The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apollo x8p: Extremely disappointed about the sound
Old 29th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaustew ➡️
The BLA mod; Looking at the XB clock mod for 500.00 for Apollo X8P and X16.

If you're going to do the BLA mod, do it to both units at the same time and then you are guaranteed to be at .6 pico seconds of jitter 100% in sync, key words, in sync.

If you try to control a 10 pico second clock with a .6 pico second clock, when the 10 pico second clock is already operating as accurately as it can, it is going to shift the jitter in unpredictable ways which will most likely sound worse.

I would like to do the whole mod (decouple etc.) a little pricey, but for $500 per unit, the XB mod makes more sense than getting a stand alone master clock, after the warranty on the Apollo's expire...which is the one draw back...it voids the warranty...
I assume that you have done the mod? If yes how would you describe the difference? I'm just curious, but also wish there were options in the UK for this. I currently use a Grimm as an external clock, and there is a definite improvement. Also to me the x's sound better as you go up the sample rate. I find 48khz sounds better than 44khz for example.
Old 23rd January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personal opinions tend to be biased beyond usefulness and, even if the bias is somehow balanced or tempered, subjective opinions are far from technically accurate. If you are in the market for an interface, best to disregard threads like this. They will not help the decision process unless your goal is to be popular on GS.
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz ➡️
subjective opinions are far from technically accurate. If you are in the market for an interface, best to disregard threads like this. They will not help the decision process unless your goal is to be popular on GS.
True, especially when they hype a product.
(I bought a new Apollo Solo and connected my HD820 headphones.
They never sounded so bad...
Returned it right away...)
Old 26th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
I assume that you have done the mod? If yes how would you describe the difference? I'm just curious, but also wish there were options in the UK for this. I currently use a Grimm as an external clock, and there is a definite improvement. Also to me the x's sound better as you go up the sample rate. I find 48khz sounds better than 44khz for example.
I’m curious if it made a difference
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
RME...

Well, I really think at this level of conversion, it is a question of taste.
I've always found RME converters to sound "Plasticky"... (can't remember of any other suitable word).
I agree that the UAD conversion can sound kind of muddy (own an Apollo Twin Quad), but I think that's the analogue warmth it tries to reproduce. I could live better with that, than with the RME "Clarity" that sounds like Plastic to me. Although I haven't heard the more recent high end converters from RME. Some friends swear by them...

Always felt attracted to Apogee, and love their sound since the AD8000. I found clarity and punch in them. And the Softclipping on their DA16x sounded amazing!

Still, after reading some reviews and weighting my wallet, a few years ago I opted for an SSL Alpha-link Madi AX and recorded and mixed a lot of great sounding records with it. Very flexible and still using it.

Just my 2cts.

In the end it's the music that always counts...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdown ➡️
I've always found RME converters to sound "Plasticky"... (can't remember of any other suitable word).
I agree that the UAD conversion can sound kind of muddy (own an Apollo Twin Quad), but I think that's the analogue warmth it tries to reproduce. I could live better with that, than with the RME "Clarity" that sounds like Plastic to me. Although I haven't heard the more recent high end converters from RME. Some friends swear by them...

Always felt attracted to Apogee, and love their sound since the AD8000. I found clarity and punch in them. And the Softclipping on their DA16x sounded amazing!

Still, after reading some reviews and weighting my wallet, a few years ago I opted for an SSL Alpha-link Madi AX and recorded and mixed a lot of great sounding records with it. Very flexible and still using it.

Just my 2cts.

I demo'ed an Apollo a couple of years ago and I loved what it offered and I wanted to like it but the sound IMO was very bad, I really tried to get it to sound clear and open but I couldn't so I disappointedly sent it back, the headphone outs sounded especially poor IMO, I next tried a Presonus Quantum and was very impressed with the sound, Maybe some people like that Apollo sound (I can't imagine how) but it really isn't as good as it should be.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
More and more I think gearslutz talking about converters has devolved to the level of hifi stereo people arguing about which $1,000 s/pdif cable sounds best, etc. In this day and age all mid to hi priced converters sound good and can get a professional result.

I’ve a/b the Apollo X6 against a Crane Song Solaris Quantum multiple times and they sound 99.9% identical on playback. Trust me, I wish the Solaris sounded way better to justify the $2,000 purchase I made, but they don’t sound different at all - certainly not night and day. I can monitor fine off either and switch back and forth sometimes depending on if I want to use the Solaris as a hardware send.

Just get the interface that has the workflow you like and you will be fine. For me that’s UAD, but your workflow may be different.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdown ➡️

Just my 2cts.

Horses for courses. I A/B tested a bunch of high end stuff (Antelope, Prizm, Apogee, Lynx) and have used Avid, Burl and UAD extensively. RME is still my #1 choice both for sound and drivers. UAD has been my last choice for driver performance.

Perhaps the source material was what sounded like "plastic"
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST ➡️
Horses for courses. I A/B tested a bunch of high end stuff (Antelope, Prizm, Apogee, Lynx) and have used Avid, Burl and UAD extensively. RME is still my #1 choice both for sound and drivers. UAD has been my last choice for driver performance.

