Gear Head

Is 256gb enough for an OS drive?

OS X

Strictly a music computer

Ableton
GarageBand
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate
MOTU Mach 5

All sound libraries stored on external SSD, but will the 256 give me enough ‘breathing space’ for all the apps listed above plus their associated effect plug ins?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikelets View Post
OS X

Ableton
GarageBand
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate
MOTU Mach 5

All sound libraries stored on external SSD, but will the 256 give me enough ‘breathing space’ for all the apps listed above plus their associated effect plug ins?
It can work - but doesn’t give enough wiggle room for me. I want at least 500gb of extra hard drive space.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
It can work - but doesn’t give enough wiggle room for me. I want at least 500gb of extra hard drive space.
To do what?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To do what?
I suppose the practice is a hold over from the days of spinning disks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Should be fine, I've got a 128gb SSD for my C drive, and I've got Studio One, Maschine, Komplete, Ozone, tons of Waves stuff, etc...

With disk drives it's recommended to leave them some breathing room (e.g. only use 50% of the space) but with SSD apparently it doesn't matter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Never assume that what you have is what you'll always have and nothing more. Your software will bloat over time, guaranteed.

I have a 1Tb OS. The reason? I install everything onto it (most software defaults to it anyway). All the VSTis, all the sample libaries, plugins, everything. It's my fastest drive (M1). Also it leaves out my other drive clean for projects and this way I avoid folder mess. I never look at OS drive so whatever folders the software creates it doesn't really affect anything (most usually go into Program Files but some create additional folders). It helps to keep system neat and organized.

Right now it's about 500Gb full and I don't even have much stuff there. I'm very happy I went for a 1Tb one even though it was kind of expensive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bought a late 2018 15" MBP, with a 512 GB internal drive in order to save some money. Stored all my sample libraries on an external drive. Trying my absolute best to keep the system as lean as possible, I used about 340 GB. Now, I did have a lot more installed than you listed there, but I would imagine it's pretty likely you'll get more software as you go, right?

256 is really pushing it, imo. 512 is doable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I am VERY glad I bought the latest Mac mini with 500 Gigs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
I bought a late 2018 15" MBP, with a 512 GB internal drive in order to save some money. Stored all my sample libraries on an external drive. Trying my absolute best to keep the system as lean as possible, I used about 340 GB. Now, I did have a lot more installed than you listed there, but I would imagine it's pretty likely you'll get more software as you go, right?

256 is really pushing it, imo. 512 is doable.
340gb seems a Lot (assuming it’s a music only machine) if you just have apps and effects/VSTs on it. I suspect you have inadvertently stored sound/sample libraries on it too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
340gb seems a Lot (assuming it’s a music only machine) if you just have apps and effects/VSTs on it. I suspect you have inadvertently stored sound/sample libraries on it too.
The only sample libraries I had on it were Logic's, which are about 20 GB if I remember correctly. You can offload them to an external drive.

I replaced that machine with my 16" MBP, with a clean install of all the same software; currently using 297 GB, 277 GB without Logic's library. This is with minimal normal data, like media and documents. The vast majority is music production related.

Just saying, with a lot of software, 256 is really gonna cut it close.
Old 4 weeks ago
afa
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
Should be fine, I've got a 128gb SSD for my C drive, and I've got Studio One, Maschine, Komplete, Ozone, tons of Waves stuff, etc...

With disk drives it's recommended to leave them some breathing room (e.g. only use 50% of the space) but with SSD apparently it doesn't matter.
Actually, you want some breathing room on SSDs as well.
https://pureinfotech.com/why-solid-s...ce-slows-down/
Old 4 weeks ago
afa
Gear Maniac

Quote:
External drives are not as fast. Ableton has a lot of downloadable packs included in suite (around 100GB I believe) and they keep adding and adding. Komplete Ultimate requires 490GB of disk space. Yes, you can offload some of it to an external drive but it is a pain in the rear. Especially with a laptop, there is value in being able to work without external drives connected all the time.

I would recommend a bare minimum of 512, and as much as you can (within reason).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Ableton
GarageBand
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate
MOTU Mach 5

It's enough only when you put NI K12 libraries and Live on external drive. It depends whether you install all NI libraries, you have regular Live or Suite etc.
I have 256 gb MBPro and I threw all libraries to SD nifty minidrive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
External drives are not as fast. Ableton has a lot of downloadable packs included in suite (around 100GB I believe) and they keep adding and adding. Komplete Ultimate requires 490GB of disk space. Yes, you can offload some of it to an external drive but it is a pain in the rear. Especially with a laptop, there is value in being able to work without external drives connected all the time.

I would recommend a bare minimum of 512, and as much as you can (within reason).
An external portable USB-C enclosure with a good old fashioned SSD drive at 550 mbps will be plenty fast to run pretty much any amount of samples streaming off it.

As for audio tracks playing back, they are the least of anyone’s problems..very low load/throughput on the external drive.
Old 4 weeks ago
mp3
Lives for gear

Ive got a 256gb drive in my 2015 MBP. It takes some management, like making symlinks to my external drive for hidden content folders (e.g. iPhone data backups and the like), redirecting downloads to the external, etc., and even with that I’m still up to like 140gb. I need to take a moment and go through it with one of those hard drive space analyzers to see what’s taking the space. Which, all of this is a PITA, but in my estimation the cost to upgrade the drive isn’t worth it. It is a Mac after all...

