The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2020 Mac Pro Owners Thread
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I DO!!! I'm the guy whop breaks the crap. LOL.

I'm trying to avoid that, but yes, you're right. Maybe I'll just transfer all the libraries to an external SSD to make installation easier and quicker -- which kind of installed on a SSD anyway from earlier installs on my other MP 5,1. This time I tried to avoid confusing things by installing the libraries where the installation disks wanted to install them. I have 4TB anyway, so why sweat it? And I have two other PCIe SSDs, so I got the storage for now. BTW I have tried it with no PCI (2 SSD, UAD Quad and a 3.0 USB), and no plugins to no avail.

I have been on with Apple Support as well as the MH developer who I'm close with. The Apple report went up to engineering, which indicates something. I haven't yet heard back. I wrote my apple advisor this morning. I'm hoping to extend the return policy or exchange or something. I've had a couple of random crashes which lead one insider to suggest it might be bad memory. That I might have a lemon. Typical. LOL.
Might be worth ruling out memory if it’s the ram they are talking about.

Would be an easy test. Depending on your config take it down to two sticks. Pull both and reseat them. If problem still occurs pull one of the two and retest. If Same problem put first one back in and pull second and test. Very unlikely you have two bad sticks. I’m sure you also cleared your pram already but on each ram stick reset reboot the machine holding cmd opt p r at same time.

This would rule out memory and should only take 30 mins to complete. Just a though would love to see you up and running without more hassle.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarfire View Post
Might be worth ruling out memory if it’s the ram they are talking about.

Would be an easy test. Depending on your config take it down to two sticks. Pull both and reseat them. If problem still occurs pull one of the two and retest. If Same problem put first one back in and pull second and test. Very unlikely you have two bad sticks. I’m sure you also cleared your pram already but on each ram stick reset reboot the machine holding cmd opt p r at same time.

This would rule out memory and should only take 30 mins to complete. Just a though would love to see you up and running without more hassle.
I just had factory install basic 32gb memory. So I don't think I can remove a couple of sticks, right?

Believe it or not I have not reset the pram. Normally that's one of the first things I do, but IDK. This new super-duper MP - I'm not sure any more what I should or shouldn't do. Like I can't use Disk Warrior any more. That's always been mt goto fixer-upper.

Thanks. I'll let you know! Very much appreciated.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 14th January 2020 at 08:31 PM..
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

I just got off the phone with Apple. They won't / don't send out replacement graphics cards for the 2019 Mac "Pro" to customers directly, instead they request for US to lug it to an Apple store in a Mall for a repair... Really APPLE? Pro ?

Gonna give engineering another day or two, and if no resolve, then I will just rebox this and send it back for a refund. Time is money and my time has been wasted, going on for 11 days now with this unresolved issue. Got Work to do!

Vent Over.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Doucet View Post
I just got off the phone with Apple. They won't / don't send out replacement graphics cards for the 2019 Mac "Pro" to customers directly, instead they request for US to lug it to an Apple store in a Mall for a repair... Really APPLE? Pro ?

Gonna give engineering another day or two, and if no resolve, then I will just rebox this and send it back for a refund. Time is money and my time has been wasted, going on for 11 days now with this unresolved issue. Got Work to do!

Vent Over.
im sorry to hear that, for multiple reasons. Lucky for me I have an Apple store about 4 miles away. But still. That’s not very pro. Good luck!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

I just placed an order for the 16 core tower. Fingers crossed that I don't run into some of the hassles that you guys have.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
im sorry to hear that, for multiple reasons. Lucky for me I have an Apple store about 4 miles away. But still. That’s not very pro. Good luck!
Thanks!

Hope you get your issues with your MP straightened out too!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Vent Over.
They want you to buy the wheels so you can roll it in

Hope it all works out for you!
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Vent Over.

Have you tried any other monitors?

My old monitor did not work at all. I borrowed one and it did. Who knows, spec mismatch.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Addict

Working fine here... hp 27” monitor
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head

So far so good with my nMP (16 core). I thought I had some peculiar behaviour with my display (LG 5k ultrawide) because I’ve never used external displays before (always been an iMac / iMac Pro guy). For some reason the display has to be switched on first before powering up the computer in order to receive the signal. Switching the display on after the computer and it doesn’t get signal. Is that normal behaviour? Could be a driver thing.

Other than that all running smoothly so far. PT, Logic, UAD stuff all hooked up without a hitch.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
They want you to buy the wheels so you can roll it in

Hope it all works out for you!
400 dollar office chair wheels.. LOL
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Have you tried any other monitors?

My old monitor did not work at all. I borrowed one and it did. Who knows, spec mismatch.
I have tried it with an extra 27" Samsung monitor, same issue.. Hit and miss tho, as I got it to work on restart but it flickered, and then went black.. I tried 4 different cables on both monitors. Nada

BTW, both monitors work flawlessly with my 2015 macbook pro, and my friends IMAC pro 10 core... so theres that.

Yeh some sort of mismatch goin on...
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto85 View Post
So far so good with my nMP (16 core). I thought I had some peculiar behaviour with my display (LG 5k ultrawide) because I’ve never used external displays before (always been an iMac / iMac Pro guy). For some reason the display has to be switched on first before powering up the computer in order to receive the signal. Switching the display on after the computer and it doesn’t get signal. Is that normal behaviour? Could be a driver thing.

Other than that all running smoothly so far. PT, Logic, UAD stuff all hooked up without a hitch.
Curious which graphics card you have ? 580?
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Curious which graphics card you have ? 580?
Vega Duo (I’m also a filmmaker)
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
I have tried it with an extra 27" Samsung monitor, same issue.. Hit and miss tho, as I got it to work on restart but it flickered, and then went black.. I tried 4 different cables on both monitors. Nada

BTW, both monitors work flawlessly with my 2015 macbook pro, and my friends IMAC pro 10 core... so theres that.

Yeh some sort of mismatch goin on...
Pretty confident it’ll just be a software bug / an update required on the monitor side of things, to be honest.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto85 View Post
Pretty confident it’ll just be a software bug / an update required on the monitor side of things, to be honest.
I have a case open with samsung as well, but its the classic tale of one company blaming the other company, whose blaming the other company.... I'm just the guy in the middle shaking my head at the situation.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just had factory install basic 32gb memory. So I don't think I can remove a couple of sticks, right?

Believe it or not I have not reset the pram. Normally that's one of the first things I do, but IDK. This new super-duper MP - I'm not sure any more what I should or shouldn't do. Like I can't use Disk Warrior any more. That's always been mt goto fixer-upper.

Thanks. I'll let you know! Very much appreciated.
You will have 4 sticks. The ram is upper left side looking from front. There are two little slide buttons to the left of the stack of three plastic covers. Click these and slide the plastic covers slightly up on left and out. There are two to access the ram. Press the eject tabs on the left and right of each sick of ram. Then just press one back into slot one. Note the slot in the stick this sets the orientation. Line it up with notch in slot on mother board. There is a diagram on the back of the covers telling you which number slot the sticks go in based on how many you have.

The goal is process of elimination. If you take out all the ram and then try one stick. If you still have an issue try a different stick. You could repeat for a third for statistical means but if in the unlikely event its bad ram its likely only to be one of the 4 sticks that are bad. You just want to rule out the ram. Computers do strange things when they have bad ram. We have seen things from no boot to no video depending on the logic board over the years- thats on the PC side and I have a different set of opinions on that. We have never had an issue with a mac and ram so hard to say what it would do.

Apologies if I was getting too detailed for your experience level not sure how comfy you are doing computer work so wanted to try and do a step by step to be helpful.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Guru

Thank you thestarfire. I’ve replaced ram many times. I just know that the base level ram for this machine is 32gb. I didn’t know whether it would run on less than the basic amount.

Thank you.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Just curious about the pros/cons of AppleCare+ and if you guys have gotten it for your MP?

I'm not the kind of person that ever gets this sort of thing and think of 'extended warranties' as a scam, but on the macrumors forums everybody was talking about it being a nobrainer due to the expense of the machines - and especially if you get the XDR display. That said, it looks like you still have to pay an additional $299 or $99 for repairs anyway? Or was that just for accidental damage?

My Mac Pro is just sitting here, it's hard to imagine a sort of damage I'd do to it. For a laptop it makes sense.

3 years is also not much to me - 5 years might be more interesting..

Anyway you have 60 days to add it after the fact and I'm trying to to determine if I should.. $299 is significant.
I will add it, but couldn’t afford it today, after ordering the 16 core and Promise Pegasus J2i, then 128GB of ram from Newegg.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you thestarfire. I’ve replaced ram many times. I just know that the base level ram for this machine is 32gb. I didn’t know whether it would run on less than the basic amount.

