The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Storage options for new Mac Pro
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkerStreet View Post
Don't rely on backups to the same physical drive. In the case of a disk failure you're going to be hosed. RAID will buy you something in the sense that a single disk failure won't cause data loss, but in the case of damage to the computer, spilled coffee, fire, etc you gain nothing by backing up to an internal drive in the same box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectgroup View Post
B) Order an 8TB U.2 drive (i.e. Intel 8TB DC P4510 Internal SSD) pop it in a PCIE adapter and mirror to that automatically

I've read that the U.2 drives are less likely to fail. Any thoughts?
Do not ever backup a drive to itself. Ever. Ever. Ever.

So, if your system is on the internal drive, back it up to the PCIe drive, at least.

But, as Barker is saying, it really should be to a device that lives somewhere outside of the computer case. Your backup is less safe if it’s living in the same case as the drive you’re backing up.

The standard is to also have a backup that lives completely off-site. This is less common with most people, but something professionals like us definitely have to consider. If a fire burns down your workplace, all your work is now lost. Cloud backups are great for this, because they live on many different servers spread out in different locations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, in the IT world if I caught a system administrator backing up a drive to itself I'd fire them. Backing up to another drive in the same physical machine should only be a short-term solution until you get an external backup in place.

Get a cheap NAS and back up to that, or at very least an external USB drive and a long cable
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Zero information so far on spinner chassis for the nMP.

Yes, we all know about Promise Technology's preloaded chassis 'cause they announced compatibility back in May last year, IIRC, but I've been on the lookout for an empty-chassis solution for my 4 spinners.

External chassis / NAS not an option. These backup spinners belong in the tower; it's always been my M.O. and I rely on their capacity for all 1st-gen backups.

Haven't bought the 'puter yet; in research-and-saving mode. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search