The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PC build using i5 9600k?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

PC build using i5 9600k?

Hello,
My nephew offered to build a computer for me, but I need help in choosing parts. The plan is to create educational contemporary blues guitar courses, so backing tracks (mostly VST instruments & live guitars) and some video editing. So should I make any changes like maybe the motherboard I chose is overkill – would it be wiser to go for a less expensive MB and use the money towards more ram or a graphic card?

Thanks!

Programs: Reaper, Sibelius & Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14, Kontakt 6 Player, UVI Workstation.
Plugins: Izotope & Waves
Audio interface: Focusrite 6i6
VSTS: NI scarbee bass, NI Studio Drummer, NI SCARBEE A-200, GSI-VB3 organ, Ircam Solo Instruments, VSL Flute.

This is what I’ve come up with so far:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($275.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO ($260.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz ($117.00)
Storage: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/ ($80.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD-3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM Drive ($65.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($30.00)
Case: Corsair - Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG_BK Eclipse P400S Silent Edition ($120.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold 550W, Fully Modular ($124.00)

Total: $1071.00 - $1231(with tax)

May buy a graphics card later on if needed (I believe the i5 has an integrated GC): MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti ($330.00)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a very similar system that I use for audio and some video editing.

I have the Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi (if you can get this for a similar price do it unless you plan on having no net connection at all on the system).
I have its built-in Wifi and Bluetooth on permanently and get way better latency than using a separate network card.

Keep this motherboard choice, it will future-proof you to a decent extent.
I'm also using an i5 but the 8600K, it's overclocked and it's grunt enough.
I also have the Vengeance LPX, but 24GB, couldn't fit 32Gb in because my Noctua cooler is ridiculously large.

So the basic grunt is the same, and I would recommend the following:

Yes you'll need a graphics card if you want to video edit painlessly.
More ram helps but you'll be better off with a gfx card and 16GB ram than you would be with 32GB ram and no card.
I have a modest card that performs well and was cheap second-hand, it's an Asus ROG Strix 1060.

You should take advantage of the Aorus' pci-e NVME slots. It's one of the few motherboards that allows you to fit two pci-e nvme drives without compromising the sata channel count.
I use SSDs for the OS and image libraries and two nvme drives, one for audio and one for video.
They can be had for decent prices now and you will get an appreciable boost in performance in both audio and video work.

I also have an internal 2TB sata III drive for backing up the other drives which in turn is dumped to an external backup.
I can confirm that on Windows 10, this is a very stable and efficient system.

Note: With the gfx card I would also raise the PSU rating to 750w.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

A fine list of parts.
A capture card maybe in the future.
My son uses one and a pricey camera for live streams.
Your start off point is fine, but might be wise to get a more powerful PSU for future proofing.
Your i5 is more powerful than my i7 4790k’s, and as fast.
I get plenty of work done and the GFX on the Intel CPUs is fine for most 2D work.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for responding so quickly, Quetz & Jim, especially with the rush of having to choose what to buy during Black Friday weekend. Btw, I was able to get the i5 9600k for $275 before it jumped up to $303 on Amazon.ca
Haven’t bought the motherboard yet so I’ll look into getting the wifi version. Graphics cards aren't cheap[$400 and up(cad)]so I will have a go with the onboard UHD Graphics 630 GPU. If rendering is too slow then I'll look into a GC - I'll be doing mostly low-level editing.
According to the Newegg power consumption calculator my choices add up to 440 +/- watts, including the GTX 1660ti(not buying that just yet). But you never know what the future holds like maybe switching to an i7 9700k etc…so I’ll look into a 650w – 750w psu. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Seems you can get a Ryzen 3700x for around 300 USD, that will have 8 cores and 16 threads. That's a lot more powerful and might be worth considering
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search