The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2020 Mac Pro Owners Thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by derdiedasscheusa View Post
Do you have a geekbench 5 score?
Benchmarks are best taken with a pinch of salt as they're designed to test systems 'properly' (i.e. core/load distribution). Most apps are nowhere near that efficient

Still, it would be interesting to see some scores for the sake of comparison vs the latest Ryzen stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesecession View Post
Massively underwhelmed with single core performance. Still have to increase my buffer to 256 for several orchestral libraries. Hate windows enough to live with it even though I am super close to making a return. 16 core btw.

Single core performance seems like about a 10-20% upgrade from the trash can 8 core using the same logic template. Laughable
This is expected. The Xeons have lower single core performance than the top of the line i9s.

It's multi core where they really shine. Synths and sample instruments that are well optimized for that many cores will slay.

Developers will better optimize for that many cores in the next year or two, since the number available to most people now is much higher.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Massively underwhelmed with single core performance. Still have to increase my buffer to 256 for several orchestral libraries. Hate windows enough to live with it even though I am super close to making a return. 16 core btw.

Single core performance seems like about a 10-20% upgrade from the trash can 8 core using the same logic template. Laughable
I wonder if this is just a result of the processors being throttled, and if that might change with OS updates (pro mode)?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I wonder if this is just a result of the processors being throttled, and if that might change with OS updates (pro mode)?
It would be such a shame if the processor never got to spread its wings because the cooling to handle it is definitely there. A little more CPU would let me stay at 128 buffer. Some virtual instruments still eat **** at 256 but only ones with unique programming features like Spitfire: Kepler Orchestra & Slate and Ash: Cycles.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think the Mac Pro is throttled, that was related to MBP etc due to heat problems.

Intel Power Gadget keeps track of your CPU frequency (along with power usage and CPU temp). Very handy:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7...er-gadget.html
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I don't think the Mac Pro is throttled, that was related to MBP etc due to heat problems.

Intel Power Gadget keeps track of your CPU frequency (along with power usage and CPU temp). Very handy:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7...er-gadget.html
Maybe Logic is the problem?

Two screenshots comparing Logic to Intel meters. One is a big session and the other is a medium session + trying to play a heavy vst in real time at 128 buffer.

https://imgur.com/a/rINaj8T
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe Logic is the problem?

Two screenshots comparing Logic to Intel meters. One is a big session and the other is a medium session + trying to play a heavy vst in real time at 128 buffer.

https://imgur.com/a/rINaj8T
What do you view as the problem here?

Remember that Logic's meter is not displaying total usage of your CPU across the whole system, it shows its own usage of the CPU % allocated to it. Logic can't 'see' the system-wide CPU usage. The amount that is allocated is what 'Process Buffer Range' deals with. Having it on high should increase the Core Utilization you see on the Intel meter (but this does affect latency, how much so I'm not sure because I've personally not tried setting it to high before).

One thing this confirms is there's definitely no throttling going on because of thermals. 50 C is well under the throttle range.

In the medium session, see how the 32nd thread is loaded all the way up? This is why you'll get overloads. At low buffer sizes, to decrease latency, individual threads get loaded up faster. Certain synths push it over the edge very quickly because they don't spread the load out as much at low buffer sizes. An example of a synth that does this very WELL is Omnisphere, from my own testing. You won't see it load up on individual threads as much with lower buffer sizes.

It doesn't matter how much headroom you have on the other threads at low buffer sizes, if one overloads, the DAW has to stop or you'll get artifacts.

EDIT: My two cents; a new Mac Pro with the i9 9900K would increase single-core performance (it has the best single core performance of ANY chip on the market). So this problem you're having at low buffer sizes would be improved. However, the tradeoff is lower core count (only 8 for the i9).

If Intel ever makes a blazing 12+ core i9 (which may not be for several years, if ever), that'd be the best one for us audio guys. The options are just limited at the moment. Apple goes with the higher core count Xeons for the Mac Pro because they're the better option overall for most Applications.

My other argument is software developers should improve how their synths behave in the coming years. You may not need better single core if they can spread their load out over the other cores better and keep latency down.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Received today.. will begin the software process later this week! 384g owc ram will be ordered in the next few weeks. She won’t be in the studio until mid March anyways so there is some time for optimization!
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Mac Pro Owners Thread-1b97e63c-25cf-453a-8315-6ae42cc69a04.jpeg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Guys, I was just asking for a GB 5 score of his specific machine to see if it‘s in line with the others or if his was slower for some reason.

The throttling issue has been discussed already in the other thread, and the tone of the discussion went south quickly which I hope we won‘t see here.

In a nutshell: MacOs powerthrottles the CPU so it doesn‘t run at it‘s full potential. If you run the machine in Windows under Bootcamp it performs better because more power is delivered. It is NOT thermal throttling. Thermals are outstanding and leave a huge headroom. Let‘s hope the Powermode will come to the Mac Pro too and not only the MBP 16.

