The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FX plugins that surprise you again and again on how good they are?
Old 12th January 2020
Lives for gear

For me, it was the softube FET today.

I just can't find another native 1176 plugin I like this much.

I had an acoustic percussion drum sequence that has some taming it needed and a really nasty spike at the end.

To control that, 90% of the plugins I tried needed to really drastically alter the sound of the entire sequence, and some just couldn't manage the peak at *all*.. it literally shot right through them.

I did want some slight glue on it, but I didn't want any obvious pumping or distortion..

The softube was able to do the light compression where it needed, just to gently tame the peaks, and then i had honed in the low pass for the big boom at the end that spikes like 10 DB.. and it controls it meticulously.. with the entire sequence sounding basically as it was recorded, no obvious harsh compression.

Arousor was also very good but it needed the THD dialled up a bit to really grab that peak, which altered the sound just a tad too much for this case. And if I had it at fastest attack it was too obvious throughout.

The thing is, the softube can be absolutely brutal if you want it to be, and completely crush something and totally change the dynamics of it.. but here I was able to apple some transparent gentle compression on the whole clip whilst totally taming that insane transient boost at the end. It was able to maintain the integrity of the source material better than everything else I tried (i don't have the UAD satellites on the laptop though, they are with the imac, so, didn't try any of them )

It's one plugin I bought when it first came out and have never ever had a desire to part with it

What did you use recently that surprised you how good it was?
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

I also love my Softube FET
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear
The one that BLEW MY MIND today was the IK Multimedia Dyna-MU.

Gosh damn this this is *epic*. What a wonderful compressor plugin. Make the NI version look like a joke in comparison (and I think that was coded by softube ironically).

Picked it up in a 4 for 1 group buy and never really gave it much time before today. Another 10/10 plugin.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head

Fabfilter Pro-R...perfect balance of power and versatility. My new go-to.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
Fabfilter Pro-R...perfect balance of power and versatility. My new go-to.
It's a brilliant bread and butter reverb.. my native go to as well.

So is pro Q3 for EQ.

Pro G is my go to gate.

I do own the bundle and funnily enough I never seem to go to pro C2,Timeless (too complicated), Volcano or Saturn. I do like pro MB but don't like percentages replacing milliseconds which is what i am used to with dynamics.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I do own the bundle and funnily enough I never seem to go to pro C2,Timeless (too complicated), Volcano or Saturn. I do like pro MB but don't like percentages replacing milliseconds which is what i am used to with dynamics.
It's hard for me to pick C2 over a good old-fashioned hardware emulation.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Sonic Timeworks Compressor X - has been surprising me on and off for years. Very good sounding and adaptable with it's several use-modes. Defunct now, and it'll be a shame when it comes time to loose it.
http://www.sonictimeworks.com/p_compx.php
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Picked it up in a 4 for 1 group buy and never really gave it much time before today. Another 10/10 plugin.
Where do you "group buy" Softube stuff from?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I honesty can't think of any. the ones I have work well but not really well.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixcore View Post
Where do you "group buy" Softube stuff from?
You misread. The group buy was on the Ik stuff. They have group buys every few months.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Sonic Timeworks Compressor X - has been surprising me on and off for years. Very good sounding and adaptable with it's several use-modes. Defunct now, and it'll be a shame when it comes time to loose it.
http://www.sonictimeworks.com/p_compx.php
That algorithm was added to a brilliant AU/VST plugin from a few years ago.. it was a channel strip, and my favourite that I have ever used.. I can't even get the installer anymore even though I bought it. Michael from sonic timeworks coded it.

Damn I can't even remember the name of it but it had a fully featured EQ, comp with 2 algos, Gate, multiband stereo width, saturation and something else. Such a cool plugin.

PS Mike was the coder.. it was NOT released under the timeworks brand at all.. he is not to blame for it's extinction.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
That algorithm was added to a brilliant AU/VST plugin from a few years ago.. it was a channel strip, and my favourite that I have ever used.. I can't even get the installer anymore even though I bought it. Michael from sonic timeworks coded it.

Damn I can't even remember the name of it but it had a fully featured EQ, comp with 2 algos, Gate, multiband stereo width, saturation and something else. Such a cool plugin.

PS Mike was the coder.. it was NOT released under the timeworks brand at all.. he is not to blame for it's extinction.
MixControl Pro?
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
MixControl Pro?
That's the one!
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Sonimus Burnley 73... the very best Neve 1073 style plugin out there IMO
Old 17th January 2020
Well lads!

Wasn't it the Manny Marroquin plugins that came along back in the days and blew us all away!
A Lexicon classed reverb and echo that made us all believe in a all digital recording chain on "all wet".
We became with the chain, masters of all!
But the PuigChild is one of the all time best, and the waves C4 and the API eq's!

Cheers, K. Svensson
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
I was surprised at how effective the Waves CLA collection is.

Also Analog Obsession Sweet Drums seems to stick on things. It has a certain clarity in the mids, along with a light saturation.
It's becoming one of my fav go to processors, highly recommend.

I can't live without UA Fatso Sr. Crazy on drum buss.

Those are 3 that come to mind, as FX that I did not expect I would use as often as I do.
There are better FX that I have, but they don't make it on almost every mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

tantra by dmitry Sches. its so unique . You could literally put it over anything and you will get something that sounds epic
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i really like NI’s Replika XT delay.. it’s incredibly featureful
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

ProQ3
Valhalla Delay
Sonsig A
Kush Novatron
Kush TWK
Pro L3
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The whole Softube Weiss suite. Each one has its charms and uses.
The deesser on the MM just sort of works. It's my go to, now, for all but the most difficult tracks. And NOTHING beats the compressors in the DS-1 and Comp/Limiter for clean, colorless, smooth compression.

Also softube Drawmer S73 and 1973. Working with them makes me giggle with joy every time for totally different reasons.

Pulsar Mu. 'Nuff said.

True Iron

And I LOVE Slate VMS. <ducks>
(For those of us who are poor, having a bunch of different mic timbres to try on a vocal track is just brilliant. Notice I didn't try to insist they sound like the real thing...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

SKnote Disto-S, still shaves transients better than almost any other vst comp I've used.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Waves SSL, which I have been using non-stop since shortly after it came out. A couple of times a year I try to mix without it, and inevitably go back to it. The only thing that comes close is Duende, but it seems a bit more clinical.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

CLA Signature Series.

My first reaction was "this is gimmicky" but every time I try them they just work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Uhbik-T

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search