Thank you.
Henry - sorry to hear of your Metric Halo woes. I'm assuming you've tried different sample rates and buffers, so I wonder if your machine has a setting or driver issue.

Something to try:

1) Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

2) Press the Clear Display toolbar button

3) Start DAW playback (or whatever it is that makes it fail)

You should see some log entries appear in Console. Paste them here for me to look at.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Henry - sorry to hear of your Metric Halo woes. I'm assuming you've tried different sample rates and buffers, so I wonder if your machine has a setting or driver issue.

Something to try:

1) Open /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

2) Press the Clear Display toolbar button

3) Start DAW playback (or whatever it is that makes it fail)

You should see some log entries appear in Console. Paste them here for me to look at.
Thanks. For the fourth time I got off the phone with Apple advisor who needs more data samples to send to engineering - 4th time for this. Somebody is looking at something.

What exactly do you want me to paste? System.log? Log reports?
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. For the fourth time I got off the phone with Apple advisor who needs more data samples to send to engineering - 4th time for this. Somebody is looking at something.

What exactly do you want me to paste? System.log? Log reports?
Click on All Messages, then choose File > Save Copy As. I'll PM you my email address. Hope fully I can spot something.

Worth a try!
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Click on All Messages, then choose File > Save Copy As. I'll PM you my email address. Hope fully I can spot something.

Worth a try!
I'm still not seeing it. But in the console under errors I see nothing but a string of coreaudio errors

HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002EE

I don't see File -> Save AS. I could take screenshot or movie and send PM.
Old 15th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
You mentioned Avast, Little Snitch and CCC... That's nonstandard software that reaches deeply into the OS and, consequently, has the potential to cause nasty surprises. IME, Antivirus apps for Mac are more trouble than they're worth...
Many thanks for responding to this, appreciated.
However, I'd like to clarify some of this should this help other users here:
1) Avast is running in passive mode, no effect of the OS & is only used to check new downloads etc with such a major install; also comes with iMO, the best password manager.
2) Little Snitch is an excellent Firewall, that's all. About external privacy and material coming in: has no effect on internal processes (like installs or communication to external verification etc).
3) Carbon Copy Cloner, that's the most important here IMO. We've been using this for a very long time in deploying Mac OS images to hundreds of computers in a university environment: labs, recording studios, multimedia studios. It is the 'go to' for OS backups, deployment and restore (along with somethng like Goodsync for external file synchronisation to NAS or similar).

CCC is mandatory for any Mac, IMHO & avoid TimeMachine for migration & anything beyond the casual file restore.
Old 15th January 2020
Install updates & overall impressions

My overall thoughts FWIW. The MP7,1 is now 'fully' set-up in my studio for now, clean installs for everything, hardware specs as per my sig. Two things:

1) The hardware has been flawless, am very impressed: fast, silent, connects instantly to everything I throw at it. TB3 buses all good, no overload, ditto USB, Displays & the PCIes.
  • UADs quad PCIE; Blackmagic Mini Monitor 4k (yet to add the NVMe riser)
  • Vega II HDMI driving Dell UW34, TB3 to Display port cable driving the BEnQ reference display.
  • TB bus 1 driving RME UFX+ & ADI-8; TB bus 2 driving BenQ display; TB bus 0 driving Thunderbay 6.
  • The two USB ports driving a 13 port USB 2.0 hub and a 7 port USB 3.0 hub.
  • Also running a 4 x USB port switcher to select between the MP 71, and a Dell T7910 workstation for iLok, Steinberg eLicencer, NI Komplete Kontrol S61 & a Presonus FaderPort 16. Works perfectly.
So in my experience so far, the MP7,1 hardware has been outstanding, if not a little overpriced, but hey ... we all understand the 'Apple tax, a significant portion of which includes the 'free' Mac OS. Which brings me to my second point:

2) Catalina is a dog. Hardly ready for prime time.
Much software lost and this is *not* a 64 bit vs 32bit thing. Much of the same software that runs perfectly on my Dell (Win10 Pro for Workstations 1909 OS) will no longer run on Catalina.
[As an aside, I see that the next Catalina 10.15.3 may be borrowing from the Windows 'tiers' in that this may offer a 'Pro mode' to bypass throttling etc until the next re-boot, and perhaps also a 'power save' mode for laptops etc which bypasses turbo boost etc for better battery life and less fan noise].
Am following up with some of the vendors to see what gives, despite many indicating 'Catalina-ready' BS. For now, a lot of this seems to reside in 3rd party AU Plugs (which is also BS because that is simply a propriety wrapper for VST). Overall, apps that use VST2 or VST3 seem mostly fine at first pass.

