The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2020 Hackintosh Thread
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

To @ djkcb , why not the Designare instead as I saw you’ll buy the Titan Ridge add-on card for your Aorus?

The TB3 included chipset is the same on the Designare and reported doing well with a good number of TB interfaces. You have to check TonyMac’s CaseySJ thread to see what works and what doesn’t.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...rx-580.267551/

Patrice
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brousseau6933 View Post
Similarly to @ djkcb , I ordered the following parts:

- i7 9700K;
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare (plan to buy a Quantum 2626 later...);
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 [email protected] MHz DDR4 (2x16);
- be quiet dark 4 cooler;
- Fractal Design Define R6 case.

I’ll reuse PS (EVGA Supernova 650P2) from my previous office machine Hack.

I have a bunch of GPU’s to choose from: GT740; GTX670 or RX580 (ideally, I would left this one to my son). The two SSD’s inside my current DAW (Dell Optiplex 9020, does a really cool little stable hack since two years, i7 4770) will be transferred inside the new hack.

The SSD’s inside my actual work/office computer (Z97X-UD3H) will go inside the Dell, this one becoming the new Office machine...

The actual office machine will be gifted to my son (with the RX580 ideally, to replace his old Saffire R290 Tri-x, gaming!!). We will remove the SSD inside his i5 4560 build and sell the computer at low price.

Anyway, back to the subject:

- I already picked-up the memory, case (this thing is huge!) and cooler. My NewEgg order consisting of MB and CPU is supposed to come in the two first weeks of July.

I’ll keep Mojave 10.14.6, in fact keeping the actual DAW SSD as is and only modifying the EFI to accommodate the new config.plist, kexts and ACPI patches.

I’ll go with the same Clover version (if ain’t broken...), 5099. iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

To help me, there is a loooooong thread from CaseySJ at TonyMac and I’ve collected a lot of EFI folders from different DAW users.

For the record, the Dell is a wonderful little Hackintosh but since the news about Apple switch to Arm, I saw the opportunity to build a good recent Hack that will last me the next 7-8 years to come.

I still use my MacBook Pro early 2011 for DAW duties so I’m in the philosophy of using at max what I have.

BTW, not doing this for a living, only an hobby beside my day job (elementary school music teacher) so, no pressure!

Sorry for the long post...

Patrice
Thanks man!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Similarly to @ djkcb , I ordered the following parts:

- i7 9700K;
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare (plan to buy a Quantum 2626 later...);
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 [email protected] MHz DDR4 (2x16);
- be quiet dark 4 cooler;
- Fractal Design Define R6 case.

I’ll reuse PS (EVGA Supernova 650P2) from my previous office machine Hack.

I have a bunch of GPU’s to choose from: GT740; GTX670 or RX580 (ideally, I would left this one to my son). The two SSD’s inside my current DAW (Dell Optiplex 9020, does a really cool little stable hack since two years, i7 4770) will be transferred inside the new hack.

The SSD’s inside my actual work/office computer (Z97X-UD3H) will go inside the Dell, this one becoming the new Office machine...

The actual office machine will be gifted to my son (with the RX580 ideally, to replace his old Saffire R290 Tri-x, gaming!!). We will remove the SSD inside his i5 4560 build and sell the computer at low price.

Anyway, back to the subject:

- I already picked-up the memory, case (this thing is huge!) and cooler. My NewEgg order consisting of MB and CPU is supposed to come in the two first weeks of July.

I’ll keep Mojave 10.14.6, in fact keeping the actual DAW SSD as is and only modifying the EFI to accommodate the new config.plist, kexts and ACPI patches.

I’ll go with the same Clover version (if ain’t broken...), 5099. iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS.

To help me, there is a loooooong thread from CaseySJ at TonyMac and I’ve collected a lot of EFI folders from different DAW users.

For the record, the Dell is a wonderful little Hackintosh but since the news about Apple switch to Arm, I saw the opportunity to build a good recent Hack that will last me the next 7-8 years to come.

I still use my MacBook Pro early 2011 for DAW duties so I’m in the philosophy of using at max what I have.

BTW, not doing this for a living, only an hobby beside my day job (elementary school music teacher) so, no pressure!

Sorry for the long post...

Patrice
You don't want to be using a GT740 or GTX670, so your only choice would be RX580.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
You don't want to be using a GT740 or GTX670, so your only choice would be RX580.
If GT740 was an option then RX570 is also the way to go. I have one and it works perfectly with Mojave 10.14.6
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Care to elaborate why? For the record, my actual Dell Hackintosh is fitted with a GT710, enough for my needs.

Thanks,

Patrice
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Care to elaborate why? For the record, my actual Dell Hackintosh is fitted with a GT710, enough for my needs.

Thanks,

Patrice
GT710 will work for sure but for OS X 10.4.x and above, it is not good solution as it does not support Metal processing vastly used by FCP or even LPX
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks,

Patrice
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with the 580 for the foreseeable future with Mac OS upgrades, but you'll likely have big problems with any card Nvidia as they (and Cuda) aren't supported.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I’m using Reaper. Anyway, plentiful of RX580 in the classified here. The MSI RX580 I have must go to my son’s computer...

Thanks,

Patrice
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear