The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper
Old 4 weeks ago
  #61
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
The answer is no.

Saying Reaper is great because you can basically program/script it to do anything is hilarious..

You can also just code a new DAW from scratch then it can do anything you want too.

Too bad no one said that. You're creating a straw man. It was just an added capability over PT. There, unlike yourself, are people that could benefit from this scripting too. I won't go into the details because it's quite clear that this is out of your league. No worries.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #62
Lives for gear
 
basehead617's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Too bad no one said that. You're creating a straw man. It was just an added capability over PT. There, unlike yourself, are people that could benefit from this scripting too. I won't go into the details because it's quite clear that this is out of your league. No worries.
Yes - as a software engineer, I surely couldn’t manage it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #63
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Yes - as a software engineer, I surely couldn’t manage it.
If you are a SE then that post was not very flattering to yourself - scripting and automated program manipulation is very powerful as you SHOULD know.


Old 4 weeks ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 
basehead617's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
If you are a SE then that post was not very flattering to yourself - scripting and automated program manipulation is very powerful as you SHOULD know.


Sure but personally that’s not how I want to use a DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
The answer is no.

Saying Reaper is great because you can basically program/script it to do anything is hilarious..

You can also just code a new DAW from scratch then it can do anything you want too.
You're missing the point. Reaper has all the features. No-one has to code anything from scratch. The customization gives you the freedom to launch any feature you want with any shortcut key or MIDI CC or note you wish. In short, you can work the way you want.

For example, consider some default key commands in Reaper:
Zoom to Selection: Ctrl + Page Up
Zoom out Project: Ctrl + Page Down
Zoom In Vertically: Ctrl + Shift + Up Arrow
Zoom Out Vertically: Ctrl + Shift + Down Arrow

These are perfectly sensible and everyone can use them.

However, my keyboard requires the press of a FN (function key) and the arrow keys for Page Up Down. This makes Zoom to Selection require holding Fn, Ctrl, and Up Arrow. Too much for something I do all the time.

To make life easy, with Reaper I can do this:
Zoom to Selection: Z
Zoom out Project: Shift + Z
Zoom In Vertically: Shift + Up Arrow
Zoom Out Vertically: Shift + Down Arrow
Old 4 weeks ago
  #66
Gear Head
 

Few days trying Reaper out.

Really excellent in so many ways. Tons of support and guidance out there too.

It gets straight down to business without all the ott graphics and billions of extras you never need.

Ten out of ten.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #67
Gear Head
 
Mind Riot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzero View Post
That "Reaper vs Pro Tools" article also mentions VST support. Pro Tools has no VST support?!! That is extremely disappointing. Come'on guys! Steinberg invented the format back in 1996. I think 24 years is a mature standard, Perhaps Avid should support it?!
That's right, there is a whole world of wonderful VSTs out there that PT users can't access, and that's a shame. From brilliant small developers making amazing stuff to incredibly useful little niche freeware. Some of my favorite and most useful plugs are freeware or shareware.

Wow, that really makes me feel sorry for PT users.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Many guys said Reaper being fully customizable is not easy to learn... well, for me it was much easier to learn to work in Reaper than PT, just because of more logically organized workflow and one great feature: actions search field. I just type there whatever thing i want to do and then click on the needed command/operation that was the result of search there.

The only thing i miss in Reaper is multiple mixers (like in Cubase/Nuendo), but i can show/hide any tracks i need and save the state of a mixer for recall it when needed.
I don’t use any scripts when working in it, but being able to make custom action sets is a great thing, and it is very easy.
This demonstrates something I wanted to say: just because Reaper is fully customizable doesn't mean that it's difficult to use in its default state. Some people find it difficult, but a lot of people find it very logical and intuitive from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Fortunately the code eventually got updated and the multi-core usage in Cakewalk became quite good.
Good on them for taking care of business. It's too bad Sonar went under, but it's cool you can still get it as freeware now, last I heard.


Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Perhaps you failed to notice the OP is a yes or no question
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Sure but personally that’s not how I want to use a DAW.
Perhaps you failed to notice the OP is not about how any one person wants to use a DAW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jzero View Post
You're missing the point. Reaper has all the features. No-one has to code anything from scratch. The customization gives you the freedom to launch any feature you want with any shortcut key or MIDI CC or note you wish. In short, you can work the way you want.

For example, consider some default key commands in Reaper:
Zoom to Selection: Ctrl + Page Up
Zoom out Project: Ctrl + Page Down
Zoom In Vertically: Ctrl + Shift + Up Arrow
Zoom Out Vertically: Ctrl + Shift + Down Arrow

These are perfectly sensible and everyone can use them.

However, my keyboard requires the press of a FN (function key) and the arrow keys for Page Up Down. This makes Zoom to Selection require holding Fn, Ctrl, and Up Arrow. Too much for something I do all the time.

To make life easy, with Reaper I can do this:
Zoom to Selection: Z
Zoom out Project: Shift + Z
Zoom In Vertically: Shift + Up Arrow
Zoom Out Vertically: Shift + Down Arrow

Bingo. You can do scripts and macros and extensions and get as deep and complex as you want, but doing simple things like just reassigning basic actions to key commands you're used to is so simple anyone can do it. But if you don't want to do even that, Reaper is perfectly usable in its default state.

And people don't just customize for themselves. A discussion on the Reaper forums about people who are beginners to computer based recording and DAWs led to the creation of a custom theme with some of the more advanced features in the UI removed to make things simpler, and modified menus which also featured only the more basic functions. The theme could be easily switched back and forth with the stock set up when users felt they were ready to start learning more complex functions. Sort of a DAW with training wheels. It was an incredibly generous thing to do; I can't even imagine the hours it must have taken along with the depth of understanding of Reaper, and it worked out pretty well if my memory serves.

I don't understand the mentality of people who think customization is a bad thing. No one is going to force you to customize something, so why would you care if other people have the option? You would think everyone would like having more control. If you don't, then just let your version of your DAW stay bog standard and learn it that way.

I mean, you run into something in PT (or other DAWs) that you think is clunky and unintuitive, the answer is "Get used to it, it's been like that for twenty years and it's not changing."

Run into something you think is clunky and unintuitive in Reaper and the answer is "Well, you can assign the action to another key command, or make a macro that will trigger the action to happen in a series of other actions, or write a script..."

It's so much better than sitting there using your other DAW's stupid stock key command that is so awkward and makes no sense, you can't imagine why anyone would design it that way, and every time you have to do it you hate it even more, but you have to, day after day after day, until you can feel it gnawing at the edges of your mind, slowly driving you mad, just a little more with each time, pushing you closer and closer to the edge, until finally you stand up and start screaming incoherently and ripping your clothes off, and you run out the door and down the street in your underwear, laughing maniacally as you disappear into the night, never to be seen again.

See, this sort of thing just doesn't happen with Reaper.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 

imo if you're doing mixing only, Reaper is godly solid. for pure audio mixing it's phenomenal, of everything I've tried it's the best. what the **** more could you ask for? totally hardcore if you learn it and customizable, totally strong. I haven't used Protools to be clear, but I'd be ****ing hard pressed to believe it's better than Reaper. Hard pressed.

For MIDI sequencing and creative production, count me out on Reaper. I've made cool stuff with it, duh. It's not HORRIBLE. But the fact is that right now other DAWs are preferable for composing and producing new tracks, for me. You can make stuff in Reaper but the tools just aren't deep enough, or inspiring to work with, when it comes to MIDI. Switching over to other DAWs is feeling really good for me right now as an ARTIST.

If I was solely a mix engineer Reaper all the way. If I want to do a full blown pop track with 100s of tracks and effects, Reaper. If I want to do a creative electronic or dance track production from scratch, I'll be using Ableton and other options.