I think it’s really an issue of whether you are ok going through the hassle of managing drive space or would rather just spend the money on a larger drive (which is essentially just kicking that can down the road lol) to not have to worry about it. Thing is, you’re eventually going to have to deal with it anyway. So in my opinion it’s best to just start from day one with a solid strategy to manage space.
Old 4 weeks ago
afa
Gear Maniac

Quote:
An external portable USB-C enclosure with a good old fashioned SSD drive at 550 mbps will be plenty fast to run pretty much any amount of samples streaming off it.

As for audio tracks playing back, they are the least of anyone’s problems..very low load/throughput on the external drive.
External drive is sufficient, of course.
Internal is just a lot quicker (like an order of magnitude or more) so it helps a lot with project loading times, overall responsiveness, etc. Bigger drives are usually a bit faster, as well.
Playing back audio is mostly a non issue. Deciding which content goes on the external drive, and managing updates and all that is, in my experience, a bit of a hassle.

Your choice, of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I had a 250GB SSD as OS drive in my last Hackintosh build, alongside a 4TB 7200RPM spinning disk for user data. A lot of VSTs and some other programs insist on not working unless they're on the boot drive, so a lot of them end up installed there. When I built my current Hackintosh (very close to this build, with some additions and upgrades) I went with a 1TB M.2 NVME boot drive. The cost differential from the 500GB I was looking at was minor, considering amortization over teh 5+ years this one will likely last. Right now the OS drive is about 25% utilized. User drive is a 4TB 7200 RPM and it's also about 25% full.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I'm currently using an SSD using 208GB and have 255GB left.

Win 10 Pro. Multiple versions of Nuendo installed, a few plugins (not that many), no sample libraries or projects on the sys drive, Davinci Resolve is on it... not much really. Downloads default to the sys drive, but if I download media for work I choose a specific target folder on one of the other work drives.

So I'd probably agree that 256GB is technically fine a lot of the time but it really doesn't leave a lot of space for future use.

More importantly though: Do you really save enough money to justify not buying the larger model?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
External drive is sufficient, of course.
Internal is just a lot quicker (like an order of magnitude or more) so it helps a lot with project loading times, overall responsiveness, etc. Bigger drives are usually a bit faster, as well.
Playing back audio is mostly a non issue. Deciding which content goes on the external drive, and managing updates and all that is, in my experience, a bit of a hassle.

Your choice, of course.
This is true of basically any external drive on the market except the Samsung X5. That's what I've been using with my MacBook Pro. It's got an NVMe SSD inside and connects via TB3.

It actually reads faster than my MBP's internal drive, and writes about the same
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Cheap men pay twice. Scenario #1 : you buy a cheap drive for $50. In 6 months you realize it's no good enough and buy a proper 1tb one that lasts you a few years. On top of things you have to reinstall all the goddamn software (system and plugins) Total:$150, lots of time wasted, and one useless 256Gb drive that you have nothing to so because it's too small and you already have larger backup drives. Basically paying for something that will be used a tiny amount of time.

Scenario #2 : you buy 1tb drive for $100 that will last you a few years. Don't have to reinstall anything. Total: $100.

Pick what you think is the smart way to go.
Old 3 weeks ago
mp3
Lives for gear

^ Yeah but the math is a bit different if you have a Mac.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
OS X

Ableton
GarageBand
NI Komplete 12 Ultimate
MOTU Mach 5

that would be the bare minimum you would need
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a 250GB SSD OS drive and have multiple DAWs and all of my other software installed on it (Adobe, Office, video editing, tons of other stuff) and have plenty of breathing room. I keep all my libraries and my project files on another hard drive, then run a home-built NAS for back up. You should be fine with 256GB.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStudioToday View Post
I have a 250GB SSD OS drive and have multiple DAWs and all of my other software installed on it (Adobe, Office, video editing, tons of other stuff) and have plenty of breathing room. I keep all my libraries and my project files on another hard drive, then run a home-built NAS for back up. You should be fine with 256GB.
Is the other drive also SSD?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
Is the other drive also SSD?
No, 7200RPM spinning drive. Haven't had any latency issues yet. I eventually will move to all solid-state but it works fine for now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeStudioToday View Post
No, 7200RPM spinning drive. Haven't had any latency issues yet. I eventually will move to all solid-state but it works fine for now.
I went to all SSD. Had to take reduction in space, but in a year and a couple dozen projects I only used up 250Gb so far (out of 500Gb). I also bought an extra 1Tb SSD that sits completely empty, I didn't realize how little space actual music needs.

SSD loads projects infinitely faster than regular HDD. Also, working with large sample libraries, it takes a second to load, say, a 1Gb Omnisphere gluckenshpiel preset.

I do have a regular external HDD for backups. But for internal drives, no reason to have spinning drives anymore.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Just be careful if you're doing any live recording to an external drive. It's SO easy for them to get knocked and disconnected. For that reason I prefer to record to the internal drive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search