Rackunit looks like a beast
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Guys, I was just asking for a GB 5 score of his specific machine to see if it‘s in line with the others or if his was slower for some reason.

The throttling issue has been discussed already in the other thread, and the tone of the discussion went south quickly which I hope we won‘t see here.

In a nutshell: MacOs powerthrottles the CPU so it doesn‘t run at it‘s full potential. If you run the machine in Windows under Bootcamp it performs better because more power is delivered. It is NOT thermal throttling. Thermals are outstanding and leave a huge headroom. Let‘s hope the Powermode will come to the Mac Pro too and not only the MBP 16.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If any of you guys here have one cheese-grater MacPro 5,1 (dual and fastest CPU would be great) and with cca. 32-64 RAM I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

I have my own SSDs and other stuff to put in so I am just looking for that particular machine.

It's a shame to go to waste and that one fits my needs.

Thanks guys!

Krešo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Do you have a geekbench 5 score?
16 core mac pro GB5:

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Details: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/1063390

Quite a bit lower than the main benchmark page. Every app was closed and ran after a reboot. I did notice Window Server in the activity monitor is constantly using 21-30% cpu, not sure if thats abnormal?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
If any of you guys here have one cheese-grater MacPro 5,1 (dual and fastest CPU would be great) and with cca. 32-64 RAM I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

I have my own SSDs and other stuff to put in so I am just looking for that particular machine.

It's a shame to go to waste and that one fits my needs.

Thanks guys!

Krešo
Yeah but I'm not shipping overseas. I have two.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
16 core mac pro GB5:

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Quite a bit lower than the main benchmark page. Every app was closed and ran after a reboot. I did notice Window Server in the activity monitor is constantly using 21-30% cpu, not sure if thats abnormal?
That does seem quite low. Here's my 16 core GB5 - 1175 single/16120 multi:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/867395
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
16 core mac pro GB5:

Single-Core Score
Multi-Core Score

Your machine is almost in the 12 core ballpark benchmark wise, so if I were you I would swap it for another one and accept no compromise.

Maybe give it a last try with a clean install, no migration and test again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I will confirm this. I did extensive testing between 3 MacBook pros and concluded the os was doing something to lower the cpu call when the machine was under full load. The cpu call was taken below the base clock when external monitors were added. All of this was completely NOT related to temperature but load and something with the bus as the external monitor dropped the cpu call below base freq. it is definitely something with the OS and I speculate that the os lowers the cpu call to allow more headroom for additional tasks that get added.

This makes the experience much better for the user as the machine never “feels sluggish “ despite the cpu being at 100%. If the os didn’t do this things start to slow dramatically and programs hang and crash. It’s actually quite amazing how the os functions under 100% cpu load. We did extensive stress tests And we’re surprised how the Mac book pros 2017 and 2018 in this case held up. I would prefer the os not reduce the cpu calls below the base frequency but I’m thinking their is a very good reason for it.

I would rather have the machine not feel like a pos to use than get 4 more voices out of my vi.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

In a new development it appears that the world of 8k TVs is full of a bunch of false advertising and deceptive BS. We bought the Samsung Q900 55” 8k tv to use as a main monitor. First off screen was bad (dark shadows on both sides of the screen about 3” wide. Second apparently there is no port on the unit that will accept an 8k signal. Are you thinking you have got to be kidding? Well after hours with Samsung support I asked them how one gets and 8k signal to play on the tv. They cannot answer this. They are even unclear what type of hdmi port is being used in slot 4 (required for 8k hdmi). The manual says the tv can do it but no joy. We have tried the core 2 duo a Vega 64 all correct cabling. Turns out you need an hdmi 2.1 port for 8k 60Hz. No gpus are shipping with those yet \ LG TVs have them (with no output source this is kind of pointless). A display port 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter is rumored to be “coming soon”

If you dig you find that Samsung MIGHT have an updated oneconnect box with a different port. This is yet to be determined as Samsung tech support is useless. They advised I ask the tv repair man what was needed to get the tv to run an 8k signal. I about spit up my tea laughing my ass of and then asked the Samsung guy to repeat his instruction a few time so I could get a chuckle. I simply stated that if you as the manufacturer don’t know the answer to the question - and apparently there is nobody that works at Samsung that can answer the question - then how should my tv repair man who also fixes the washing machines going to advise which output source will get me an hdmi 2.1 port to plug into an unknown port on the onconnect that likely will not output 8k video unless you have a magic carpet to ride while chanting your curse words. Ffs I mean it’s really frustrating

Apple is also unsure if it’s even possible for the Mac Pro to handle the resolution regardless the card or tv. This is being worked on so when I have an answer I’ll report back. DO NOT buy an 8k tv right now. Won’t work in 8k as a monitor yet. I am hopeful my perseverance will ultimately pay off but what a major pain in th asss it will be.

Oh and the gpu units in the Mac Pro are tied to the T2 chips so if you want to exchange or downgrade it’s not possible. They force you to return the entire machine. Because that makes all the sense in the world
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's really no point getting 8K on a 55" TV. I use a 65" Sony as the main monitor, sitting 6-7 feet away. At normal 4K resolution the text/UI is too small to be useable and/or productive, and hence use it in HiDPI mode (essentially Retina 1080p) at 60Hz 4:4:4.

Native 8K resolution on a smaller 55' would be even worse, plugins and text would be on the micro scale. Using HiDPI would waste pixels too. Save your money and get a top 4K model from last year, focusing on good blacks, colour and especially movement.

8K is only relevant for large projectors. Cramming that many pixels into medium sized TVs is a pointless marketing endeavour that makes no technical sense.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarfire View Post
In a new development it appears that the world of 8k TVs is full of a bunch of false advertising and deceptive BS. We bought the Samsung Q900 55” 8k tv to use as a main monitor. First off screen was bad (dark shadows on both sides of the screen about 3” wide. Second apparently there is no port on the unit that will accept an 8k signal. Are you thinking you have got to be kidding? Well after hours with Samsung support I asked them how one gets and 8k signal to play on the tv. They cannot answer this. They are even unclear what type of hdmi port is being used in slot 4 (required for 8k hdmi). The manual says the tv can do it but no joy. We have tried the core 2 duo a Vega 64 all correct cabling. Turns out you need an hdmi 2.1 port for 8k 60Hz. No gpus are shipping with those yet \ LG TVs have them (with no output source this is kind of pointless). A display port 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter is rumored to be “coming soon”

If you dig you find that Samsung MIGHT have an updated oneconnect box with a different port. This is yet to be determined as Samsung tech support is useless. They advised I ask the tv repair man what was needed to get the tv to run an 8k signal. I about spit up my tea laughing my ass of and then asked the Samsung guy to repeat his instruction a few time so I could get a chuckle. I simply stated that if you as the manufacturer don’t know the answer to the question - and apparently there is nobody that works at Samsung that can answer the question - then how should my tv repair man who also fixes the washing machines going to advise which output source will get me an hdmi 2.1 port to plug into an unknown port on the onconnect that likely will not output 8k video unless you have a magic carpet to ride while chanting your curse words. Ffs I mean it’s really frustrating

Apple is also unsure if it’s even possible for the Mac Pro to handle the resolution regardless the card or tv. This is being worked on so when I have an answer I’ll report back. DO NOT buy an 8k tv right now. Won’t work in 8k as a monitor yet. I am hopeful my perseverance will ultimately pay off but what a major pain in th asss it will be.

Oh and the gpu units in the Mac Pro are tied to the T2 chips so if you want to exchange or downgrade it’s not possible. They force you to return the entire machine. Because that makes all the sense in the world
Yep, I had the same issue with Apple but didn’t know it was because of the t2 chip. Sent it back for a refund.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
??? I have seen several YouTube videos of folks putting 3rd party gfx cards in the 7.1 MP successfully. I also could swear I saw references to Apple offering upgrade MPX cards.

WTF is going on here? And to think I was considering selling my 10 core iMac Pro and getting a nMP - screw that! iMP is more than adequate right now and I saved a ton of cash.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
??? I have seen several YouTube videos of folks putting 3rd party gfx cards in the 7.1 MP successfully. I also could swear I saw references to Apple offering upgrade MPX cards.

WTF is going on here? And to think I was considering selling my 10 core iMac Pro and getting a nMP - screw that! iMP is more than adequate right now and I saved a ton of cash.
I'm not sure it is true.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210408

Nothing said about it there- and you have been able to buy Vega 2 cards for the new MP as a separate purchase.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I'm not sure it is true.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210408

Nothing said about it there- and you have been able to buy Vega 2 cards for the new MP as a separate purchase.
Yeah I think this T2 - Graphics card thing is not right. Apple would not tell you how to install other graphics cards if they were tied to the T2.

I understand the T2- SSD thing for security and integrity but graphics don't fall under this banner.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hope this info is helpful to those looking to purchase. Our benchmarking and experience using the machine will be posted here as we do it. Might put together some YouTube vids as well if it seems like they would be helpful.
What I would find helpful and be appreciative of, is info on how your Goliath HD is working for you with the new system?

I have the 16 core Mac Pro as well, but I’m having no luck yet with Thunderbolt communication with the Goliath HD. Or are you strictly running HDX?

