The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2013 Mac Pro - Still worth getting?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
2013 Mac Pro - Still worth getting?

My main Studio iMac is sadly starting to die(GPU problems) and I've been quoted €7-800 to get it fully working working again which I can't rationalize spending on a 7 year old machine. I've been coming through alternatives and I can get my hands on a NOS traschcan Mac Pro with 6 core 3.6 ghz SPU, 64Gb of RAM and a 2TB SSD for about €2k.

Anyhow, my question is, for those of you who have it? Is the trashcan Mac Pro worth getting at that price? And if so, how is the performance?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I would be interested in the same thing. It is an older machine, but completely silent and it should still be capable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i have a 12 core Mac Pro 3.33g/hz machine. (tower)

i added a 8 core UAD Pci/e card and to be honest it does everything i ask it to do.

Good work horse
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The TOTL 2010/2012/ Mac Pros can be almost as fast as a 2013 Mac Pros and can be had for cheap but they are now vintage and not supported by Apple if you want that for software updates in the future. There will be security updates for Mojave into 2021. It can also be hacked to run Catalina. The 2013 Mac Pro six-core is definitely showing it’s age but will probably be supported by Apple For some time as it was just recently discontinued.

Buying the six-core Mac Pro with the idea of eventually upgrading the CPU with an inexpensive compatible 10 or 12 core sever CPU pull would be a good value.

The 2018 Mac Mini is a more modern computer with the new ports and pretty decent speed and will be supported by Apple longer than the older tech 2013 Mac Pro. It’s not a Mac Pro but you have been using an iMac.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I’m tossing up between a $1300 3.5 six core trashcan plus $500 4K screen VS $3000 2019 iMac 3.7 i5 six core

I don’t care about the $$$ difference - What to do???
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
The TOTL 2010/2012/ Mac Pros can be almost as fast as a 2013 Mac Pros and can be had for cheap but they are now vintage and not supported by Apple if you want that for software updates in the future. There will be security updates for Mojave into 2021. It can also be hacked to run Catalina. The 2013 Mac Pro six-core is definitely showing it’s age but will probably be supported by Apple For some time as it was just recently discontinued.

Buying the six-core Mac Pro with the idea of eventually upgrading the CPU with an inexpensive compatible 10 or 12 core sever CPU pull would be a good value.

The 2018 Mac Mini is a more modern computer with the new ports and pretty decent speed and will be supported by Apple longer than the older tech 2013 Mac Pro. It’s not a Mac Pro but you have been using an iMac.
A Mac Mini is also on the table but the T2 chip issues have me leery of pulling the trigger on them. This is why I'm considering 2013 Mac Pro.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the price is probably fair for a NOS, but these machines are extremely reliable. Personally if in the market for a 2013 Mac Pro I would go for a used 12 Core, you get a lot for your money - as you can see here

It looks like it is pick up only, but I have seen 12 Cores go for around that price from long term sellers who will ship.

What are your needs from a new machine? Did you ever find your older machine lacked power?

As for alternatives, no question in terms of bang for buck though, Hackintosh is the way to go. I just built a system around the 9900ks processor (which is like a 9900k on steroids) for less than £2k with a bunch of internal SSD & NVMe drives. There are also alternatives for buying pre-built in Europe.

Last edited by Chevron; 3 weeks ago at 05:04 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post

What are your needs from a new machine? Did you ever find your older machine lacked power?

As for alternatives, no question in terms of bang for buck though, Hackintosh is the way to go. I just built a system around the 9900ks processor (which is like a 9900k on steroids, but binned and with better cooling) for less than £2k with a bunch of internal SSD & NVMe drives. There are also alternatives for buying pre-built in Europe.
This would be a straight out music making machine, I tend to use a fair amount of external hardware in addition to plugins so the more power the better.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I think the price is probably fair for a NOS, but these machines are extremely reliable. Personally if in the market for a 2013 Mac Pro I would go for a used 12 Core, you get a lot for your money - as you can see here

There are also alternatives for buying pre-built in Europe.
Where can I get these pre-built hackintoshes? Can you suggest some companies in europe that build these machines? Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKorcek View Post
Where can I get these pre-built hackintoshes? Can you suggest some companies in europe that build these machines? Thank you
Sure thing will PM you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Sure thing will PM you.
Post them here as well? I'd be interested to see what thy have as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.anti.matter View Post
Post them here as well? I'd be interested to see what thy have as well.
Sure, here you go here
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey all!

I would really appreciate if anyone would chime in. So far my old MacPro 3,1 (dual 2.8 upped to dual 3.2 what is max. that machine takes) with a lot of RAM and SSDs was serving me fantastic. I am not huge nor pro guy who runs huge sessions with multitude of plugs. Ableton as prime DAW but also PT. Ableton Live 9.7.x more to be quite honest. Some outboard **** but mostly ITB.

I am looking to buy one used/refurbed Mac Pro 5,1 (2012, the last and strongest dual cheese-grater model) and I am trying to find out how are your experiences with buying such machines. If anyone here has or had such experiences.

In my opinion, 5,1 dual machine will serve me just right.

