The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Frustration/Win7 laptop
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Focusrite Frustration/Win7 laptop

I recently bought a Focusrite Scarlette 6i6 (2nd Gen), finally got around to connecting it to a Win 7 (64 bit) Toshiba laptop - the intent is (or maybe WAS) to use then for saving song ideas, plus using the combo with REW for a (semi) portable room analyzer...

I followed the install directions EXACTLY; when I reached the INSTALL part, AVG free decided the USB driver portion was a VIRUS, and proceeded to SWALLOW it before I realized it had; I UN-installed (and re-installed/un-installed TWICE) before I gave up trying to get AVG to LEAVE IT ALONE; then found that Windows Defender reportedly did NOT treat the installer as a virus - so I un-installed AVG, rebooted, enabled Defender, updated it, rebooted AGAIN and re-installed the Focusrite stuff.

Made it to the point where they want you to "Connect the Scarlett" - when I turn the Scarlett ON, I get a blank Focusrite Control screen, saying only "NO HARDWARE FOUND" - This has happened with EVERY attempt to get it to work.
I've tried using the Focusrite driver (by disconnecting from the net) a couple times, and letting Microsoft install THEIR USB driver (also more than once), and when ANY USB driver actually shows up in Device Manager, it does so with a yellow flag next to it; clicking on THAT gets me a "Cannot connect/Code 10" message. Pulling up driver info, shows a code "000000A" - (since A is hex for 10, kinda makes sense)

I get the same results whether forcing install of the Focusrite driver OR allowing Microsoft to install THEIRS; I've tried 2 different NEW USB cables, 2 DIFFERENT USB ports, different order of install (just in case that was a typo), allowing or disabling the onboard Realtech sound, every "fix" a couple Google searches came up with including trying to remove the (NON-EXISTENT using Regedit search) "upper and lower filters", along with EVERYTHING I could find on Focusrite's site that's vaguely related to "no hardware found", "Code 10 error", etc;

So far, NOTHING WORKED. Early on I DNL the latest Win7 version update from Microsoft, that went without incident - about the ONLY thing I can think of I've NOT done (yet) is go back into Regedit and DELETE EVERY INSTANCE of "Focusrite" (there are several), and try starting AGAIN with a (hopefully) REAL BLANK SLATE...

Sooo, my plea - if you've "been there" (and aren't a complete sadist :=) I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions I've not yet tried; Sweetwater sound (the seller) has yet to call back, I talked to my rep yesterday afternoon and was told that their Tech Support's "about 2 days out" - I would like to move on, still have a LOT more to do studio-wise, hence the SOS... Steve
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Clean install of win7 on a new C drive.

Don't install avg.

Upon win7 install completion, disable defender's realtime tab.

Install interface driver

Install daw

Record.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Noodle, thanks for the kick in the butt; the only thing on your list that posed a problem was the first; I didn't HAVE a spare "new drive", so instead, I

1. Backed up registry
2. AVG already un-installed, but left remnants (a LOT), so
3. Regedit, search/destroy all ref's to AVG, except where they meant "average"
4. Reboot, re-check - OK
5. Un-install Focusrite stuff, reboot
6. Regedit, remove all Focusrite leftovers (there were several), reboot/re-check registry - OK
7. Disable MS Defender's Realtime, reboot and re-check (yeah, by now I'm paranoid :=)
8. Disconnect LAN, install Focusrite mix/usb driver, re-enable Defender, reboot
9. Power up the 6i6........

Again, thanks for the shove; I'm always a bit leary of Regedit if it's been awhile; but so far, I've always been careful enough I haven't lost any body parts ... Steve
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search