The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2020 Mac Pro Owners Thread
Old 1 week ago
  #271
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud van slipper View Post
But shelling out the better part of 10k you want the machine to work - with full aplomb !
Frankly, I'm getting tired of hearing this argument with regards to Apple products.

A high price tag doesn't guarantee 100% flawless perfect performance, because 100% flawless perfect performance is impossible. Not only that, but small bugs hindering operation does not mean the 10k was poorly spent, or that Apple is a mean greedy corporation that wants to steal your money and force you to use a mediocre product. They want to make great products, and they want users to be happy.

Guess what? $500,000 legendary mixing consoles have lots of problems all the time. Where are the posts lambasting those? How about we talk about the FANTASTIC (sarcasm) UI of the SSL recall computer? We don't, do we? Because we seem to understand that those drawbacks in design just come with the territory of owning the tools we need to do our work.

We have this weird reverence for certain equipment that might make us pull our hair out far more than any Apple computer might. But this culture of criticizing tech companies endlessly is just in vogue right now, so here we are.

Your Mac quite literally acts as your console, tape machine, outboard gear, and all your instruments, all in one box. Think about the hours and hours and hours of troubleshooting and maintenance ALL of those pieces of gear in a traditional studio would usually require. You could troubleshoot 10x the number of problems a new Mac Pro might have on just one of those categories in a traditional studio. We need to put things into perspective a little more and remind ourselves what fantastic tools we have at our disposal now.
Old 1 week ago
  #272
Gear Head
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJoe View Post
Frankly, I'm getting tired of hearing this argument with regards to Apple products.

w.
I get your point Matty and I agree to a level.

But having spent the last year fighting a technical glitch which had no effect on my previous system, I’m a little scarred by the “Apple are Gods• message.

I do agree they make great product (hence my outlay) but I also think they can be quite slack in remedying problems which they create in their constant quest to update and sell you more stuff. It’s an ecosystem after all.

But anyhow- before we get into this tittle tattle I’m back to work on my Mac mini (regardless of the constant glitches and wireless mouse and keyboard that continually disconnect )
Old 1 week ago
  #273
Here for the gear
 

It's good to know not everyone has this problem at least.

I can't do it on my mbp 2013 (El Capitan).

This is a software problem for sure or some incompatibility. All I have to to do is open up a new project, import around 15 apple loops to new tracks, select all and drag/copy. The duplicate regions will take around 3 seconds to appear in the screen and dragging everything takes a lot of time.

This is completely unacceptable.
Old 1 week ago
  #274
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I’m not having that problem with my 16 core.

I’m only using one 4K monitor though.
Are you on version 10.5.1 or you've updated already?
Old 1 week ago
  #275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lud van slipper View Post
Holly moley .

This really worries me.
Big part of the reason I’m moving up the food change from a suped up 2018 mini was because of ongoing graphics lag .

I found the tactile experience of using logic with sluggish graphics response to be a real issue the last year or so - I was sure this machine was the answer.

If not I might have to rethink this.

Wonder what the variable is that’s making this happen ??
I use Logic with a Mini and have no graphic issues with it just using the standard built in graphics. I’m not sure how much ram you have but it was confirmed that on the Mini the ram helps support any heavy graphics requirements. For me that’s most busy websites with lots graphics and pics. But anyway I went with 32GB of ram. The recommended minimum is 16GB.

Sorry off topic.

Ps 16-32GB of ram sounds so pitiful in comparison to what you Mac Pro dudes are putting in your machines.
Old 1 week ago
  #276
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
Are you on version 10.5.1 or you've updated already?
Logic?
I'm on 10.4.8 running Catalina 10.15.3.
Old 1 week ago
  #277
Here for the gear
 

Oh I misspelled the OS version on the previous post. I'm still on Catalina 10.15.1, will make a ccc backup later and download the combo for 10.15.3 hoping that this gets fixed.
Old 1 week ago
  #278
Lives for gear
 
basehead617's Avatar
Latest Catalina and Logic Pro X versions, no issues here on a single monitor.
Old 1 week ago
  #279
Here for the gear
 

Updated Catalina to 10.15.3 and still got the same problem
Old 1 week ago
  #280
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
Updated Catalina to 10.15.3 and still got the same problem
Is there an option in Logic to disable GPU acceleration?
Old 1 week ago
  #281
Lives for gear
 
octatonic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
Updated Catalina to 10.15.3 and still got the same problem
Make a video using some screen capture software and show us.
Old 1 week ago
  #282
Gear Maniac
 

Alert!

Long thunderbolt 3 cables avail! Didn’t know these were out!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y
Old 1 week ago
  #283
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Make a video using some screen capture software and show us.
Here it is: https://vimeo.com/391125255

Just a new project with 15 apple loops and copying stuff/zooming is already like this. Imagine my full work projects, either mixing or composition projects are a pain to zoom and copy stuff around.

I just realised that if I use only the 27'' screen the situation gets much better but still not as good as my old iMac or mbp. Isn't this Radeon Pro 580x suppose to handle a 4k and a 1440p?
Old 1 week ago
  #284
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
Here it is: https://vimeo.com/391125255

Just a new project with 15 apple loops and copying stuff/zooming is already like this. Imagine my full work projects, either mixing or composition projects are a pain to zoom and copy stuff around.

I just realised that if I use only the 27'' screen the situation gets much better but still not as good as my old iMac or mbp. Isn't this Radeon Pro 580x suppose to handle a 4k and a 1440p?
This is exactly the issue I'm having on my 16" MBP. I really don't think it has anything to do with the specs of your system and what the GPU is capable of. I think it's a plain old bug.

Was discussing this issue with other people having the same issue, and I recorded this screen cap while watching a YouTube video:

https://imgur.com/a/K7WibqY
Old 1 week ago
  #285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bigfeet View Post
16core/48ram/1gb SSD - New Samsung 32" 4k.

Went from a late 2008 cheese grater to 2012 27" imac. And now this monster.

I was stalled on updates all around. Now an updated OS, ProTools, Final Cut, etc. Just got PT and Apollo up and running.

Made a cart for the Mac Pro... I just grab the top handle to pull in & out and access everything. So far so good. Looking forward to Luna...
.
Looks nice... So u have the Slate monitor controller. I’m envious...
Old 1 week ago
  #286
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Looks nice... So u have the Slate monitor controller. I’m envious...
Thanks. Actually its the Audient Nero.
Old 6 days ago
  #287
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
This might be more of a Catalina question but has anyone successfully done a hack for the iTunes library thing? I'm not liking not having my audio or playlists on iTunes.
Old 3 days ago
  #288
Here for the gear
 

Power consumption

Hello everyone,

I am interested into buying a new Mac Pro for music production.
I will use it with a DAW software and many virtual instruments, which shall push the CPU to very high usage.
The configuration I'd get is the 16-core one with base RX 580 GPU, 2 TB SSD and 256GB of RAM and I'm looking for some power consumption details.
On Apple website are listed the 8-core and 28-core configurations only for power usage.

Could you please share the power consumption you get from yours on both normal usage and high CPU usage?
If you have Intel Power Gadget installed you can see them on the "Power" block.

Thanks in advance
Old 3 days ago
  #289
Gear Head
One year ago there were many reports about mac's with the T2 chip having audio dropout issues with USB2.0 audio interfaces.

Has this issue been solved?

If I google this topic, then the top results are one year old. I don't find any complaints anymore. So I guess it's safe to buy a USB2.0 audio interface?

I was looking at the Motu Ultralite MK4
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump