The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ni kontakt 5 - cpu spikes - issues - clicks - note truncation - fixed !!!
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Ni kontakt 5 - cpu spikes - issues - clicks - note truncation - fixed !!!

Hi All - Hope this finds you all well.

If any of you are suffering from CPU Spikes - Digital Clicks - Notes not playing or cutting off etc - when using KONTAKT 5 and instruments such as The Grandeur Piano etc ...even though your sample / Kontakt library is on a super fast external SSD ... Read On ... I have found a fix !

I recently posted about an issue I had with KONTAKT 5 in Pro Tools 2019.5 (also in Cubase 10 Pro) on my machine (spec outlined below) ... the problem was that I was running my Komplete 11 (Ultimate) library (over 360 Gig) on an external Samsung 500 gig SSD - which I thought would be plenty fast enough to cope with drive / sample access times... However, I've been going crazy and starting to think that my Komplete 11 bundle was almost un-useable - because every instrument seemed to be causing some form of CPU Spike & playback issue - both in Real-Time when recording using any of the NI Instruments within KONTAKT such as The Grandeur for example - but also on Playback when Mixing ... Basically - I was getting CPU spikes, clicks and notes cutting off / truncating consistently regardless of what was being used with KONTAKT 5 !!!...

Anyway - I started to rummage and finally found a couple of articles relating to a similar problem. The good news is that there is a super easy FIX....

I initially thought that using a Samsung external 500 Gig SSD for my Komplete 11 Library would be the way forward ... i.e. - I'd have a discrete portable and super fast external drive that would house my library and I would have no problems with sample / drive access times ! But wait - Hold the front page ... It turns out that some external SSD's including the Samsung that I have been using is formatted to exFAT by default - and therein lies the problem ... If you want glitch free and spike free playback from KONTAKT 5 ... then if you're OS is High Sierra & Above / Later ... then your SSD supporting your KONTAKT Library should be Formatted to APFS - If you're on Sierra (like me - too scared to change) then you need to Format your External SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) ...

If you already have your KONTAKT Library installed on an External SSD that is formatted to exFAT ... then simply copy the content to another drive and reformat your SSD to the either APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as mentioned above .... NOTE - If you ensure that you NAME your newly Formatted drive to EXACTLY the SAME NAME as it was before for example :

Old Name was : 'NI Content'
New Name is : 'NI Content'

The file paths and directories should be the same and you shouldn't have any hassles with redirecting file paths within KONTAKT itself...

Anyway - this worked for me and my relationship with KONTAKT is getting back on track !

Hope this helps anybody who is having the hassles I was going through trying to resolve this.

Many Thanks & Kindest Regards

Mike Spink
www.2busproductions.com

iMac - Quad Core i7 - 4.2GHz with 32 Gig Ram
Pro Tools 2019.5
OS - Sierra 10.12.6
Antelope Orion - 32+ (Thunderbolt) - Interface
Burl B32 Vancouver
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search