The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Still need wordclock??
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Still need wordclock??

Hello looking to replace my aging RME Haspi multiface card.
Looking at the MOTU 8A. It doesn't have word clock.
Most of my sounds are internal or from a slave computer linked with VSL ensemble.
I have a few analog devices But uses sparingly.
Do I need Word clock for them??

Thanks in advanced
Mike
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

wordclock is always required when sending digital information from one device to another.

one device is the master, and one device is the slave.

if your Motu can only be a wordclock master, then you would have to set your computer/Daw to be a word clock slave.

my system is configured this way, and i have motu hardware.

hope this helps. Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHarper View Post
Hello looking to replace my aging RME Haspi multiface card.
Looking at the MOTU 8A. It doesn't have word clock.
Most of my sounds are internal or from a slave computer linked with VSL ensemble.
I have a few analog devices But uses sparingly.
Do I need Word clock for them??

Thanks in advanced
Mike
Analog devices don't need wordclock.
Wordclock is required to synchronize digital devices so they all run at the same speed and their samples are not misaligned.

The 8A has ADAT which also can be used to clock to a digital device connected to that ADAT port. No need for wordlock then. Wordlock rather is needed when multiple devices need to be clocked. When only 2 devices are connected, ADAT, MADI, s/pdif or whatever connection they have works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
wordclock is always required when sending digital information from one device to another.
You mean clock, which is correct. Wordlock as a connection is not always necessary.

Quote:
if your Motu can only be a wordclock master, then you would have to set your computer/Daw to be a word clock slave.
I find this very confusing. If the MOTU is connected to the computer using USB or Thunderbolt, there is no master/slave situation as the MOTU is the only device. The computer is not a digital device in this way.
If you have a digital device attached to the MOTU, even then wordlock is not required as that digital connection can be used for clocking. If both devices have wordclock, it may be preferred as coaxial and optical connections can have different jitter behavior.
If you have multiple digital devices attached, then wordclock is probably the lifesaver.

How is your setup then?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
How is your setup then?
Adat BRC (big remote controler) wordclock master. 48k

BRC sends wordclock to 2 times Alesis HD24 hard disk recorder. (stand alone) via a BNC cable or the 9 pin adat comm cable

the HD24 units convert analog to digital, or digital to analog (depending if they are input or output devices) so 48 analog ins and 48 analog outs.

the HD24s are wordclock/sample rate slaves to the BRC. you can not set sample rate on the HD24s when the BRC is the master.

after the analog signal gets coverted to Digital via the A/D converter, the digital signal that leaves the HD24s travels through ADAT lightpipe connectors (48 In/48 Out) and travels to 2 Motu 2408s, which are the front end of the computers Digital i/o.

the Motu 2408s are also worclock slaves , receiving clock source via Adat lightpipe.

the Motu 2408s connect to the Mac via 2 times Firewire cables, into a Firewire Motu 424 PCIe card, and the PCIe card inputs the digital audio to the DAW (cubase in my case)

within cubase the wordclock source master is external/motu 2408/Adat lightpipe.

so the DAW and the mac are both slaves to external source master (the BRC actually)

this might seem complex, and in my previous answers to the OPs questions i was trying to keep things simple.

basically what i was trying to communicate to the OP, was that when 2 digital devices send or recieve information, one of them effectively must be the master, and the other one must be the slave. that way they synchronise the digital communication, and words dont get dropped. Jitter i think its called technically.

sorry about all the technical stuff.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Nice setup! It has been a long time since I touched a BRC...
What confused me is that you call the DAW/PC/MAC a slave. Technically they are not, the audio interface is the slave. The DAW itself has no clock, rather uses the audio interface driver to get the sample speed (= clock). The software does not care what device is master or slave.

In the case of OP, he has no master/slave/clock issue as he only has his MOTU interface as a digital device, so it just should use its internal clock as master and he is done.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Forgot to add: I do have an old Roland xv5080 with spdif out
(which is why I got a WC generator in the first place) when I do use it I let my RME audio card sync to that. But I don't use it much use it much. mostly software these days.
Weird to me they are making cards with digital I?O but no clock.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHarper View Post
Forgot to add: I do have an old Roland xv5080 with spdif out
(which is why I got a WC generator in the first place) when I do use it I let my RME audio card sync to that. But I don't use it much use it much. mostly software these days.
Weird to me they are making cards with digital I?O but no clock.
Digital I/O is both signal AND clock. So the slave has to be set to clock to that digital input.
Using lots of these devices all connected to a single digital device such as a console or converter may be problematic, especially as some only can be a master, if I recall correctly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search