The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Compressors Do You Struggle With?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

What Compressors Do You Struggle With?

I really struggle to get a good sound out of the Millennia TCL2 and Tube-Tech CL1B even when it's 2-3dB reduction on a 2:1 ratio, with various attack and release times.

This is on the mix bus.
I get better results with the CL1B on individual tracks. The Millennia is just as bad on individual tracks.

I always hear the compressors working.

The only thing I can think of is that the Millennia does not have any read outs for when you move the settings, just like an outboard comp. And the CL1B just gives you arbitrary numbers for the attack and release times, so again, you're setting it by ear.

All the other comps I have, tell me the times/settings when I move them.

Does any one else have similar issues on same/other comps where no matter what you do, it sounds ****?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I find that with the Millennia TCL2 it is better to hear the action instead of looking at the numbers of the attack and release.

Try this for the mix buss. First set the threshold high to compress 4 to 5 db or more, attack and release at minimum. Ratio 4:1

Then adjust the attack to free the initial transients so the sound becomes more articulated.

Then adjust the release until the compressor pumps with the rythm of the song, the gain reduction should fall near zero before it starts compressing again.

Finally, lower the threshold until you almost don't hear it, but feel it is there. Sometimes a gain reduction lower tan 1 db is enough.

Ratio 4:1 initally, then lower if you feel the compressor grabs too much.

Sorry if I can't be more specific.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
You sir, need a Retro STA Level, virtually impossible to make it sound bad - 99% of the time it sounds stunning!

I agree with the above post, the compressor on my Millennia STT-1 I just use my ears and ignore the meter.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
I really struggle to get a good sound out of the Millennia TCL2 and Tube-Tech CL1B even when it's 2-3dB reduction on a 2:1 ratio, with various attack and release times.

This is on the mix bus.
I get better results with the CL1B on individual tracks. The Millennia is just as bad on individual tracks.

I always hear the compressors working.

The only thing I can think of is that the Millennia does not have any read outs for when you move the settings, just like an outboard comp. And the CL1B just gives you arbitrary numbers for the attack and release times, so again, you're setting it by ear.

All the other comps I have, tell me the times/settings when I move them.

Does any one else have similar issues on same/other comps where no matter what you do, it sounds ****?
No idea about the Millennia, but the i have every version of CL1b, analog and digital, and i can tell you something, the CL1b is absolute crap in everything that is not: voice, bass, "earthy" acoustic guitar and some synths, but it's absolutely brilliant on those.
Can't really explain why, but it simply isn't for everything.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search