The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
13 for $999 UAD Plugins - Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 

13 for $999 UAD Plugins - Thoughts?

About to do a big purchase of UAD Plugs - this is what I'm thinking...curious to know what others think of these choices, and what they might pick.

TAPE SIM
1. Studer
2. ATR-102

COMPRESSION/LIMTING
3. Distressor
4. 175/6
5. Zener Limiter

EQ/PREAMP
6. 1073
7. Helios 69
8. API 500
9. Curve Bender

SATURATION
10. Fatso

REVERB
11. Capitol Chambers
12. EMT140
13. EMT250


In addition to the 13, I plan to upgrade the Analog Classics Pro Bundle, and also add a Cooper Time Cube at the sale price.
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
About to do a big purchase of UAD Plugs - this is what I'm thinking...curious to know what others think of these choices, and what they might pick.

TAPE SIM
1. Studer
2. ATR-102

COMPRESSION/LIMTING
3. Distressor
4. 175/6
5. Zener Limiter

EQ/PREAMP
6. 1073
7. Helios 69
8. API 500
9. Curve Bender

SATURATION
10. Fatso

REVERB
11. Capitol Chambers
12. EMT140
13. EMT250


In addition to the 13, I plan to upgrade the Analog Classics Pro Bundle, and also add a Cooper Time Cube at the sale price.

Spend that $1000 on some hardware gear and use your DAW stock plug-ins
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Head
 

I'm interested in the ATR-102. May get that in a minute.

I use their Oxide tape sometimes. It's good.

I don't use much in the way of compression but when I do, I use the Fairchild collection from UAD. Kind of colours the stuff I use in a good way.

I have the 1073 and that's got a good colour to it.

If you don't already have it, I would recommend the DMG equaliser. It's extremely transparent.

With all of these type of plugins I would say less is more.


I am not a recording engineer btw. I'm a writer. Just in case you mistakenly think I know what I'm talking about.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
About to do a big purchase of UAD Plugs - this is what I'm thinking...curious to know what others think of these choices, and what they might pick.
Depends on the amount of processors you have.

I recently added a new quad to my system and I'm getting a lot more value for money from the plugins.

On a weaker system you may find that's the worst money you ever spent. On a stacked 4 X Octo system, it might be the best.

YMMV is a very apt acronym in this case.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Processing power is an X8 (6 cores I believe) and a satellite quad, so 10 cores total thus far.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
If it were me, I wouldn't take the 175/176 over the LA2As and I'd drop the EMT250 in favour of the Fairchild collection. Of course you can demo them and figure out what you like yourself.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Going to have the LA and Fairchild as part of the bundle.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Going to have the LA and Fairchild as part of the bundle.
What the mk2 ones? (not the "classics" (legacy) ) as the mk2s are much, much better.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Today I would pick the 175/176, the reverbs and the Analog Classics Pro from your list. The rest of the money would go in releases once V10 is up.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

In addition to the 13 I was gonna but the analog classics pro bundle as well.

So wait for V10 for newer plugins?
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
In addition to the 13 I was gonna but the analog classics pro bundle as well.

So wait for V10 for newer plugins?
Yes. I wouldn´t exclude revisions of plugins. Many need them. Analog Classics Pro and four more will keep you busy until UA releases new plugins. Don´t underestimate the time you need to learn each inside out.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Yes. I wouldn´t exclude revisions of plugins. Many need them. Analog Classics Pro and four more will keep you busy until UA releases new plugins. Don´t underestimate the time you need to learn each inside out.
Didn’t pull the trigger yet and there’s still a small window it seems. Analog classics + 4 more would cost almost as much as the 13, so are there 13 you would pick including the analog classics that won’t be “upgraded”? I don’t see myself using the 610 so the 1176 LA2A Fairchild and Pultec is probably good for 4...then 9 more that won’t be updated to a V10? Might as well if I’m going to spend $850, as it would cost only $150 more

For example, the Distressor seems reletively new. The Avalon. The Lexicon Verbs. Etc
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Didn’t pull the trigger yet and there’s still a small window it seems. Analog classics + 4 more would cost almost as much as the 13, so are there 13 you would pick including the analog classics that won’t be “upgraded”? I don’t see myself using the 610 so the 1176 LA2A Fairchild and Pultec is probably good for 4...then 9 more that won’t be updated to a V10? Might as well if I’m going to spend $850, as it would cost only $150 more

For example, the Distressor seems reletively new. The Avalon. The Lexicon Verbs. Etc
Christmas sales are going to be at least as good this one. No need to hurry. Once you buy one of the cheaper plugins you will get a total demo reset.

Did you consider a new Twin for the free Analog Classics and easier handling of sessions? The new DUO looks like a great offer if you ask me. Don´t think it will become better next summer when UA usually offers promos for Twins.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 

So there will still be a 13 for $999 Christmas? I do feel like I need more time.

So your saying if I’m gonna but analog classics pro for $450 might as well get a Twin as well? Would be cool to have a portable rig and more sharcs.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
So there will still be a 13 for $999 Christmas? I do feel like I need more time.

So your saying if I’m gonna but analog classics pro for $450 might as well get a Twin as well? Would be cool to have a portable rig and more sharcs.
Christmas sales are usually the best times to get custom bundles. Last year UA offered even a 10% discount during the last days of the promotion.

Any Apollo or Satellite which comes with plugins is the best value I think. Except for the racks which come with OCTOs. Once you have a Satellite QUAD you will want to trade it for an OCTO.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Take your time,eventually every plug goes on sale.

Use your time with the demos to learn the plugs.

Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
So there will still be a 13 for $999 Christmas? I do feel like I need more time.

So your saying if I’m gonna but analog classics pro for $450 might as well get a Twin as well? Would be cool to have a portable rig and more sharcs.
As people including me have said - make good use of the demo periods! Spend a session playing with each plugin with different scenarios to try and weed out the ones that just don't work for you - I noticed you called the Fatso "Saturation" it's primarly job is of course a compressor - a very flexible and colourful one maybe. The Culture Vulture is a dedicated saturation plugin - again have a play. I do like the Fatso on drums.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump