The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces All-New LUNA Recording System
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Does it drop all Native plugins in the session once going in to record? Or just the once inserted on the record enabled tracks?
Just the plugins on the armed track. The rest of the mix is playing back in the fixed plugin buffer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Correct. This is where DSP will always be better than native CPU.

For you to drop your buffer to 32 (this happens for the entire session), means you can't be mixing as you record.

With LUNA, you can have a dense mix with all the plugins your CPU and UAD system can handle, and still at any point in the process arm a track and track live through UA DSP plugins.

If there happens to be AU plugins on that track, LUNA will temporarily disable them for you while you punch in or add a part, then reactivate for you afterwards.

We think this is ultimately a MUCH better workflow than being at the mercy of your global DAW buffer. Of course each user will decide what's important to them.

Hope this helps.
Well thats not actually how it works, with S1 for instance there are two buffers, one for tracking and one for the rest, it's similar in Logic as well, I can run at 32buffer and still have a pretty large project running, and then there is always low latency mode which disables any non zero latency plugins that are in the recording channels path, so it can be done I do it all the time, granted you need a very fast CPU to do this, and I except that it's not perfect, LUNA looks like a great system and clearly makes it even easier and more stable, I am still interested in what LUNA will bring but some things turn me of somewhat, such as the price of the instruments which IMO seem extreme compared to some of the great stuff available by others such as URS, it may or may not be the case but if feels and looks like greed to me, next UAD will be trying to claim their Moog is better than the rest that's why it costs more, but it won't be true of course because it's all subjective.
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Be sure to check LUNA out and see how it fits in.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just the plugins on the armed track. The rest of the mix is playing back in the fixed plugin buffer.
Thanks, that seems to be more in check with other DSP systems.

Also running a mix at 32buffer is not impossible these days with a fast enough computer and a DAW that can handle it. Please don't spread miss information that you can't mix at 32buffer.
Still lookin forward to give Luna a run through when it is released.
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Thanks, that seems to be more in check with other DSP systems.

Also running a mix at 32buffer is not impossible these days with a fast enough computer and a DAW that can handle it. Please don't spread miss information that you can't mix at 32buffer.
Still lookin forward to give Luna a run through when it is released.
I'm not spreading any misinformation.

My point is, that even with dual buffers, there's a significant hit to the CPU when you go to arm a track.

With LUNA, there's none.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm not spreading any misinformation.

My point is, that even with dual buffers, there's a significant hit to the CPU when you go to arm a track.

With LUNA, there's none.
Your words:
"For you to drop your buffer to 32 (this happens for the entire session), means you can't be mixing as you record. "
I am just quoting you.

I can mix at 32buffer and record through amp simulators in LogicPro with a TwinDuo as my interface
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
I can mix at 32buffer and record through amp simulators in LogicPro with a TwinDuo as my interface
With a CPU hit (meaning you have less mixing power), got it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Well thats not actually how it works, with S1 for instance there are two buffers, one for tracking and one for the rest, it's similar in Logic as well, I can run at 32buffer and still have a pretty large project running, and then there is always low latency mode which disables any non zero latency plugins that are in the recording channels path, so it can be done I do it all the time, granted you need a very fast CPU to do this, and I except that it's not perfect, LUNA looks like a great system and clearly makes it even easier and more stable, I am still interested in what LUNA will bring but some things turn me of somewhat, such as the price of the instruments which IMO seem extreme compared to some of the great stuff available by others such as URS, it may or may not be the case but if feels and looks like greed to me, next UAD will be trying to claim their Moog is better than the rest that's why it costs more, but it won't be true of course because it's all subjective.
Nothing is free my friend
Of course Luna is "free" but for it to be functional you need to spend money on their plug-ins and extra DSP! Personally I would spent my money on a newer faster computer so I can use the plug-ins I already own.
Still want to give Luna a whirl though
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
With a CPU hit (meaning you have less mixing power), got it.

One more question. Will the DSP-Accelerators work on recording tracks or just the DSP inside the Apollo interfaces?
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:

One more question. Will the DSP-Accelerators work on recording tracks or just the DSP inside the Apollo interfaces?
No change on this from the current workflow. Accelerators only process playback tracks, just as now.

What IS cool though is that LUNA can now dynamically allocate DSP as you work.

