The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 and Firewire Question
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Head

Windows 10 and Firewire Question

Hello,
I am building a new computer (PC) and plan on running Pro Tools 19.
My question is...does Windows 10 support FireWire when running on a newer Intel multi core processor? I plan on adding a USB 2 and 3 card and I also plan on adding a Thunderbolt card. Just wondering if I will be able to add a firewire card. Any help or explanations...I would greatly appreciate.
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Hi there!

I'm not running a newer generation processor, but I don't think it matters, as FW cards are more OS and driver specific.

I'm using the same firewire card I had since Windows 7 Pro on Windows 10 Pro without issues. It is a Siig Firewire 400 PCI-E card.

Hope this helps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

J_O_P_
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. Didn't realize that about it being more OS and driver related.
Still....before I march forward....
Maybe I can get a reply from someone with a new multi core setup......
Is there anyone out there who can confirm success with a Firewire card? 400 or 800 speed with a newer multi core processor such as an i7?
I'm not sure Pro Tools is supporting the i9.
Thanks Again
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

depends on device. I couldn't get some cards to work on win 10 and FW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Absolutely rock solid here - Windows 10 (creators edition) UA Apollo and Sonnet Allegro FireWire 800 PCI Express Card. I7 extreme edition and Asus X99 motherboard (last version) (Cubase user)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just built an i9 9900k gigabyte designare rig based around an RME Fireface 800 interface. Extremely rock solid and I’ve got a glyph FireWire backup drive connected.

Here is the card I used. I too was a bit worried but couldn’t have been easier to get up and running. Was thinking I’d need to roll back to a legacy driver but everything fired up right away.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-00BG-00...9SIA9HJAJH6789

Last edited by Glamrock80; 4 weeks ago at 10:00 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Scragend,
Thanks...that's great to know.

Glamrock 80....are you running Pro Tools? Did you go with the latest version (19)?

I would probably need one or two more inputs for my rig....I guess I would have to run two of those cards.
Thanks Again
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a new machine with Windows 10 pro. I added a FireWire pci card and it works fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial_it_in View Post
Scragend,
Thanks...that's great to know.

Glamrock 80....are you running Pro Tools? Did you go with the latest version (19)?

I would probably need one or two more inputs for my rig....I guess I would have to run two of those cards.
Thanks Again
I’m running the last version of Pro Tools 2018.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks for all the help on this. Seems like it's gonna work out great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search