-in while taking only 1u of space.

I’d recommend using Mac computers than Windows when working with Antelope. Because their windows drivers are reported bad, yet Mac users seemed fine.

Just be aware that you may need to investigate into getting that to work, but as for built quality and preamp numbers they rock.

Another solution, if you would use ADAT, is perhaps getting the RME Digiface usb, which has nothing more than 4 sets of ADAT I/O and then getting the RME Octamic II or any ADAT Preamps.

I’m looking still for Dante/Ravenna/AVB solutions, the new RME 12MIC seems very very interesting. But I’ve seen no review of it yet. RME stuff are usually rock solid and definitely reliable. So this might be the best solution.

Also, the UAD X8P is a good choice if you want to use their plugins to experiment. It’s also got 2 adat ports so expandability is also guaranteed.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's very reasonable idea IMO. UFX II or plus and Audient pre would be good combo. And rather very versatile - studio, field recording.. Mac, PC, iPad. Solid longterm support.

Michal
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
...so the eight mics will be used as spots on a string quartet plus a pair of mains and another pair of ambis?

(before i forget: go the rme way! madiface xt and various preamps here)
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...so the eight mics will be used as spots on a string quartet plus a pair of mains and another pair of ambis?

(before i forget: go the rme way! madiface xt and various preamps here)
I will record each instrument in solo with different mic, room settings. After that i will record a quartet with also diffrent settings.

A lot of people recommend RME by the way.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

...and by "settings", you mean different positions of musicians and mics or even venues/halls? what's the purpose? it's clear that different mics, patterns, positions, technique etc. will yield different results, so...

(i'm just curious what exactly you're trying to find out, not any critique - how could i without knowing details!)

___

and regarding rme: it's no secret that they possibly write the best drivers (meaning: their interfaces run stable on pretty much any version of any os) and support gear for ages (meaning: they update drivers so legacy gear can keep running on newest pc's and os)!

to illustrate: i'm touring a lot and rather than schlepping arount pc's (which is a drag when you travel by plane), i carry but two interfacs and then rent pc's locally: i haven't come across a single mac or pc in 20 years on which i couldn't get my rme-interfaces going within 5 minutes!
now try doing this with say antelope...

i like rme's top-of-the line mic pres; cannot comment much on those built into their interface but have no reason to believe they'd be less suitable to your needs than offerings from other manufacturers.

personally, i favour 'neutral' platforms with digital i/o's over interface with lots of mic pres/converters so i can add any outboard gear from any manufacturer at any time (and get rid of it should i want to reduce or change my setup).

hence i'm using the rme pci-card or the madiface xt (or madiface usb on smaller projects); audio-over-ip is probably more 'future-proof' but there are a bit too many formats for my taste and chances that you occasionally run into issues (if you're not network-savy) are much higher than when using madi - i've had not a single issue in more than 20 years of (almost) daily production in five studios and lots of live events relying on madi!

(well, i had one incident last year with a desk going down - which was caused by a crash of ssd disk though, so not related to madi!)

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 day ago at 01:46 PM.. Reason: info added

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search