For example, an Arrow with a OCTO Satellite: You can keep a maxed out input signal chain loaded on your Arrow DSP and as you unarm each track to record the next track, LUNA will automatically move those plugins to the Satellite for playback as you continue to use (or make a new chain) on the Arrow for the next live input. Hope this makes sense.
Old 2 weeks ago
I cant see why it would be an issue with only being able to track with UAD plugins. Its just monitoring, you can mix with anything you like after. And if you have an Apollo you at least have all the legacy plugins. I try to track with HW as much as possible but do use plugins as well, for different reasons. With UAD pres, eqs, comps, reverb etc, what 3rd party plugins would make that of a difference for setting up a monitoring chain? I'm legitimately curious.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

How about making something like Blue Cat's PatchWork in UAD format?
for recording with 3rd party plug-ins..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by june View Post
How would it help?
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by june View Post
This wouldn't matter. The issue is the CPU. This is why DSP is still king for low latency paths.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Nothing is free my friend
Of course Luna is "free" but for it to be functional you need to spend money on their plug-ins and extra DSP!
As it only works with Apollo interfaces, I would think 99.99% of Luna users would already have enough plug-ins and DSP.

It will certainly be functional on my system (Apollo 8 with a smallish number of UAD plug-ins).
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
As it only works with Apollo interfaces, I would think 99.99% of Luna users would already have enough plug-ins and DSP.

It will certainly be functional on my system (Apollo 8 with a smallish number of UAD plug-ins).
Indeed, you'll have exactly the same power on day 1 with LUNA as you did with your old DAW.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Somehow I have convinced myself that getting to my hands on Luna now will make covid 19 bearable? Yeah?

I want to mess with that Moog especially.

Isn't it spring yet?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Dear UAD, we know you don't want to rush this, but we are all (for the most part) a captive audience with time on our hands, maybe for several more weeks. I think you are missing an opportunity here by not releasing LUNA now. Bugs are expected and they are solved by feedback. Let us at it now while the professionals and hobbyist alike are waiting to play with something new during the shutdown.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Tell me about it.. shelter in place for two weeks starts Thursday for us
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
Dear UAD, we know you don't want to rush this, but we are all (for the most part) a captive audience with time on our hands, maybe for several more weeks. I think you are missing an opportunity here by not releasing LUNA now. Bugs are expected and they are solved by feedback. Let us at it now while the professionals and hobbyist alike are waiting to play with something new during the shutdown.
Hi neofolk,
LUNA's release involves a cloud backbone/infrastructure to deliver it and its Extensions and Instruments. And that is still being worked on as I type. It's not as if LUNA is sitting and waiting and we're artificially holding it back for a specific release date.

We said Spring 2020 for a reason-because it's such a huge undertaking-we needed the flexibility.

Having said all that, we understand the situation and are working feverishly to see what we can do. We might even
hear something this week, stay tuned.

Thanks for understanding. If we could just release it, we would.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
The one thing keeping me from committing to Luna is the fact that I mix “on the go” and can’t be tethered to a physical Apollo device.

That could certainly change now that we find ourselves in this new world of Covid.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The one thing keeping me from committing to Luna ... is that it's Mac ONLY!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
The one thing keeping me from committing to Luna ... is that it's Mac ONLY!
You don’t have a Mac?

Sucks to be you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Once you go Mac, you never go back
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephew312 View Post
Tell me about it.. shelter in place for two weeks starts Thursday for us
Man, we've been at it for 10 days already!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
On the go? Arrow. Larger backpack. Windows PC-bound? Hackintosh. Dual-boot. Covid will pass. Everything does. Try the glass half full deal for a while.
Old 1 week ago
the tempo map that LUNA creates from free time recorded audio.... down to what resolution is it.. Bar or Beat?

Cheers

Wiz
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonljacobi View Post
On the go? Arrow. Larger backpack. Windows PC-bound? Hackintosh. Dual-boot. Covid will pass. Everything does. Try the glass half full deal for a while.
An arrow?

Lol, no.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Think of it as the dongle. Personally, I don’t see why they can’t just ilok it for portable use and gray the DSP fx, but I’ve dragged guitars all over the world. You do what you have to do. Or not.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi neofolk,
LUNA's release involves a cloud backbone/infrastructure to deliver it and its Extensions and Instruments. And that is still being worked on as I type. It's not as if LUNA is sitting and waiting and we're artificially holding it back for a specific release date.

We said Spring 2020 for a reason-because it's such a huge undertaking-we needed the flexibility.

Having said all that, we understand the situation and are working feverishly to see what we can do. We might even
hear something this week, stay tuned.

Thanks for understanding. If we could just release it, we would.
Now when everyone's more or less forced to be at home it seems like an ideal time to introduce this as people will have the time to get into it properly.

Even if not everything's done, wouldn't one option be to release a public beta?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search