The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thunderbolt to Ethernet Work?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Thunderbolt to Ethernet Work?

Hi
Trying to get a thunderbolt cable from the mac to a UAD Apollo.
Need to go around 30 feet.
Anyone try a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor?
or have any suggestions on most cost effective way of doing this?
thanks for your help
Dave
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Hi
Trying to get a thunderbolt cable from the mac to a UAD Apollo.
Need to go around 30 feet.
Anyone try a thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor?
or have any suggestions on most cost effective way of doing this?
thanks for your help
Dave
I think, by "thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor" you actually mean Thunderbolt-to-twisted-pair-network-cable-adapter. Despite this pedantic correction the answer is sadly, *no* there is no adapter of the type that you want.

I would be delighted to rattle on and on about *why* this is, but since my life is better since taking my wife's advice to only answer what people ask, I'll wait for you to ask. The cost of the solutions is absolutely a showstopper, but here goes.

Your choices are:
- A Thunderbolt-2 optical cable through appropriate adapters
- A Thunderbolt-2 optical cable to a dock that's near the Apollo
- An analog snake and/or DI boxes to the Apollo
- Change to an AVB or Dante-capable interface

The most cost-effective option is the analog snake. If you can live with 4 channels per twisted-pair-network-cable run, then a solution like the one in this picture below might be a way forward.

[ Why are Cat5 "snakes" so expensive? ]
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I was told by a guy at the music store that I could get an adaptor (apple store) to go from Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 then into my UAD Apollo interface.
would this not work?
Thanks for your help
Dave
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I was told by a guy at the music store that I could get an adaptor (apple store) to go from Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 then into my UAD Apollo interface.
would this not work?
Thanks for your help
Dave
I *assumed* from your Thunderbolt-focused question that you had the Thunderbolt model of UAD Apollo. There are lots of Thunderbolt-to-USB adapters and plenty of USB extenders.

Provide some details so we can have some precision about what's being attempted. There's no/little performance advantage of using USB3 vs USB2 so the USB2 extenders become a reasonably-priced option. ... and there are USB2-to-twisted-pair-network-cable extenders.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
sorry should have written that I have not bought the UAD Appolo X (with Thunderbolt 3) yet. Just planing how to get a long enough cable from my computer to the Appolo. I was told that a adaptor from my mac going Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3 then USB 3 into the Appolo. They are probably wrong because they said that the connection for USB3 will work on the Appolo even though the Appolo is Thunderbolt 3 not USB 3.

Thanks for your help, the troubles of having the computer not in the control room!
Dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search