The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Mini 2018... necessary accessories??
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mac Mini 2018... necessary accessories??

Just placed my order - very excited!

To be honest, cheese greater still works great. It just too old to keep up with software, connectivity, compatibility, etc etc. Plus I do a lot of travelling, so this will be the perfect solution for working on the road.

However, I currently run 4 internal drives - 1 SSD in an Icy Dock, and 3 SATA drives. SSD is system drive (to be replaced by internal Mac Mini), 2 SATAs are my sample libraries, and the final one is the current project/media drive.

Whats the best approach to 1) get connectivity for these three drives (samples/media) to the Mac Mini, and 2) allow for future expansion of other drives etc?

Ultimately, I'd like to swap my Sample libraries onto SSDs. I suppose similarly my current media drives should all also be SSDs. But whats the best approach? Are external USB SSD portable drives good enough to handle these tasks? Or do I need to get some kind of docking bay for them (I already have one SATA docking bay that I currently use). I've seen a rack mount 4-bay docking thing for SSDs (@ £500 which is kind of dear but there you go).

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...magicmultidock

What do you guys think?! Thanks in advance!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks good to me, I'll be transitioning to Samsung T5 SSDs soon for my new Mini.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the 2018 Mini with the Blackmagic Multidock 10G.
It is seriously awesome- I could see myself getting another one.

This is my computer/audio interface/networking rack:

Another very useful device is the Sedna 13 port USB 3 hub.
It took me literally years to find a device like this.
I wish the USB3 to the computer was at the back and it was off IEC power rather than a wall wart but otherwise it is pretty good. I have two of these, another one in the main desk rack.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very nice, I'll be buying in the states so ill even get it a bit cheaper!

Anything else I'm missing/not thinking of?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search