The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subscription Plugin Services
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Addict

Subscription Plugin Services

A few years back, I got on the "automatic withdrawal " train with my car note and mortgage. For most , that's a given. Now , I currently have over 16 auto withdrawals coming out of my bank account every month, and almost half of them are Music Computer (DAW) related.
The "Subscription Services" for plugins is a hot ticket these days. For me, it started with Slate, and my most recent is the MEGA Bundle from Plugin Alliance.
To me, it is both good and bad. Good , because for the price of a Steak Dinner (per month)I can sort of get to know the good , the bad, and the funky pieces of plugin power I dig, without having to full out purchase them. Lets be real. Take for example, The MEGA BUNDLE. There is so much **** in that bundle I will never use!I actually started to " University Youtube" myself and the goal was to learn every single plugin, whether I thought it practical, or not. What a waste of time. Im not kidding. So many of these plugins, I tried so hard to make fit into my usage, only to finally say to myself, "My UAD, FabFilter, and Izotope plugs kick the **** out of this" I should admit , however, that there are some mighty mighty Brainworx plugs in the P.A MEGA Bundle, that I actually do love to use. But most of those, I had already fully purchased before I ran into said MEGA Bundle. So Im assuming, if I were to cancel that subscription , those would still be there??Hmm.
Well, I most assuredly am indeed going to cancel that $25/month bundle. The thing is, $25/ month isn't a lot. Its a pretty good deal. But we all know how this ends. $25 plus $25 plus $25 plus $25 plus....and on and on. Something has to give. As I said earlier, it can be a good thing if one were to have the subscription for a couple months, just to find out what exactly is usable.
I suppose another "good" thing about subscription plugs, is that there are actually some, like Izotope, that thru SPLICE, lets you "rent to own" which to me is just another way of saying Subscription Service. BUT....at least with Izotope, they let you bundle Neutron and Ozone together, for a very manageable monthly fee, and those particular 2 plugins are world renowned , extremely powerful, and best of all, USABLE plugins! That cost me $28 / month for 2 years, after which, I will own them. Yes , yes, they will be outdated by then, and overshadowed by their NEW versions, but Izotope/Splice allows for a discounted price to get you into the NEW versions, so see what I mean.....its a subscription service. It just keeps going.
A very bad thing Ive run into from time to time with Subscription Services is that some can be difficult to cancel, or quit. I still don't think I know exactly how to quit my SLATE bundle. I seem to recall that once I needed to cancel it , and RE subscribe to it ( I don't remember why). It seemed very shady. I seem to recall that there was some type of short window..like I had to wait until exactly 7 days before my subscription cycle ended to cancel it. If I missed that window, I had to wait until next month, and try again. Somebody please tell me Im remembering this correctly. Because it felt shady, and ****ty. Alas, I have kept my SLATE bundle all this time, because it does have some usability to me, and the DSP track count seems to be minimal.
My favorite, most used plugins are from UAD, WAVES, and FabFilter and are fully purchased. I don't even think those 3 even have a sub service. Waves might, but with them , I just buy them, as they are fairly cheap...until you begin paying for "Update Plans", but THAT is another can of worms.
So that's my 2 cents on Subscription Services. I love Izotope's service, and Im ditching the MEGA bundle, but not before I properly educate myself on the few plugs I think I may like. I think SLATE bundle is pretty good. I have more , but these are the only ones I feel are good examples of my diatribe here.
Be careful my friends. Take a good look at your bank statements and know exactly how many grabby hands are in your account. This subscription **** adds up.
Anyone have news on new subscription services out there? Ones you feel are worth the monthly tax? Please do tell.
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Addict

Slate

I just dropped my Slate subscription. I just don’t feel like it’s at the same level as UAD
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search