How are your thoughts and I would highly appreciate insights or recommendations, especially for purchasing it in Europe as it is easier for me inside EU due to import costs and stuff. But, ordering from US also is in game for me. I looked on a few places but there I can't get nahds-on experience about machine state and all.

Thanks a lot guys!

Best,

Krešo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Hey all!

I would really appreciate if anyone would chime in. So far my old MacPro 3,1 (dual 2.8 upped to dual 3.2 what is max. that machine takes) with a lot of RAM and SSDs was serving me fantastic. I am not huge nor pro guy who runs huge sessions with multitude of plugs. Ableton as prime DAW but also PT. Ableton Live 9.7.x more to be quite honest. Some outboard **** but mostly ITB.

I am looking to buy one used/refurbed Mac Pro 5,1 (2012, the last and strongest dual cheese-grater model) and I am trying to find out how are your experiences with buying such machines. If anyone here has or had such experiences.

How are your thoughts and I would highly appreciate insights or recommendations, especially for purchasing it in Europe as it is easier for me inside EU due to import costs and stuff. But, ordering from US also is in game for me. I looked on a few places but there I can't get nahds-on experience about machine state and all.

Thanks a lot guys!

Best,

Krešo
I have a 5.1 2010 with a 6 core 5690 xeon. The 144.0.0.0.0 firmware has rejuvenated this platform a lot. NVME boot support is probably the highlight. With the right PCIe adapter card the throughput can be akin to something you would find on current generation platforms. No small feat for a computer that's pushing eleven years.

I have a Radeon RX580 as well which is a very decent modern card but pretty much every modern day Radeon card is supported officially.

It's a pretty flexible platform and you have some options (especially if you go down the PCIe cards route).

That said the CPU is starting to show it's age a little bit. No AVX instruction set support will preclude you from running certain VSTs (Massive X for example). It's still a bit of a beast of a CPU. I have Acustica Audio Taupe and it runs multiple instances on 128 samples buffer setting. I don't know exactly how many but putting Kontakt drums through it usually sits at around 30% utilization. Putting something like Diva through it at 128 samples buffer settings does choke a bit. But look you would never run an intense plugin like Taupe on 128 samples. That's just too CPU intensive. It's a mixing plugin anyway so 1024 or 2048 samples should be the only buffer setting you use something like this on.

Diva patches without multicore enabled run on Divine. 8 voices around 60% (depends on the patch though some are more intense than others). Enabling multi-core support in Diva drops the CPU utilization to 23% to 30 (again depending on the patch).

It's a very capable machine still. It's super stable. Never crashes really.

But look it's not without it's downsides clearly. Some of the current day CPUs are orders of magnitude more powerful (something like a Ryzen 3800x and i9 9900k are absolute beasts in comparison and would run circles round my Xeon 5690). And they bring AVX to the table which does help to a degree.

The fact that it can process something like Taupe at 128 samples buffer is impressive and I think makes a strong case for the platform even today. That plugin is intense. But modern day CPUs and platforms are obviously in another league altogether. If I was buying now I might be tempted to go modern. Something like an i9 9900k or Ryzen.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks a lot guys!

Best,

Krešo
For refurbished 5,1 Mac Pros in Europe, Create Pro in the UK are awesome, and I imagine unbeatable in terms of knowledge and support. They give you a 3 year warranty and are extremely knowledgeable, helpful and also deliver to Europe.

I bought my 12 Core 5,1 Mac Pro from them in 2014, and I was still offered excellent tech support last year when my 5,1 Mac Pro wouldn't see the Wifi card after I upgraded to High Sierra.

There are not many companies I would highly recommend, but these guys I absolutely would.

https://create.pro/
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey ASDF,

thanks for all your insights and every single piece of info. I really appreciate it! Thanks!!!

I see you have mentioned a lot CPU hog stuff such as Acustica Audio ****. I don't use those because they are - hogs! ;-) And I have great tools, a few selected ones ITB as well as few OTB pieces of gear. Anf on top of that all I don't work with sessions huge in track/channel numbers and huge number of plugins on them. So, in case of Acustia stuff allshould br aware those are made for i7 and greater architecture for optimal performance.

Hopefully I'll get an upgrade. Not that my current machine is no good. In any way looking at it. Great machines those Mac Pro series (cheese-graters)! Kudos to Apple for making those!!!

Anyway, great reply and thanks again!

Krešo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Chevron,

I just got off e-mail with Charles from UK and company you're suggesting!

He is such a great guy. Never met him but after first mail I figured out he's a nice guy. And yes, if I opt for them I was also looking to take 3 years Warranty added to regular option. I am trying to squeeze 1,5 k in one piece.

I will see in next couple of weeks my financial side.

Thanks again for all your info and recommendation!

Best,

Krešo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Chevron,

I just got off e-mail with Charles from UK and company you're suggesting!

He is such a great guy. Never met him but after first mail I figured out he's a nice guy. And yes, if I opt for them I was also looking to take 3 years Warranty added to regular option. I am trying to squeeze 1,5 k in one piece.

I will see in next couple of weeks my financial side.

Thanks again for all your info and recommendation!

Best,

Krešo
Great, Charles is very cool to deal with. You’re in good hands.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great, Charles is very cool to deal with. You’re in good hands.
Hehehe, I got that! I got this vibe immediately man! Right from the start.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search