The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PCI-e Sound Card and SS8IO3 Compatibility
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
PCI-e Sound Card and SS8IO3 Compatibility

I have an old Mixtreme 192 sound card, plus 2x Soundscape SS8IO3 converters.
The Mixtreme card became obsolete after I upgraded my PC and installed Windows 64-bit a while ago, so I've been using an EMU 0404 meantime, which has been fine, since I've only been recording by myself.

I want to record drums again, so can anyone tell me if I buy a PCI-e card, are there any that are compatible with these SS8IO3s?
Just trying to save a few bob if I can.

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Unfortunately it's really obsolete unbalanced converter with TDIF. Currently there are no contemporary PCIe cards for direct interfacing of TDIF (which has its heyday in '90s with TASCAM DA88 machines). You could still find some digital-digital converters to more common ADAT optical, like RME ADI-8 DD or ADI-192 DD, but you'd need another card for ADAT then. Or there are complete recording systems (eg. PCIe card with external box) with TDIF, like some legacy MOTUs.. but it's IMO those old unbalanced 20 bit converters are not worth of salvaging with another investment.

I'd probably think about something more contemporary.. one of best for very limited budget with such channel count is likely Behringer stuff. Like UMC 1820 combined with ADA-8200 for straight recording or probably even better can be rackmounted digital mixer Air XR18, which can give you both low latency digital mixer and USB recording interface.
Of course there are some other options, especially if you find something at used market.

Michal
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Hey thanks a lot for this!
Actually, it's time I treated myself to a new live desk aswell for gigs. I really want an A&H QU16, they use them in a few venues where I play, they're great desks.
So, looking at the idea with the XR18, maybe I might invest in 1 good tool to do both jobs.
The only drawback I can see, is that the QU's USB sample rate is 48k and most of what I have recorded is at 96k. I guess I could convert them to 48k, or maybe look at the Yamaha 01V96i?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Hi,

if you will be picking also desk for live use, then there can be many additional attributes for its choice.
You're true, that most of affordable digital desks are limited to 48k, some works only at 48k (eg. there isn't choice to operate at 44.1k). Only few ones can work at 96k and vendors usually save that for more expensive higher ranges of their mixers with more powerful internal DSPs (plus usually also another range of related accessories like stage boxes with 96k operation).
As you've mentioned, QU is fixed to 48k, higher AH SQ range is fixed to 96k (but can downsample at AES digital output). Among others Soundcraft Si and Yamaha TF range are also fixed to 48k. Behringer X series and newer Presonus Studio live are switchable between 44.1 and 48k.
Zoom has new range of cheap LiveTrack mixers, which can directly record at 96k to USB drive, but its USB audio interface is limited to 48k.. however I've never personally seen those in practice (and can't comment its other attributes).

Mentioned Yamaha 01v96i is kind of unicorn nowadays, because it was released for both studio and generic/live use, so it supports operation at all common sample rates up to 96k (with some restrictions, like two internal effect units instead of four at higher rates). Also it has DAW remote layer, where you can control supported DAW with its faders and some other knobs.
It's direct descendant of their digital lineup from 90's (01, 02, 03V) and they're making those for more than decade.
That can be also its con for someone, because its control can feel bit dated, although lot of functionality is there.
Monochromatic LCD, lot of small fiddly buttons. No touch sensitive faders. Remote control application with super small UI (likely optimized for common screen resolutions in 2001) just from computer, where you can prepare scenes.. No wireless network access for direct tablet control, which can be super handy at smaller live gigs, where you can go around room and remotely adjust sound.
Also compared to most of recent live mixers, there's no built-in USB player/recorder. Again, that's not really something usable for studio, but as you're musician, then for instance at small gigs, you can easily play over some backing tracks from there.. or record complete mix from some gigs (and then argue with your mates at next rehearsal ).
So not that it's bad, it has lot of features, but it simply shows its age and slightly different product targeting than for live mixers.

So there are quite a few things to consider.. 96k support can be one of them, but so can be also some generic control philosophy for particular mixer, included effects, remote control etc.
Before any purchase, I definitely recommend to spend some time with hands-on control of particular mixer, if you have that chance (friends, local venue, some retailer). Also folks over live sound section of GS can be likely very helpful and making thread there can answer some particular questions.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 1 week ago at 11:33 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Jeez, I could get so lost here, thanks for all the info!
Maybe I'll be better off to keep em separate in that case, much as I'd love an SQ5, it's a bit out of my reach just now.
The Behringer U-Phoria looks pretty amazing for the money! I've youtubed it about it a lot, also the PreSonus 18/24, which is pretty much the same thing, just more high end I guess, but the reviews for the Behringer all seem so positive.
I need 9 channels to record my drum kit, so just 1 unit should do just fine if I use a stand alone mic pre-amp and run it into one of the line inputs to get the 9th.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
You're welcome.
I'd only add, that both U-Phoria 1820 and Presonus 1824 has exactly 8 analogue inputs, the other connectors are either outputs or digital.
You can't fit there 9 inputs, except you'd have some suitable additional preamp with own A/D converter. And even then, there are some restrictions in case of U-Phoria, because you can use analog hardware monitoring (for your cans) only for those analog inputs, digital inputs goes to only to DAW, but no to hardware monitoring.

Otherwise I recalled, in budget range, you can look also at Tascam US 16x08, which has 8 microphone inputs and 8 line level inputs in one 1U box. That will give you option to connect that mentioned external mic preamp for 9th channel and you'd still have some room for additional line level sources.
Plus there is basic digital mixer for low latency monitoring, whereas U-Phoria has just summed analog inputs and fist playback channel pair from DAW.
Basic mixer in sense, you can create one stereo custom mix from inputs with EQs, comps and polarity reversal.. which will be blended with playback outputs from your DAW (click, some backing tracks for overdubs).
If you'll need something more elaborate (eg. independent mixes for more artists), you'd need some more expensive interface.

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search