The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading gear: RME BFP FS, Arturia Audiofuse or new Motu M4?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Upgrading gear: RME BFP FS, Arturia Audiofuse or new Motu M4?

I'm searching for a new fully featured audio device, my current device is a Focusrite 2i2. I'd want to use this for music production, mainly guitar with pedals direct in, and synth ambient recording, some routing (delay and reverb pedals in send-return), looping and automation through midi clock. Here and there will be used for recording friends songs (mics here are required). I'm struggling within this three choices:
RME Babyface Pro FS: the updated version with improvements, it will be the obvious choice for quality, reliability, great drivers, DSP, top of the line RTL. Two (maybe 2.5) downsides here: the price; the tabletop interface with a clutter of cables going all around and not many physical controls; complexity of the software that comes with it (totalmix fx, I know it's a great software/DSP, but coming from basic devices like mine I think I have to expect a steep learning curve).
Arturia Audiofuse: this thing is on paper very impressive, but I don't know how it performs in practice. Many things are appealing (great connectivity, many inputs and outputs, good 76db gain on mic inputs, the possibility of simple send-return effect loops with Y cable, turntable connections, great on board physical controls) but what make me think are 3 things: the quality of drivers, the RTL and the flimsy micro USB connection on the back, that is 2.0 (and it's not the same quality as RME one).
Motu M4. From what I read online and from the only Youtube review that is comprehensive (the M2 review by Podcastage), I think that this thing is a steal for the price, the little monitor with the levels, independent 48v phantom per channel, midi i/o, 32bit floating. But on the official site there is no mention of what type of USB the device is using. It says "usb c" or "connection through usb", but no mention of the class of this connection. Usb C can be anything from 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 and thunderbolt3. And, being a only-bus-powered device, I think that it can't be stressed too much with tracks and Vst plugins.

Is there anyone that — having tried one or more of these devices — can help me, giving me some hints, or maybe correct me if I'm wrong in some of the above considerations? (I was considering also Audient ID22 and Arturia Audiofuse 8pre, but the lack of MIDI I/O set me apart. Another honorable mention for Clarett 8pre, but the 48v Phantom Power on either 1-4 and 5-8 it's not ideal for me that sometimes I'm a bit inattentive).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

RME. The choice is obvious by the reason you've already mentioned. You'll never regret the price paid.

TotalMix is simple and clean, who said it is complicated? The guys that can't tell XLR from TRS connector?

Desktop and cables...well, it is as it is, you wont get desktop without cables if you want some I/O besides headphones ))
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The lack of MIDI I/O on an otherwise full featured audio interface shouldn't be an issue. It would likely only have 1 MIDI I/O anyways. You can purchase a number of 2x2 or 4x4 midi boxes for almost nothing. The dedicated boxes usually perform better as well.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
The lack of MIDI I/O on an otherwise full featured audio interface shouldn't be an issue. It would likely only have 1 MIDI I/O anyways. You can purchase a number of 2x2 or 4x4 midi boxes for almost nothing. The dedicated boxes usually perform better as well.
For additional ports I've spotted the ESI M4U eX, that also has an USB midi hub, for 149€, I think it's a good choice.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

One thing I don't understand clearly. How can I route - if this is even possible - an external physical effect (with BFP in Totalmix FX) as a send, after the daw. How do I physically connect a pedal or rack effect (or a series of them) and how I have to arrange the various routing things in Totalmix FX? Say I want to have a send return loop after the Daw, it's possible to do?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

A revision of the Audiofuse is on its way. Version one had some issues. V2 would be my pick of the three you named for recording. The RME for VST instruments. And the M4 if you are on a budget.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

RME is the best of those. The MOTU is cheap and sounds very good but the drivers can’t match RME in Windows.

The Audiofuse sucks. It’s fragile Chinese-made junk with awful drivers that should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other two.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
A revision of the Audiofuse is on its way. Version one had some issues. V2 would be my pick of the three you named for recording. The RME for VST instruments. And the M4 if you are on a budget.
Do you have confirmation of a new Audiofuse coming? I've not seen any rumors about this, but I've think being Namm2020 in January, and to consolidate the series with the other 2 new interfaces (8pre and Studio), maybe will be presented a revision of the Audiofuse... Now I don't know what to do... wait with the 2i2, buy the BFP, or... I'm more confused than before
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliprd View Post
Do you have confirmation of a new Audiofuse coming? I've not seen any rumors about this, but I've think being Namm2020 in January, and to consolidate the series with the other 2 new interfaces (8pre and Studio), maybe will be presented a revision of the Audiofuse... Now I don't know what to do... wait with the 2i2, buy the BFP, or... I'm more confused than before
Yes, a revision is on the way. You will find a vendor listing it if you google it. If you are on PC RME is always a safe bet.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Yes, a revision is on the way. You will find a vendor listing it if you google it. If you are on PC RME is always a safe bet.
I use Windows 10 when in studio, on a good specced mid tower PC and OSX on a 2016 MBP when moving. So no single OS here...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use Windows 10 when in studio, on a good specced mid tower PC and OSX on a 2016 MBP when moving. So no single OS here...
Think you should wait for reliable reports and test the interfaces yourself. On the new 2016 MBPro, you should consider any of the new TB 3 Apollo Twins for reliability. Especially when you are on the road. You never can know when the T2 chip on your MBPro will go mad.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Go RME 100% then if budget allows. It’s the only stuff that’s super stable with low RTL on both Windows and Macs over USB.

MOTU is solid on Windows but runs better on Macs. It costs a lot less for the M4 so you might be able to allocate your budget to other things if it works for you. The sound is excellent.
Old 20 hours ago
Here for the gear

I've looked over Audient stuff (id22) but don't have any news on how new drivers perform. Also for me it's important to have pristine sound with no "coloring" when plugging my guitar with pedalboard direct in the device (I can't mic any type of real guitar amp). Clean guitar it's most used, with rare use of fuzz and overdrives. The only thing that holds me back from push the trigger on the BFP is the limited connectivity, since I'm planning to connect more than one analog synths (op-1/some volcas/monologue and others in the future)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search