The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces All-New LUNA Recording System
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsWilsonian View Post
Similar to the email I got from PA before they went subscription lol. I'm more hopeful this time around.
Hahah if UAD goes subscription based on all their plugs ????
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

I'm thinking a DAW and controller.

They're said "Tune in to see Universal Audio’s groundbreaking new system, poised to change the music‑making universe."

So new apollos wouldn't be groundbreaking (when has a marketing department ever used hyperbole?).

I could see a good integrated DAW and controller like softube's being something UAD could do well.
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokerjoker4 View Post
Hahah if UAD goes subscription based on all their plugs ????
and there's only like 10 we don't own and we can't sell our current ones?

nah.. i don't think so.

The reason i first said synth cause they said they were changing the music *making* universe.

But now I am sure it is some sort of networking product.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

they already have tape plugins (studer a800 etc) - there’s no way it’s something that basic given the hype (he says, ready to be disappointed)

It should be noted that their promos have really been pushing offloading the UAD-2 hardware leading up to this..
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
they already have tape plugins (studer a800 etc) - there’s no way it’s something that basic given the hype (he says, ready to be disappointed)

It should be noted that their promos have really been pushing offloading the UAD-2 hardware leading up to this..
They always have great promos. I haven't seen any offloading. When I bought my UAD-2 Quad almost a decade ago, I got a free 6176. I wouldn't mind such promo again
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac

I'm fired up to see what it is. I was considering a new x8p, but I don't know if I should wait now or not? I don't wanna hang myself out to dry
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdig View Post
I'm fired up to see what it is. I was considering a new x8p, but I don't know if I should wait now or not? I don't wanna hang myself out to dry
You do know NAMM actually means: “Not Available Maybe May?”

It could be a long wait.

I don't think it'll be an interface. Maybe an accelerator or controler, but not another interface.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZXXX View Post
What do you guys think is it safe for me to take my x16 out the box or should I wait a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Take it out and get to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdig View Post
I feel like UA has indirectly told us it's not an interface upgrade, whatever the release might be, judging by the above response.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
You do know NAMM actually means: “Not Available Maybe May?”

It could be a long wait.

I don't think it'll be an interface. Maybe an accelerator or controler, but not another interface.
It could be an apollo ADAT expander like what the dp88 is to tascam, but with unison preamps. That'd be a "system".

It could be the DAW mentioned. That'd be a "system" and would seem to be the next evolution of Console.

It could be a mic modeling system, or a DAW controler, but then UA would be burning business relationships with Townsend Labs and Softube, who released motorized faders recently, in those respective areas. That might be fine for UA. I'm just saying UA already have collaborated with those two companies to cover those bases.

Who knows besides UA? UA don't usually disappoint
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac
Dsp daw
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Indeed!!!

Has UAD ever considered an audio analyser plugin?

Here's the thread:

Hey UAD Staff - Can We Get an Quality Analyzer?
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

The A from their LUNA logo has a missing horizontal line, it looks like a "play" icon, pointing up.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel23 View Post
The A from their LUNA logo has a missing horizontal line, it looks like a "play" icon, pointing up.
Maybe it will be the ability to live track with the ampex, or a new tape sim that can be used to track live across all tracks and be sync'd.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac

I also wouldn't be mad at sonarworks integration in console, but that's a sore subject and hardly "revolutionary"
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
We really do NOT need another DAW and i just hope that isn't it.

Even Bitwig creators who came from Ableton and had all that prior knowledge, took years to get it to the level of others, as did presonus with S1.

Nothing will make me switch from pro tools, so it's moot for me anyway, but, for others, do you really want to replace your DAW?

I don't think so.
Old 10th January 2020
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by init0 View Post
Has UAD ever considered an audio analyser plugin?

Here's the thread:

Hey UAD Staff - Can We Get an Quality Analyzer?
We have all sorts of things we'd like to do..... but there's only so many hours in the day!!

But thanks for the feedback, it's an often requested feature for sure.
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
We have all sorts of things we'd like to do..... but there's only so many hours in the day!!

But thanks for the feedback, it's an often requested feature for sure.
As well as inserts on the console master fader.. please.. i really want to put a safety limiter there just one is all that's needed.. this i have been requesting for years.

So glad I stuck with you guys through that period of doubt.. there's no other "overall interface package" that combines what yours does at that price point.. I looked into alternatives and the closest was antelope but their eco system is so much more complex than yours, and the UA's always "just work". Even at 32 buffer playing VI's if I want.

Old 10th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Maybe it will be the ability to live track with the ampex, or a new tape sim that can be used to track live across all tracks and be sync'd.
I think this is where there going with the reels in the promo...we shall see
Old 10th January 2020
Im pretty sure its Synth related since the've posted a couple random pictures lately of studios filled with Synthesizers on social media......

