The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading my Late 2013 Mac Pro Trashcan
Old 4 weeks ago
10 Core 3,0 Ghz

I upgraded from 6 Core to 10 Core for audio and video. I found the 10 Core with its quite high 3.0 GHz a very good balance for heavy plugin use. The upgrading process needs some skill. Took me around 45 minutes to do it carefully.

Ram won't make a difference from 32 GB up for audio in most cases. Doesn't speed up anything as most of it isn't used anyway.

So yeah, I would go for the 10 core. It's a fast machine!
Old 4 weeks ago
That’s what I said
Enjoy...,
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I’m thinking of buying a used 4 core trash can and upgrading to 10 core

What’s the most expensive thing that could go wrong with it, if it’s a dud? I’m worried about buying an old computer...an tossing up between this and a new mini 6 core
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikelets View Post

What’s the most expensive thing that could go wrong with it, if it’s a dud? I’m worried about buying an old computer...an tossing up between this and a new mini 6 core
If all u do is audio. The mini will likely be just fine. But if you do video as well, like I do, the mini is lacking. That's a well known thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

I would prefer the trash can. It's a Xeon server processor and the whole thing is built for 24/7 use without overheating. I trust this more than a Mini or Macbook.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahstlz View Post
I would prefer the trash can. It's a Xeon server processor and the whole thing is built for 24/7 use without overheating. I trust this more than a Mini or Macbook.
I’ve never known what the truth is with these.

On the one hand you have Apple saying ‘we painted ourselves into a thermal corner’ as well as countless reports of freezes and random restarts.

Then you have a bunch of other people saying they run cool and quiet at full load forever.

Who exactly is telling the truth!?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

On the one hand you have Apple saying ‘we painted ourselves into a thermal corner’ as well as countless reports of freezes and random restarts.

Then you have a bunch of other people saying they run cool and quiet at full load forever.

Might not be so much about someone lying. The question is in which situation does it behave which way? If I max out a Logic session with lots of audio and instruments and CPU heavy plugins, the fan rpm is at around 800 and very silent. CPU temparature as low as 70 C. That's some important indicators to me that this hardware is handling it all very well even in long sessions.

Maxing it out with video editing in Davinci Resolve the thing gets way hotter and louder, but still it never freezed even once. I can't tell you why it is. It's just my experience using this Mac for my work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

I’ve never heard that about the trashcan. I’ve been using mine daily since they were released. It’s never had a thermal issue, or any issue really. The only negatives I hear is about lack of internal pie slots, which I resolved with a thunderbolt Sonnet expansion box.

“TRUTH”???? Why would someone lie?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
just a video card issue though? seems that was more than 4 years ago and probably most that had issues have been repaired in the repair program.

i didn't read anything there about thermal issues or freezes.. just distorted video.
Old 3 weeks ago
I think I can explain this: thermal design in general was great, as the Mac runs really quiet even under full cpu load.
After all Apple thermal design decision was a disaster in regards of the development of the future architecture of high end computers (especially for video). At the time of develpment of the Mac Pro back in 2013 Apple didn't expect that power demand of graphic cards would increase so much. Todays graphic cards take about 300 Watt (increasing). So the thermal issues are mostly due to the gpus. So the theramal design was a dead end for future development. But it is great for what was in the machine
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Now I know what you mean. I've researched this before buying. Thing is: You won't notice with audio as the problem only occures with heavy load on the D500 and D700 graphics models. As I also do video editing I went for a used Mac Pro with the D500 that has already been repaired by Apple. That would be my recommendation if you also do video. For audio: Don't bother.

The CPUs of the 2013 Mac Pros never have any issues. These machines are really good. And: you can even use them quite well for mobile setups.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Obviously both, I’m lucky to be on the good side of that story, I’m thinking about upgrading and givin this machine a few more years. I have had mine since 2013 and still works great! I’m a composer, big template, many soft instruments, many plugins... maybe I’ll upgrade in a year or two...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Yeh I’m also very happy with the trash can from a technical standpoint ..

The down side is the UA Satellite, Thunderbay and PCIe expansion chassis on the floor next to it isn’t at all tidy!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search