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just installed pro tools ultimate and hd driver w HDX card.. upon restarting after the install I’m getting black screen w Apple logo and white load bar that stops at half way.. anyone else have this issue?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrohanek View Post
Yeah I think this T2 - Graphics card thing is not right. Apple would not tell you how to install other graphics cards if they were tied to the T2.

I understand the T2- SSD thing for security and integrity but graphics don't fall under this banner.
Was told it was tied to the t2 making it impossible to swap by a senior level tech one step down from engineering. He could be blowing smoke but I do know for sure that I have to return the entire machine if I don’t want to run the core 2 duo. I tried hard to keep it so asked several different way why and that’s how the t2 came up. Maybe to keep people from stealing them?

5k for a graphics card is on the high side. Not enough benchmarking yet to tell if the card is worth 5k for processing. Possibly is as it’s the only thing like it that exists ATM that I am aware.

I really don’t want to be down another 2-3 weeks if we have to wait for a replacement. They actually won’t even let me take it to a store and have the store swap the card. Which seems odd. Maybe they don’t want tons of people lugging their 16k Mac pros thru the malls of America bad pr

Amazing machine - always blows me away how much higher apples engineering standards are vs. the rest of the world. The fans are a marvel. So is everything else for a computer it’s really extremely well built. Love this machine minus the self inflicted display snafu.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

My GB5 scores are 1095 single 13572 multi 16 core 32 Gb ram have not done the 385 ram upgrade as we are trying to figure out if we are being forced to return.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Mac Pro Owners Thread-a1cc4144-5f25-4a5f-bcac-cca8e85d8bc8.jpg   2020 Mac Pro Owners Thread-72ae94fc-6517-4414-bd09-296abfe663a5.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephew312 View Post
Just installed pro tools ultimate and hd driver w HDX card.. upon restarting after the install I’m getting black screen w Apple logo and white load bar that stops at half way.. anyone else have this issue?
As soon as you power your Mac on hold down command+v. This will make it boot in Verbose mode (you see what's loading rather than the Apple logo).

Share a photo of where it gets stuck.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What I would find helpful and be appreciative of, is info on how your Goliath HD is working for you with the new system?

I have the 16 core Mac Pro as well, but I’m having no luck yet with Thunderbolt communication with the Goliath HD. Or are you strictly running HDX?

Cheers
Yes installed flawlessly after I did a bit of fumbling to find the correct downloads. I have the hd that was before the gen three They call it the Goliath hd which I believe is the gen 2.

Hooked up via thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter from Apple into bus 1 of core II duo card.

My process was

Start Mac Pro without Goliath plugged in or turned on.

Download and install unified Apple drivers.
Plug in thunderbolt cable to Mac and Power on Goliath
Download and install antelope launcher.

Automatically found my unit. Click start control panel on launcher. This did a bunch of auto updating to launcher and also updated the Goliath firmware and fpga. This all took less than 10 minutes and everything worked perfectly without even restarting the Mac.

What issues are u having?

And oh my it sounds so good it’s been offline for a bit my goodness ...lol

Can wait to hear these new Dutch 8c’s

Might sound dumb but Did you install the Apple unified drivers? I do that first. Prior to plugging machine in. No real reason other than makes sense to me to have the drivers in befor the unit is trying to talk to the Mac. No idea if the order matters
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrohanek View Post

You can absolutely can install them after the fact and run any gpu you like (think safest to stay with amd cards). I’m supposed to talk to support next day or two so I’ll get clarification of what the t2 has to do with it. Perhaps he was just making sht up to justify me having to return the machine?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes installed flawlessly after I did a bit of fumbling to find the correct downloads. I have the hd that was before the gen three They call it the Goliath hd which I believe is the gen 2.

Hooked up via thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter from Apple into bus 1 of core II duo card.

My process was

Start Mac Pro without Goliath plugged in or turned on.

Download and install unified Apple drivers.
Plug in thunderbolt cable to Mac and Power on Goliath
Download and install antelope launcher.

Automatically found my unit. Click start control panel on launcher. This did a bunch of auto updating to launcher and also updated the Goliath firmware and fpga. This all took less than 10 minutes and everything worked perfectly without even restarting the Mac.

What issues are u having?

And oh my it sounds so good it’s been offline for a bit my goodness ...lol

Can wait to hear these new Dutch 8c’s

Might sound dumb but Did you install the Apple unified drivers? I do that first. Prior to plugging machine in. No real reason other than makes sense to me to have the drivers in befor the unit is trying to talk to the Mac. No idea if the order matters
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean the Antelope unified drivers for OSX? I did install those, as well as the launcher, and updated to the latest.

Mine just isn't being detected over TB. Apple cables, same as you. I'm just on with chat support now. Hopefully I can get it going. Nothing we've tried so far has worked.

I just have the basic video card though. The TB ports are on a PCIe card with 2 TB and 2 USB ports. I've tried both, as well as the two on the top of the Mac Pro.

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search