The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee one and piano singing
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Apogee one and piano singing

Hello guys, I already got the duet 2 (not iOS) in my studio but I’m looking for a portable/quick alternative to compose and record songs.

I need to put away my irig as it doesn’t have a headphone jack (and i’m using an iPhone 8), I was using it with a LDP condenser.

I tried in the past the apogee MiC and didn’t find it special, now I was thinking about the BLACK apogee one has it is a good quality and sounding headphone amplifier plus it has an internal microphone.

For you who have it, how it is? I was planning on running it on AA nimh batteries and placing it on the sofa with guitar or on the piano sheet support and record quick demos with it, I know the mic is omnidirectional, but how would it be at 40cm of distance pointing the mouth while playing piano or keyboard? It is difficult to mount a regular mic near the piano without using a proper stand, and it isn’t so “quick” let’s say.

The only complaint is that I would also like to run my LOW-Z acoustic guitar pickup in it or my omnichord out, but bring it a 1/4 hi-z input, would I have a reduced quality or not? It has great pres and converters and I would like to be sure in retaining the quality even if using the jack input with non hi-z instruments.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

No one?
The only doubt is now rising is the known incompatibility with new iPads USB-C so that could be a problem in the future, and apogee isn't clear if a firmware could solve the issue or a new hardware is needed....
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Okay even if it is a monologue I want to add my feedback after getting the one and wanting to send it back:

The quality isn’t up to her sister (the duet 2 I have), the microphone isn’t great and being omnidirectional is really too much un-focused and you need to sing into it really closely, also it is a bit noisy.

I had some problems when using an external microphone, in fact in that mode the headphones cable became and antenna and I got radio into my recordings...

Also sometimes Digital noise kicks in when recording.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanx View Post
Hello guys, I already got the duet 2 (not iOS) in my studio but I’m looking for a portable/quick alternative to compose and record songs.

I need to put away my irig as it doesn’t have a headphone jack (and i’m using an iPhone 8), I was using it with a LDP condenser.

I tried in the past the apogee MiC and didn’t find it special, now I was thinking about the BLACK apogee one has it is a good quality and sounding headphone amplifier plus it has an internal microphone.
Thanks!
What about a Røde i-XY? It's a stereo small capsule condenser. I have one for recording gigs and rehearsals. However, you'll probably use it without the plastic clip holder that holds it firmly into the lightning socket. The holder covers the iPhone home button, which wasn't an issue before TouchID iPhones. Now, if you click the holder it won't activate the home screen.

Anyway, it's worth a try as you can have stereo capture pretty much like those Tascam handheld recorders in a small package. It doesn't have headphone amplifier, though.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmusician View Post
What about a Røde i-XY? It's a stereo small capsule condenser. I have one for recording gigs and rehearsals. However, you'll probably use it without the plastic clip holder that holds it firmly into the lightning socket. The holder covers the iPhone home button, which wasn't an issue before TouchID iPhones. Now, if you click the holder it won't activate the home screen.

Anyway, it's worth a try as you can have stereo capture pretty much like those Tascam handheld recorders in a small package. It doesn't have headphone amplifier, though.
Thanks for the help and suggestion, I’ll look into it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search