There are also cases of (slightly) older software not working under Catalina but continuing to be perfect in Windows, eg: Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 (not that old) or Waves V9. No way to get them on to Catalina & no, I do not want to upgrade and spend yet more. Will keep them on Windows.

If one were a user that went more exclusively with Apple apps FCPX, Motion, Logic (great with Diva I hear!) etc ... I imagine there would few issues. Stay inside the walled garden. When I start adding third party, this quickly becomes far more complex and unreliable. Need to hunt and peck though all of that. Whichever, am certainly awaiting the next Catalina and hopefully a few fixes and optimisations for the MP7.1

In sum, I guess mixed messages here: hardware great, OS poor. Take time with your installs and as much as possible, try to separate this out from the hardware. I hope this helps - my experience with this setup only of course. YMMV.
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Head

Accidentally installed my ram wrong and got to hear the fans at full speed. Holy **** can they move a ton of air! It would be such a shame to not take advantage of that. Hope to hear more about pro mode asap so I know if this can go next to my rack or in the closet. Those fans at full speed are very loud
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Guru

The latest from Apple regarding my situation. I just got off the phone with my advisor who just got off the phone with Apple Engineering.

My problem has been identified. There are enough reports of this, though no indication how many, to warrant a full investigation. They have no fix at this time. But the solution will probably take the form of a software update and some unspecified date. Argh.

At least I can take comfort that they have identified a problem and that there are some others as well.

But I don't know whether I should try to return it for a refund or replacement. Or hang on. I can still use my older 5,1 MP. I have a session coming up in 30 minutes and that is what I'm doing. Damn it.

But you see? I'm not crazy.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
The latest from Apple regarding my situation. I just got off the phone with my advisor who just got off the phone with Apple Engineering.

My problem has been identified. There are enough reports of this, though no indication how many, to warrant a full investigation. They have no fix at this time. But the solution will probably take the form of a software update and some unspecified date. Argh.

At least I can take comfort that they have identified a problem and that there are some others as well.

But I don't know whether I should try to return it for a refund or replacement. Or hang on. I can still use my older 5,1 MP. I have a session coming up in 30 minutes and that is what I'm doing. Damn it.

But you see? I'm not crazy.
Well, mine just left the building and headed back to Apple for a Refund. Too much of my time wasted beta testing the Mac Pro for Apple. Time is money and I am certainly disappointed in Apple for not being more accommodating to its Mac Pro customers in regards to sending out graphic cards to replace. I do have to say that Catalina has issues and I am not a fan of that OS either. I had several crashes yesterday and the day before as well. I just had had enough of waiting around on apple to fix these issues. Best of luck to all of you guys giving this thing a real shot. I may try another one at some point later on when apple hopefully irons out the issues.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, mine just left the building and headed back to Apple for a Refund. Too much of my time wasted beta testing the Mac Pro for Apple. Time is money and I am certainly disappointed in Apple for not being more accommodating to its Mac Pro customers in regards to sending out graphic cards to replace. I do have to say that Catalina has issues and I am not a fan of that OS either. I had several crashes yesterday and the day before as well. I just had had enough of waiting around on apple to fix these issues. Best of luck to all of you guys giving this thing a real shot. I may try another one at some point later on when apple hopefully irons out the issues.
Oh no. Sorry to hear that. It’s embarrassing. I had to work my wife to get this Mac Pro as an investment. And now I don’t know what to do. Do I return it and keep the money in an untouched account? Save more to get the 28 core and the extra third party ran for when they fix it? And how will I know for sure it’s fixed?
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oh no. Sorry to hear that. It’s embarrassing. I had to work my wife to get this Mac Pro as an investment. And now I don’t know what to do. Do I return it and keep the money in an untouched account? Save more to get the 28 core and the extra third party ran for when they fix it? And how will I know for sure it’s fixed?

I hear ya man, I am very disappointed as well. I was really wanting this thing to be killer, I will use my other system until things are sorted out and solid with the Mac Pro. If you wanna chat on the phone send me a Pm with your tele and we can talk further on this topic.

Best to you
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search