The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do different audio interfaces noticeably color the sound on playback
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Do different audio interfaces noticeably color the sound on playback

Do different audio interfaces in the same price range noticeably color the sound on playback (I am particularly interested in the interfaces in the $100-200 range)?

-I am not asking do their mic pre-amps color the sound differently, because I know that is often the case, but rather is normal playback of music or of mixes using VST instruments also noticeably colored differently on some interfaces – for example, do some interfaces sound warmer, or colder, or mid-scooped, or mid-forward, or bright and trebly?

In the first customer review on the following page -- https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
, I read a person saying that, for example, Scarlett 2i2 has a very biased V-shaped sound, while the sound of Roland Rubix is uncolored and suited for monitoring -- although I am not completely certain did he mean that the sound on the interface’s output is colored or that the recordings made on them are colored.

What was your experience in this regard? Did you switch between different interfaces in the same price category, and did you notice that they colored music differently on normal playback?
-If that is the case, can you tell me in which way different interfaces you used colored the sound, especially in the case that they are in the $100-200 category.

I would like to know this since I am at the moment considering to buy Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 2nd Gen (because of particular outputs it has, both the balanced TRS and unbalanced RCA) or Behringer UMC404HD, and I wouldn’t want to get Scarlett if it really applies something like a smiley-face EQ coloration on any music it plays on the output, as the customer review I linked to above may have suggested.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bump.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Don’t know in this price range but I had a much better playback quality when I upgraded my saffire to a clarett.
Much much better...

edit : on the saffire, I had a kind of veil on the sound, it was a mix of blurry and aggressive. I never noticed that before upgrading... The clarett is much more clear and punchy, but also much more pleasant sounding. And - I guess - much more transparent...

So yes, there is definitely different qualities of audio playback according to the sound card...
But I don't know how the new scarlett is sounding, so it may be better than the saffire...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I "noticed" music sounds clearly better played through A&H Zedi-10 than it sounds with 150e sound card. Can't really tell how but some kind of magic is at work. So I would say yes, they can change the sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search