The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Phantom" Audio - Cannot Solve
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

"Phantom" Audio - Cannot Solve

I have been trying to diagnose an issue on my computer over the past three weeks regarding audio. At first, I thought it was my pcie soundcard that failed. Out of nowhere, I began to hear loud distortion, crackle and "sizzling sounds" or something that literally sounds like a fart haha at very high volumes. It seemed to coincide with the cpu drawing more power / high compute activity.

So I removed the soundcard and tested strictly the onboard audio. No more crazy loud noise but I could hear what sounds like a ground loop or electronic interference. I could "hear" my mouse moving, harddrives spinning, etc.. through the speakers.

After this I systematically began to remove parts trying to isolate issue.

Here is that rig setup:
Z170-A Motherboard

6700k CPU
980TI
16GB RAM

EVGA 750W PSU
Lynx E22 PCIE sound card.

After stripping all peripherals and devices out (except for RAM/CPU/MOBO) the issue still persisted with onboard audio. Strangely, through my testing the computer began to fail to boot. It would sometimes fail to POST and on some occasions when it did boot it would randomly turn off. Eventually it failed to POST at all. I brought it into a repair shop to see if they could diagnose the issue. They said the computer fine but then the next day, once again it failed to post at all.
They ruled that it must be a motherboard issue.

So now I've got a new motherboard/cpu. 3700x ryzen/570x gigabyte elite. I set everything up, turn on the computer and everything seemed fine until I installed realtek drivers. The computer restarts and the audio issue returns. The same issue. I plug my sound card in again, issue persistent on there as well.

Once again I can't seem to isolate or remove this issue on this setup no matter what I do. That includes having just the mobo/psu/cpu/ram with NOTHING plugged in except for my speakers. I even tried a new psu and still, the same issue persists. How could this issue return on almost entirely different hardware (the only thing that has remained is the gpu, ram and case). Another extreme oddity was that while testing last night A RADIO SIGNAL got picked up through my speaker cable while I halfway plugged it into the MOBO. Yes, the computer was completely off but by connecting the cable halfway into the mobo onboard audio I picked up some sort of radio signal, clear as day.

As some caveats it seems plugging my heaphones into the onboard audio doesn't present the signal noise. HOWEVER my speakers are not in a ground loop, everything is plugged into the same power strip. I've verified the speakers themselves are fine using a completely different audio source. The speakers are KRK Rokit 5 G4s.

Any help appreciated, I'm at a loss. My previous setup was working fine in the same environment for about 2 months before these issues started occurring.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On board audio can have problems with hf interference.
Computer PCU can give problems to.
Bad cables also and can even act as an antenna.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search