The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converting sample rate without changing the BPM?
Old 2 weeks ago
Converting sample rate without changing the BPM?

Hello all,

Let me explain what I am trying to do. I have a singer that I want to send a Zoom r24 home with her so she can sing to a song I made. The song produced in FLstudio at 48k. I transferred the song to Zoom no problems except !!! The Zoom r24's FX only work in 44.1k. I tried converting the song to 44.1k but this slows it down quite a bit.

Is there a way to convert the sample rate and still maintain the same BPM?

ps I am trying to use the Zoom r24's FX so she can hear herself with some reverb and such(still also recording a dry channel)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What you're reporting doesn't make much sense to me, sample rate conversion won't alter length (and thus also tempo) of the source audio.
First try it at your DAW for some test and measure the length (in ms) of converted files.. both should match exactly.
If not then, there is some mistake in rate conversion proces.. assuming you'll export complete stereo audio out of FL and then convert this file to 44.1 somewhere.

Michal
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’ve experienced something related so I suppose it “can” happen.

If I’m mixing material at say 48k and then I pull up a reference mix using Windows Media Player it will speed up the song. I have to import the song into my session to prevent this. I have everything clocked to a Lucid so maybe that plays a big part.

In any event, PT has an SRC function on import. Used it once or twice. Can’t remember exactly how to do it off hand but there is a check box to convert to session sample rate when importing files. Start there. Good luck!
Old 2 weeks ago
Thanks guys I ended up using reaper to convert the files to 44.1 K. I do not know why FL studio would not do this correctly, I started thinking about it and it has worked before no problem, I must’ve done something wrong. The zoom r24 is very finicky about the file rate. I also had to use audacity to convert the reaper converted files. I am not that great with Reaper.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hi,
good, that you've been able to find out the problem.
Audacity is fine for resampling, it uses hiqh quality soxr library for that. However it's possible to process only one file at time AFAIK.
In Reaper you can resample quite easily, even multiple files using Batch File/Item Converter from file menu. Just open that dialog, drag multiple files from explorer there, set new rate and highest quality resample mode. Slightly intimidating can be output name selection, where it uses so called wildcards. It's simply set of variables for construction of new filename. If you put just $source there, it will have the same name as input file, typically you also append some additional variable, so for example $source - $samplerate will add 44100 to the name, which is handy if you use same directory for the output.

Finally if you would like simple and good sounding tool just for SRC, try free Voxengo r8brain. It can also process whole directories with wav files.
https://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search