The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces All-New LUNA Recording System
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

My guess is something like a RADAR... a virtual UAD recording hub.

But like others have mentioned, I WISH it was a control surface and/or synth.... I’d like a virtual OB8 please.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
If it’s an upgrade to the X units or UAD3, I’ll be ready to leave the UAD platform. I just bought an X unit as well
I literally just got my Apollo x16 in the mail today to...
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

What do you guys think is it safe for me to take my x16 out the box or should I wait a week
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

It could be something like a RADAR recording system...something that could be used for studio or live that could also have UAD plugins loaded into it. I know they have the UAD-2 Live Rack, but they haven't updated it since release and it seems their base might straddle both environments.

HOWEVER if it were going into this direction, I'm wondering if they'd go as big bucks as a RADAR, just because the market would be much larger to go after competing with mobile recording products from the likes of Roland or the iZotope Inspire. Just to be designerly, the unit will be "moon" shaped and can still fit easily into a backpack.

They want that entry-point-recording-product that gets people into their ecosystem.

I've been falsely thinking that they'd start having a DSP solution for emulating vintage keyboards live and in studio. I think it would be a natural evolution. They are often criticized for not having MIDI on their interfaces, which is stupid IMO because they are focused on audio, not MIDI. But if it was a box that could sit easily with a controller keyboard, give you options for audio and midi, and give you cool vintage sounds, that could be a sexy competitor to companies like Arturia, who have been moving more into production plugins.

If it were a mic'ing solution, could it be something 3D capturing all the "space" around you?
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aa63 View Post
My guess...N=Network

Live
Universal
Network
Applications

And the box will be an ethernet (or Dante?) connected processor that runs the UAD platform - their console (that may turn into a full mixer) and plug-ins, perhaps even with its own OS, perhaps that a monitor could connect to, that can be accessed by any computer/daw on the same network.

Its a Non-Linear Tape Machine/Editing-Capable DAW! You'll record on analogue tape but have the convenience of modern DAW editing. It will cost a fortune and break down twice a day.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Maniac

LU·NA·CY
noun
Releasing a product with 3 USB ports that still do nothing 2 years later. See Ox.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Hmm..

Luna=Moon, which is a natural satellite to Earth.

Networked Satellite?
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Come on guys. The close up on the reels is a dead giveaway…
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not if it requires new hardware
Huh? The point of UAD3 is that it would be new hardware. UAD2 was released in 2008, the processing technology is extremely outdated in computer terms.

Last edited by Teej; 10th January 2020 at 11:26 AM..
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Hopefully it’s native versions of their plugins... a man can dream
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Huh? The point of UAD3 is that it would be new hardware. UAD2 was released in 2008, the processing technology is extremely outdated in computer terms.
Maybe he means backwards compatibility?
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Hmm..

Luna=Moon, which is a natural satellite to Earth.

Networked Satellite?
I think this is a safe bet. Easily in their wheelhouse without inventing too much that's new.

But since it is showing a reel to reel tape machine, could it be offering something like Pro Tools HEAT?

I guess the networked option could save some larger studios from needing to have a satellite in each studio...if they network their rooms.

Probably just a larger chip count satellite with some specific features for networking. The HEAT-like feature would be just one of those extensions of something Oxide Tape on steroids.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Never upgrade anything IT close to NAMM.

I'm up for a Octo USB3 .... But I thought I'd pause until after NAMM .... just in case
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

inside scoop !!!!!!!! a preview photo !
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Announces All-New LUNA Recording System-luna.jpg  
Old 10th January 2020
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZXXX View Post
What do you guys think is it safe for me to take my x16 out the box or should I wait a week
Take it out and get to work!
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
But since it is showing a reel to reel tape machine, could it be offering something like Pro Tools HEAT?
Some kind of analog-modeled tape/summing plugins would be welcomed here!
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
also my hope
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I guess you missed my original post. I said I hope it’s not UAD3, assuming it needs new hardware, because I just bought an X
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess you missed my original post. I said I hope it’s not UAD3, assuming it needs new hardware, because I just bought an X
Understood.
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for that. So it's definitely not a new interface… Though to me the teaser does suggest new hardware
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Apollo = God of light and (sometimes) the sun, music etc in roman mythology ----> sun also a father symbol. Apollo incidentally also used arrows with his bow.
Luna = Goddess of the moon in roman mythology ---> moon also a mother symbol

Create/record musical idea with the help of Apollo and Luna manifests it in a song .

Ergo; DAW/Tape hardware combo; maybe some variety on McDSP's APB-16?

/Albus D
Old 10th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
This would be my guess, a tape-based summing engine in Console running on the DSP... putting the tape image and the words 'groundbreaking new system" together.

The word "system" indicates a hardware and software combo, but I think it has to be something compatible with current Apollo's (especially the x's) as they are too new to supersede right now.
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
I still haven't seen the reels peeps are talking about, i checked out UAD and Namm pages and I must be missing them

But if that's the case, obviously am wrong about synths.. and it's going to be something like MCDSP's thunderbolt analog compressor box, but for tape saturation.

Maybe 16 in and out with a plugin controlling it on DAW. I also have a feeling it will be out of my price range if that's the case..

Still, UAD have got my curiosity piqued and I can't wait to see what it is!
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear
I wouldn't be surprised with:

1) Tape-modeled summing in console, with tracking and take-management built in. Easily dump a session to PT or some other DAW once done tracking. Either track through the FX directly to files, or monitor only.

2) UAD3, along with the above.

nothing else makes much sense, and would surprise me.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
That's a phrase not to be used out of context!
Old 10th January 2020
Manufacturer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBoulden View Post
That's a phrase not to be used out of context!
Indeed!!!
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Sharc chips can play synths UA, I see you are present in the topic.. you have such an untapped platform there.. they could be loaded in console for zero latency and create a virtual midi input and be controlled by any standard midi track in the DAW.
You should ask John Bowen to port his pulsar synths.. they used sharcs!
But i'll take a tape box too.. for under 5 grand AUD. (3.5K US). I can't see that happening though for such a price :(
Old 10th January 2020
osk
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Sharc chips can play synths UA, I see you are present in the topic.. you have such an untapped platform there.. they could be loaded in console for zero latency and create a virtual midi input and be controlled by any standard midi track in the DAW.
You should ask John Bowen to port his pulsar synths.. they used sharcs!
But i'll take a tape box too.. for under 5 grand AUD. (3.5K US). I can't see that happening though for such a price :(
Access synths use sharc chips too, - Virus
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by osk View Post
Access synths use sharc chips too, - Virus
I didn't know this.. i thought they used motorola cause the virus B was a 1:1 on powercore cause it used the same chips as powercore.

They must have changed with with the C or TI.. and then yes, this would be a great thing to have, considering virus is no longer support on mac os 10.15 and up.

Hopefully UA will have another questionnaire soon, seems like ages since i filled one out.. and i am going to vote for everything synth

For LUNA..
damn i don't know how I missed it.. of course those saying the NA are right, networked audio.

But that doesn't mean networked as in collaboration overseas and stuff.. It might just mean something like rednet but specifically for dedicated UAD effects boxes and you can link them all via ethernet.
Now just to work out what LU stands for.

Loud, unwanted networked audio?
Old 10th January 2020
TNM
Lives for gear
oooh ohhh

The U is either for universal or unified.

Unified would be for a series of modules that are all part of some big ethernet eco system

Universal for something that could be used on basically any computer, so, brings me to ethernet again.

Now just to work out what the L might stand for.

"L unified network audio"

or

"L universal network audio"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search