The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor Bussing in PT LE DAW Software
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

Monitor Bussing in PT LE

I admit that I'm anything but a master at Pro Tools, but I'm wondering how folks on PTLE deal with monitoring issues with tracking.

Specifically, how can I set up a session so that I can solo tracks and not have it f*ck up everything else that is coming out of the box- ie a stereo mix out, studio cue outs, etc... Seems that solo is only destructive in that it is reflected everywhere. If I hit solo while recording, it sends that signal to the stereo out and often disrupts what is going to the control room out an aux.

I've tried a couple variations of solo safe on varioius channels and that just seems to disable soloing period. I'm using a combination of 002R and M-Powered systems here. I think we're eventually going to get an HD system, but that probably won't be for several more months.

Thanks!

--Ben
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I think we're eventually going to get an HD system, but that probably won't be for several more months.

Thanks!

--Ben
Just remember: Learn what mute and solo buttons do......than get HD........
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

OK Smarta$s... Do I need to be clearer?

The 2 main DAWs that I've worked with are Sequoia and Pyramix. Both of these programs have dedicated monitor busses in them so you can set up a mix and then monitor without disrupting the rest of what is going on in the box. When I sat in on a session that was being run on an Icon, the PT op did this on an HD system. I know what a mute and solo is, but my question is how to seperate the monitor bus that is going into the control room from everything else in the session- just like what you get when working on a stand-alone console (analog or digital).

As for the comment about getting HD- I happen to be working at a facility that is exclusively PT based. There is an expansion that is being built right now and I believe the new room will have an HD system in it. I'm pretty damn good at other DAWs, but I'm finally getting around to learning PT- not by choice, but by necessity. That being said, I'd like to be able to do these few things down so that I can get better at the other stuff...

--Ben
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry for being a smartass.
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

What exactly are you trying to do?

I think that compared to Sequoia and PT HD, PT LE is indeed very limited.

Only thing that I can think of is to make a seperate mix on the aux sends where you put everything pre-fader, then soloing doesn't have effect on that. (I thought LE also had the copy mix to aux function, though not sure, this way it's fairly easy to setup 2 identical balances.)
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

What you can do is set up sends on each track, then route those sends to one of your analog outs on your 002r.

I'm currently using all 8 analog outputs on my 002 for 4 independant stereo headphone mixes. So, each track in PT has four sends to stereo buses, which gets fed out (Analog1&2, Analog3&4, Analog5&6, Analog7&8) to the headphones in my tracking room (I use a Mackie HM-54 for this.) I'm monitoring via SPDIF. So, I can adjust the level of each instrument in each person's headphone mix, solo, mute, etc. without it affecting the main monitor mix.

Just so you know, there are no seperate routing options between Analog1&2 outs (labeled MainL1/MainR2 on the back of the 002r unit,) the "Mon Outputs," or the "Alt Main Unbal" outputs. That is, they will always be outputing the same thing. So you couldn't, say, use Analog 1-8 for headphone sends, then use the Monitor Outs for your monitoring (unless you were willing to share your monitor mix with headphone user 1.) Your only assignable outs in Pro Tools are Analog 1-8, ADAT 1-8, and SPDIF.

Hope that helped!
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
What you can do is set up sends on each track, then route those sends to one of your analog outs on your 002r.
That's basically the answer, but I wanted to add that I usually group two or more "related" tracks together, so that soloing/muting one will solo/mute the other members of the group. For example, an audio track and an aux running a reverb or a comp. This won't work so easily if you're busing more than one audio track to the aux running the effect, so in this case, it's easier to just solo-safe the aux.

Also, fader moves and send level moves are echoed through the group. And, of course, all/parts of these behaviors can be toggled in the Preferences.

Grouping is a great feature in PT. I recommend that you read up on it when you get a chance.

Best,
++aldo
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
What exactly are you trying to do?

I think that compared to Sequoia and PT HD, PT LE is indeed very limited.
I agree that PT LE is pretty limited, however it is in daily use (pretty much) for me so I need to use it.

The biggest monitoring issue that I have is this: I need to mirror the mix to a digital out so that I can pump out a client ref of concerts that I record. I usually send all the tracks to an aux input and then from there monitor out 1-2. On the aux master, I send out to the SPDIF out which is attached to a 2-track recorder. Either that or I'll set up an aux send on each track at unity (post fader) doing pretty much the same thing.

Problem here is if I need to solo anything during the concert, it screws up the 2-track recording. So I need a post fade solo-safe output (like a record out on a mixing console).

The session situations on location are a bit easier to deal with... Setting up auxes are easy enough for multiple headphone sends (ie click, prerecords, etc...), but my concern is that the lack of a dedicated monitor bus (I know that the monitor out isn't really a seperate out). If I say wanted to solo a track in the playback, how would that affect what the folks in the tracking room are hearing- even if set up as a pre-fade send?

Thanks for the tips- I use groups when mixing live (I'll set them up before the show usually and use them for mixing my 2-track on location). I haven't brought a console out for a major recording session in at least 2 years.

Also, for the really big gigs, I'll usually bring my Sequoia rig out, but it is a lot larger so I've been opting for the laptop rig for much of my work (especially for the archival work). I'm still doing most of my post in Sequoia, but as I get better at Pro Tools, I'd like to be starting projects in the field and finishing and tweaking them at home. Also, one of the places I work has 2 venues now that record via PT, but in September will have something like 4 or 5 total rooms running PT. So as much as I like my Sequoia rigs, I need to do work with other DAWs as well.

One of my summer projects is to spend more time in front of the PT system to get better at it.

Thanks for the help everybody.

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search