The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sending Audio between daws with ucx
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sending Audio between daws with ucx

I have ucx and try to use abelton and pro tools at the same time.
Both of them are ucx in the settings.
Abelton sending audio from kontakt or swam trigger by guitar to pro tools for recording to audio tracks.
I tried using the loopback option and recorded it on pro tools but the loopback made it very messy with track on track.
Is there a better way to send audio from abelton to pro tools on windows

I ask for your help
Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Exactly, unless you need to input audio or MIDI from PT session to Ableton (so it will essentially act as synchronized audio source to PT session), then ReWire is IMO best choice for workflow.
If you want to do it via UCX and TotalMix, then loopback, you've mentioned is the only choice there.

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks.

I like the seprate strings of vg guitar idea and id like to use 7 midi tracks streaming audio to 7 pro tools tracks at the same time.
Do you know if Rewire is limited to only one stereo?

Does any pro tools come with the rewire
plugin?
I have pro tools hd and it's doesnt appear in it.. can you download it from some where?

In abelton do I need the same plugin for rewire because it doesnt appear also.

Thanks
Itay
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itayak View Post
Thanks.

I like the seprate strings of vg guitar idea and id like to use 7 midi tracks streaming audio to 7 pro tools tracks at the same time.
Do you know if Rewire is limited to only one stereo?

Does any pro tools come with the rewire
plugin?
I have pro tools hd and it's doesnt appear in it.. can you download it from some where?

In abelton do I need the same plugin for rewire because it doesnt appear also.

Thanks
Itay
Hi Itay,

it doesn't work like that with ReWire. There are no separate installers for ReWire plugins.

Each application, which supports so called device mode (eg. being used from main host DAW), will register itself in operating system. It's kinda similar to ASIO drivers.
Then if you run some other application, which supports ReWire host mode - like PT in your case, it will populate list of available ReWire devices.
In PT it will be then available under Instruments category, when you open dialog for adding plugin to an insert slot.

You can definitely transfer more than two channels of audio. ReWire protocol itself supports 64 channels.
In case of PT, you can simply copy the particular ReWire insert plugin several times in your session to different tracks to establish routing you would like.
So for example you have 6 mono tracks, where you have 6 instances of the plugin at first insert slots and each instance has selected different channel routed from Rewire device application.

If Ableton Live ReWire doesn't show in PT list, then most likely it's due to architecture mismatch. Like 32 bit Live and 64 bit PT or vice versa.. It's similar like with plugins, that has to match.
Also sometimes ReWire devices aren't correctly populated after its installation, so you have to close PT, go to directory (assuming Windows)
"%appdata%\Avid\Pro Tools" and delete file InstalledAAXPlugIns there.
This will ensure, that with next PT launch, the software will rescan all available plugins (including ReWire devices, filename is bit misleading).

But although it's great to have this PT and Live integration working IMO, there is unfortunately one bummer for what you asked for.

Ableton Live launched in ReWire device mode (which means started after you insert ReWire plugin to host DAW) is limited, so it doesn't load any external plugins and virtual instruments. So unfortunatelly no Kontakt or what you wanted.
It's pure limitation of Live, other ReWire devices (say Reaper or some other DAW) doesn't have such limitation.

So it's probably back to original approach with TotalMix loopback, if you really need to host those instruments in Live. On the other hand, if you won't use ADAT at your interface, you can create for example 8 loopback channels and save that to some TotalMix snapshot for easy recall.
Prepare some template project in Live with appropriate routing.
Additionally you can also likely sync those DAWs together using some virtual MIDI driver.
And of course, if there's no other restriction, you can host those instruments directly in PT session or find another ReWire host instead of Live.

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you Michal

I think I'll try the loopback option with total mix after all.. I'll make a snapshot in totalmix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You're welcome.
Anyway just for my curiosity, why you don't use those VIs directly in Pro Tools? If you perform directly through that live, then any piping of audio between DAWs increase latency. Even loopback via Total Mix, because it's send back and forth to DSP via ASIO driver.
Or you're monitoring off the Ableton and recording to PT is kind of parallel feed just for recording?

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search