Perhaps the source material was what sounded like "plastic"
UAD has been rock solid for me on Mac. Much more so than the apogee or focusrite I had in the past. I haven’t tried UAD on windows though, and understand that that may be a different story depending on thunderbolt card etc. I don’t doubt that RME is rock solid too though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon ➡️
I demo'ed an Apollo a couple of years ago and I loved what it offered and I wanted to like it but the sound IMO was very bad, I really tried to get it to sound clear and open but I couldn't so I disappointedly sent it back, the headphone outs sounded especially poor IMO, I next tried a Presonus Quantum and was very impressed with the sound, Maybe some people like that Apollo sound (I can't imagine how) but it really isn't as good as it should be.
No it didn't. Nothing sounds "very bad" today. The difference between converters these days is vastly smaller than say brands - or even batches - of tape in the past. We are talking miniscule differences that no-one in the real world actually cares about. You may convince yourself that converter A is great and B is crap – this is self-validating navel-gazing – nothing sounds “bad” today. You may prefer A over B – but real people won’t notice or care.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend ➡️
No it didn't. Nothing sounds "very bad" today. The difference between converters these days is vastly smaller than say brands - or even batches - of tape in the past. We are talking miniscule differences that no-one in the real world actually cares about. You may convince yourself that converter A is great and B is crap – this is self-validating navel-gazing – nothing sounds “bad” today. You may prefer A over B – but real people won’t notice or care.
Ok there is no need for this attitude, there is enough nastiness going on in the world without adding more, I said IMO the headphone outs are very bad and I stand by that, Ok I realise some people may not feel the same but to me for a unit of this price they are very bad, the AD I didn't find very bad, just not that great and I don't like the preamps, the DA I found pretty disappointing but I guess to call it very bad may be a little to strong, I really did want to love it and I had the money in my hand but I could not live with it, as for whether "real people would notice or care" well that is irrelevant to me, what matters to me is if I can notice and care and I did and do, is that ok with you? or do you wish to attack me a little more for just relaying my personal experience.

I do know that you can make good recordings on a Apollo but for me they are not what I consider high-end just middle quality, So if the statement Very bad upsets you for the sake of peace I will reword it to, I really didn't like it at all and I was surprised how much I didn't like it, Peace.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon ➡️
Ok I said IMO the headphone outs are very bad and I stand by that, .
Fwiw, when in comes to converters, the differences are so incredibly small its reduclous to call any bad. That includes headphone outs.

Now, if you participated in a recorded blind test administered by non- biased testers, and you chose the "bad" on quality phones every time, then super kudos to your golden ears! You get all my respect.

Most users i read here don't do that with converters. Even famous names proclaiming lovely descriptions of differences...and then differentiating between "better" and somehow "a different color" usually make me laugh...especially if they were given a discount for the converter.

Its up to each user to decide what works best. And converters is something I'll always decide for myself...reviews to me... are mostly worthless.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud ➡️
Fwiw, when in comes to converters, the differences are so incredibly small its reduclous to call any bad. That includes headphone outs.

Now, if you participated in a recorded blind test administered by non- biased testers, and you chose the "bad" on quality phones every time, then super kudos to your golden ears! You get all my respect.

Most users i read here don't do that with converters. Even famous names proclaiming lovely descriptions of differences...and then differentiating between "better" and somehow "a different color" usually make me laugh...especially if they were given a discount for the converter.

Its up to each user to decide what works best. And converters is something I'll always decide for myself...reviews to me... are mostly worthless.
Well I tried it on vocals and acoustic guitars with different mic's and I didn't like it at all, I'm not writing a review just recounting my experience with the unit in a forum post about how someone was also very disappointed with the sound so I'm clearly not alone in this opinion, also I personally don't think the differences between different units are always "incredibly small" my experience tells me a different story, anyway it was an honest opinion on what I heard, maybe it was a bad unit who know's, but does it really matter?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have an Apollo plus a Rupert Neve headphone amp.
I have A/B'ed the Apollo with the dedicated amp and could barely hear the difference.
I agree, very little studio gear is 'bad' in 2021. Just not to some people's taste, which is fine.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Finally someone who isn't deaf!
Anyway, after returning the Apollo Solo I managed to get in my hands a Motu M4.
Is way better sounding lol.
And even though so far is the one I have liked the most, I am still not even 90% satisfied (at least I can hear to music regularly now).
My next plan is to get a dedicated DAC like a Bifrost 2 (Schiit) along a Digiface (RME) and a Focusrite Pre 8.
If after getting the Bifrost 2 first, things improve big time (DA wise), then probably I will have finally reached a very good place in life... lol...
We'll see.

Fcuk audioscience review.
Superbestaudiofriends is where it's at (no bull****ting around).
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Let them be mate...
And as I read you before, the other people doesn't really matter, just your experience through it all when creating/mixing/recording/etc.

I wish myself I was 100% happy with any interface in the market... have gone through a dozen of interfaces (including the overhyped Babyface Pro FS)...

Right now sporting an M1 Macbook Air and a Motu M4.
Not too shabby!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Maybe you can still use your RME interface and converters and one Satellite to run the UAD plugins you like (?)
📝 Reply