The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
buying refurbished builds?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
buying refurbished builds?

My old 2700k is dying. I cant afford to build or buy something new. I could replace cpu, ram, mobo etc, hunting down errors, but that takes forever and can get expensive too.

I've seen refurbished Dell and Lenovo tower systems on Newegg for around $300 to $350. They're 3770s or 4770s, 16 GB Ram, full towers, onboard graphics (only need the basics, no gaming). I was thinking to clone my disk, buy a new W7 licence if I need it, and update drivers etc as needed.

What's the catch? CPU power would be not much difference I think, maybe better. Mine was overclocked to 3.5 but I freeze stuff anyway. Are they noisy? Unreliable for being refurbished?

Has anyone done this? I dont see much talk about it so I'm wondering if I'm missing something...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
No one's done this?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I've been buying refurbed workstations (old CAD stations?) from PC Server Parts on eBay, just built a HP Z600 Workstation 12-Core 3.06GHz X5675 48gb ram , 2x2tb sata drives and a video card for $410 shipped, I installed the OS.
I use a USB 2.0 interface, run Ableton and Nuendo. No issues.
I have one for the studio, I also I prefer to edit/get mixes together in my living room, have one there as well.
I've bought 3 over the years, no problem whatsoever with the units.
The studio has 2 SSD drives I bought elsewhere,
Old 1 week ago
eor
Gear Addict

ive picked a few things out of neweggs trash can before with great success. my main computer was somewhat comparable to a build i was going to put together at about a third of the price. a $130 laptop i bought at least five years ago is still working great. it was my tracking computer, then it became my daily driver while i kept this computer more for audio and video projects. got a decent desktop for my old man a last year and it has been trouble free. all hp and lenovo here.

the catch might be that win 7 support ends in january. and that they may not be upgradeable; space is super tight in mine, or they may already be spec'ed out as far as they can go. but mine haven't been any quirkier than any other windows machine i've used or put together.

one last ditch effort to stretch yours out would be a factory reset, if your hardware is still working.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Thanks guys, good to know! I'll pick up something soon - I saw great prices on Dell and Lenovo towers. I dont think the machines I'm lookng at could be overclocked, but I'm all right with a straight 4770. I just need something respectable whole I save up for a new build.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search