So I do think it's a bit genre dependent.

If I'm doing my ornate, large scale hardcore major work, I'm going to keep using Reaper. There are a plethora of tools that make it objectively superior to Ableton and Logic for this, for me. Instant "render item to audio?" God tier. Reaper really has its full potential once you set up a proper mixing environment with a series of busses rather than using the "folders." If you set up busses instead of just sending to folders, you are using Reaper at its full potential. If you can be arsed to learn the shortcuts and make your own, you're pushing it to the 90% level. If you somehow find a way to use Reaper effectively to compose with MIDI and actually produce stuff, well... not going to happen in my personal view. It just isn't *fun* and that matters for me. I tried and I think there are limitations on what you can modify, and can I really be arsed to deep dive on that level? I can boot up Logic for MIDI composition and its instantly fine. I think Reaper themselves need to rethink the piano roll. It's just not good. But then again I don't think their target market is producers.

If I'm doing more abstract creative artistic work, I'm going to use other DAWs.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #69
Gear Head
 
Mind Riot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
imo if you're doing mixing only, Reaper is godly solid. for pure audio mixing it's phenomenal, of everything I've tried it's the best. what the **** more could you ask for? totally hardcore if you learn it and customizable, totally strong. I haven't used Protools to be clear, but I'd be ****ing hard pressed to believe it's better than Reaper. Hard pressed.

For MIDI sequencing and creative production, count me out on Reaper. I've made cool stuff with it, duh. It's not HORRIBLE. But the fact is that right now other DAWs are preferable for composing and producing new tracks, for me. You can make stuff in Reaper but the tools just aren't deep enough, or inspiring to work with, when it comes to MIDI. Switching over to other DAWs is feeling really good for me right now as an ARTIST.

If I was solely a mix engineer Reaper all the way. If I want to do a full blown pop track with 100s of tracks and effects, Reaper. If I want to do a creative electronic or dance track production from scratch, I'll be using Ableton and other options.

So I do think it's a bit genre dependent.

If I'm doing my ornate, large scale hardcore major work, I'm going to keep using Reaper. There are a plethora of tools that make it objectively superior to Ableton and Logic for this, for me. Instant "render item to audio?" God tier. Reaper really has its full potential once you set up a proper mixing environment with a series of busses rather than using the "folders." If you set up busses instead of just sending to folders, you are using Reaper at its full potential. If you can be arsed to learn the shortcuts and make your own, you're pushing it to the 90% level. If you somehow find a way to use Reaper effectively to compose with MIDI and actually produce stuff, well... not going to happen in my personal view. It just isn't *fun* and that matters for me. I tried and I think there are limitations on what you can modify, and can I really be arsed to deep dive on that level? I can boot up Logic for MIDI composition and its instantly fine. I think Reaper themselves need to rethink the piano roll. It's just not good. But then again I don't think their target market is producers.

If I'm doing more abstract creative artistic work, I'm going to use other DAWs.
Reaper's always been more audio focused than MIDI, consequently the MIDI features have been less comprehensive and developed.

My MIDI needs are modest; recording and editing drum tracks is typically all I need (but I have done an orchestral soundtrack for a short film entirely in Reaper before).

I'm a multi-instrumentalist doing my one man band thing all by myself, so everything is played for real and I use Reaper for recording, editing, mixing, and pseudo mastering (whatever you call it when you have to do it yourself). These are all areas where it excels.

But there are other DAWs specifically made with the focus on composition and if I made different kinds of music or had a different writing process I probably would have picked one of them up myself by now.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
I'm a creative/visual type and come from Live/Bitwig and have no issues making electronic music in Reaper.

Each to their own though, will have our own ways of creating. I do miss the session view but can live without it by using regions and SWS region playlists for testing arrangements.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #71
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I'm a creative/visual type and come from Live/Bitwig and have no issues making electronic music in Reaper.

