The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waveform "breaks" Focusrite 2i2
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Waveform "breaks" Focusrite 2i2

I've been having a very strange issue this week with my Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen. I'm home from univeristy for Thanksgiving, and I swear every time I move my laptop, focusrite, and usb hubs, something goes weird. Sometimes even non-music related.

So twice now, I've had recordings with strange clicks and pops. When I zoom in on the waveform, I find one of two problems: the waveform has briefly flat-lined, or (more commonly) the waveform has seemingly skipped ahead a few samples creating a weird break in the arc. I've attached pictures of both problems. The first screenshot actually illustrates both problems, with the flatline in the middle of the picture and the wave-skipping about 15 cycles before.

Running Widows 10 64 bit on an xps 15 laptop, Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen, 48khz and 512 buffer. First screenshot taken and recorded in Cubase Pro 10, second screenshot taken and recorded in Audacity.

As I mentioned, I often find gremlins when moving my setup to and from school. Some weekends I don't bring my Focusrite home with me and settle for the godawful built-in sound. As it's so rarely used, there tends to be weird issues with the built-in sound, and the Focusrite usually has some sort of issue when its put back in service. I'm no computer expert, so the idea of a computer getting "used to" something is probably ridiculous but the timing seems appropriate.

Anyway, if anyone knows what the hell this issue is and how to fix, I'd seriously appreciate it.

EDIT: I should also note this problem applies to playback as well. Watching videos in VLC and on YouTube that I know for a fact did not have any clicks or pops often have it even more frequently and louder than the recordings do.
Attached Thumbnails
Waveform "breaks" Focusrite 2i2-flat.jpg   Waveform "breaks" Focusrite 2i2-break.jpg  

Last edited by JohnnyBoyRawks; 1 week ago at 10:25 AM.. Reason: noticed new detail in my screenshot
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search