The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Ensemble vs. MOTU AVB vs. Presonus Quantum
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Apogee Ensemble vs. MOTU AVB vs. Presonus Quantum

Of these three Thunderbolt interface options, which represents the best bang-for-buck strictly in terms of audio quality? Are there any of the three that you would rule out on that basis? Thinking mostly in terms of conversion, but quality of each range's built-in preamps is also relevant.

For those who have used the Quantum boxes, does the lack of a dedicated cue mix app with direct hardware monitoring (and resulting reliance on low buffer sizes for low-latency monitoring) ever impede your workflow?

Last edited by nightchef; 1 week ago at 05:50 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Giving this a bump, as I'm still struggling with this decision. I'm reading a lot of good things about the MOTU AVB interfaces in terms of audio quality, but also reading some bad things about the browser-based control app. I like the re-amping features on the Apogee, the front panel controls seem well thought out, and the mic pres have impressive gain, but otherwise it seems comparable in features to the Quantum 2632 or MOTU 1248, for quite a bit more money. Does it also sound a lot better?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Apogee has by far the best pres. The MOTU pres are still decent and the ad/da between MOTU and Apogee is comparable but differs in tone. MOTU is the most expandable and very solid. I’d go Apogee for the better pres and no web browser drivers.

The Presonus Quantum sound sucks. The drivers are fast but the sound sucks just like every other Presonus interface. People will defend it because it actually works and they like playing DI guitars or synths through it and can track easily with native plugins but the actual sound quality is only a few steps up from Behringer. It’s another bad Chinese made audio product. Apogee and MOTU are made in the USA and light years ahead of it for sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

OK. I don't care much where it's made -- all things being equal, I always prefer to buy local, but all things are seldom equal. But if the sound quality has been oversold, that matters.

Curious what others think.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...face-shoot-out

Be the judge and listen to the audio ex in the test.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...face-shoot-out

Be the judge and listen to the audio ex in the test.
Yeah, it's interesting. I didn't hear much to choose between on the guitar samples. On the vocal and particularly the spoken word, the Apogee seemed audibly more transparent. But it's hard to tell how much of that is the preamp and how much the converters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search