I was thinking they are getting into the effects pedal software emulations but thats just a guess.....could be a soft synth.....it'd be crazy to see a hardware synth!

Cant wait to hear the news...
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
I think this is where there going with the reels in the promo...we shall see
I am convinced now it will be networked "expansions", an improvement on MCDSP's idea.

Since the tape reel is there (which i still haven't seen btw.. anyone got a link?), i really think it's going to be a box that digitally streams a bunch of channels, stackable and expandable, from the DAW and back..

What I can't quite get my finger on is what sort of reliable, non maintenance requiring analog processors could mimic tape in such a scenario, as I just find it hard to believe it will be something with literal spinning reels.

Maybe valves? Tubes? In combination with a plugin? We'll see.

Old 10th January 2020
MYN
Gear Addict

Video title may feel misleading within the context of this thread. Maybe related. Maybe not. Could it be part of a integrated DAW system that can be controlled wirelessly?

I found this on YT. Posted last year. Now, this Luna refers to a very successful Kickstarter product that allows you to use an iPad as a wireless lag-free second display with touchscreen capabilities. It could just be coincidence that UAD console is what is being used to demonstrate functionality.

As we all play internet detective, this was bound to come up in the convo.
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah421 View Post
Im pretty sure its Synth related since the've posted a couple random pictures lately of studios filled with Synthesizers on social media......

I was thinking they are getting into the effects pedal software emulations but thats just a guess.....could be a soft synth.....it'd be crazy to see a hardware synth!

Cant wait to hear the news...
Stop getting me excited again.

That said, it WOULD change music making.

Powercore never took off, and to this day scope is PC only and never became DAW integrated with plugins. (they tried and failed, years and years ago).

A 16 dsp dedicated synth box would be unspeakably awesome for me, and the one case where I would fo whatever it takes to buy it. I could get rid of some of my hardware synths and not worry about the idea of a beefier computer in future to run soft synths.

The other thing is the performance will always be the same with dsp synths, no reloading a project at high cpu usage and worrying it won't play back the next time!
Old 10th January 2020
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
Video title may feel misleading within the context of this thread. Maybe related. Maybe not.
Just a coincidence in naming.

https://lunadisplay.com
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:

So you guys might have to change it since they were first?

(teasing)
Old 10th January 2020
MYN
Gear Addict

Quote:

So we can eliminate this as a possibility. Good to know. Because if this is what UAD Luna was, it would be below expectations at this point.
Old 10th January 2020
TJ5
Gear Nut
My guess is a satellite of some sort based on the definition of Luna. Upgradeable DSP satellites?

I doubt it would be a new plugin since previous new plugins were just released with new Console updates. Plus they already have tape emulation plugins.

Also doubt it would be UAD-3 unless UAD-2 had a code name when it was first released.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Addict

I'm guessing a grown up version of izotopes spire studio. Computer free recording, very high quality, like a modern tape machine and with all the extra effects. Maybe controlled by an ipad like ox can be.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

What ever happens the name suggests we're going to be .... "over the moon" with it. Boom ...tish - thank you, thank you .... I'm here all week.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5 View Post
Plus they already have tape emulation plugins.
Oh, there are way more tape options than the three they sell now.
Old 10th January 2020
This is exactly what I think LUNA will be. I'm predicting a long awaited Console 3.0 update with remote WiFi connectivity (piggy-backing off of Catalina side-car tech). There will probably be a couple of new cool emulations, too!

The LUNA suggests a new platform, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hardware controller component for live mixing engineers.

As for those commenting on the SHARC DSP chipset - they're ultra reliable and stable. These chips are used by other industries were failure is not an option. UAD will not compromise their reliability and are clearly making a push into the live sound industry. They'll jam a 2U rack with 32 SHARC DSPs before changing platforms on a whim.

My hope is that they start integrating synthesizers (Access Virus), and Strymon pedals to their line, as these products also use the SHARC DSP chipset (as others in here have noted!).

Another thought:perhaps we'll see the ability to use external OCTO Thunderbolt-3/PCI cards to assist and supplement Unison processing? This would be huge.

Cheers,

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYN View Post
Video title may feel misleading within the context of this thread. Maybe related. Maybe not. Could it be part of a integrated DAW system that can be controlled wirelessly?

I found this on YT. Posted last year. Now, this Luna refers to a very successful Kickstarter product that allows you to use an iPad as a wireless lag-free second display with touchscreen capabilities. It could just be coincidence that UAD console is what is being used to demonstrate functionality.

As we all play internet detective, this was bound to come up in the convo.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search