Each to their own though, will have our own ways of creating. I do miss the session view but can live without it by using regions and SWS region playlists for testing arrangements.
question:

you know how you can extend a midi clip in arrange view by dragging from the right side ... can you do that in reaper? I've tried but haven't figured it out. . . . i wish it was more like in logic where it's not something you spend energy and time having to look up and can just do

listening
Old 3 weeks ago
  #72
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
question:

you know how you can extend a midi clip in arrange view by dragging from the right side ... can you do that in reaper? I've tried but haven't figured it out. . . . i wish it was more like in logic where it's not something you spend energy and time having to look up and can just do

listening
Of course, you just click+drag the right side of it. If it's set to loop, you'll loop, if not it'll extend the current block for further arrangement.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #73
Lives for gear
 

ah. i didn't realize I had to dive into a menu to find the item settings and change loop property.

good to know, but I still think that's sub optimal. still very good to finally answer that stupid question i had
Old 3 weeks ago
  #74
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
ah. i didn't realize I had to dive into a menu to find the item settings and change loop property.

good to know, but I still think that's sub optimal. still very good to finally answer that stupid question i had
You can assign a toolbar button for item loop, or create a keyboard shortcut (I've done the latter).

Anything you can do in Reaper you can set shortcuts or scripts for. There is a little learning curve but once you've done a few basic things you can have Reaper be the most intuitive DAW out there (as it's you who set it up).

2c YMMV etc blah
Old 3 weeks ago
  #75
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

I have to admit that I pretty much know next to nothing about what might make a DAW good for MIDI/VSTi, etc...

I got dragged (kicking and screaming) into all this computer stuff:
(I'm an "old fart" and had always mixed using analog hardware.)
The folks who did the MIDI stuff on most of my projects always had their own damn gear, and I seldom interfered with what I considered to be their own personal instrument/domain.

...Therefore, I'm pretty damn ignorant of any shortcomings that Reaper may have for MIDI. (Hell, I've never even tried to use any of those functions.)

All I know is that Reaper was the first DAW I ever met that made sense to me "straight outta the box".

With a few tweeks, I was fairly happy with most workflow issues (considering).

...But the REALLY cool thing about Reaper is that I can carry a thumb drive around, stick it in just about any computer, and do a little work.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #76
Gear Head
 
IGotWorms's Avatar
 

Reaper sounded bad for me… . Don't know if it was a driver issue or what but there was a lot of crunchy static noise at -60db that would disappear whenever I talked into the mic, it sounded like a semi-gated mess down low. I don't know if it was driver compatibility issues or what but ableton is dead silent. Also, reaper couldn't handle the hq settings that ableton can.

Last edited by IGotWorms; 3 weeks ago at 06:49 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #77
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post

...But the REALLY cool thing about Reaper is that I can carry a thumb drive around, stick it in just about any computer, and do a little work.
That's awesome!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #78
Gear Guru
 
Muser's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
The answer is no.

Saying Reaper is great because you can basically program/script it to do anything is hilarious..

You can also just code a new DAW from scratch then it can do anything you want too.
that's not really the reason from user perspective. it's more that many people who could have a shot at programming their own DAW, tend to find that with Reaper they don't have to bother. instead they script a host of solutions and make them available to any user as a set of ready made options. it creates a set of developers who can be quick to respond to any problems or new ideas. in many cases you don't need to rely on third party solutions because someone will either script one, or has done already. from audio alignment tools to compressors and de-essers which can also write their response directly as automation data. there's loads of them and they will probably keep working into the future and not depend on the success or failure of a plugin dev to remain in business.

the upshot is, it tends to be able to compete with many different DAW's in many different ways. but if a specific DAW ticks the right boxes for a user, that's probably an easier path to take, because that given DAW is already going to be configured for your use cases. so then you're probably going get a better experience in those cases, and with less initial efforts needed to mold something into your required ways of working.

Last edited by Muser; 3 weeks ago at 02:06 PM..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump