The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a good studio converter
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Need a good studio converter

Hello Gearslutz! Im looking for a high quality thunderbolt converter to replace my apollo twin since im not using the pre in it. I currently have a signal chain including a TLM 49 > Bae 1073 > 1176 > LA2A > ( a new converter ) into Imac / Pro tools. Im recording Hip hop & R&B, and only need one Mic input, and only will ever be recording vocals with just one mic input. I want the highest quality of conversion possible, so im considering getting avid omni + native but i dont need the mic pres in there because i have the Bae, can anyone explain how this HD system works and if i even need it? I saw the Apollo 16 which is strictly a converter which i like but if you guys have any advice or recommendations.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Prism Lyra would work great.
Old 1 week ago
You want an interface then. Not just a converter. The Apollo is an interface; it may not have preamps, but it talks to the computer, it doesn’t just spit out digital audio.

What’s wrong with just using the Apollo you have on line mode? Most smaller interfaces come with preamps; and no you don’t need to invest in HD just to get a line input to your computer.

My advice - short of spending a lot of money, you’re not going to better what you have. Stop worrying and make music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
You want an interface then. Not just a converter. The Apollo is an interface; it may not have preamps, but it talks to the computer, it doesn’t just spit out digital audio.

What’s wrong with just using the Apollo you have on line mode? Most smaller interfaces come with preamps; and no you don’t need to invest in HD just to get a line input to your computer.

My advice - short of spending a lot of money, you’re not going to better what you have. Stop worrying and make music.

Why would the Apollo x16 not work for that ? does it not talk to the computer as well ? Is it not basically like the Apollo Twin but no Mic Pre right ?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignFaraz View Post
Why would the Apollo x16 not work for that ? does it not talk to the computer as well ? Is it not basically like the Apollo Twin but no Mic Pre right ?
It is.

But you said "Im recording Hip hop & R&B, and only need one Mic input, and only will ever be recording vocals with just one mic input.". So why would you spend $3k+ to get a single line input (that you already have) with 15 line inputs you're not going to use?

Plus - if you ever do need to record something stereo or 2 things at once - with your twin you can do it. Here you can't.

I simply don't know why you'd want to spend lots of money for no reason, unless there's something I'm missing!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
It is.

But you said "Im recording Hip hop & R&B, and only need one Mic input, and only will ever be recording vocals with just one mic input.". So why would you spend $3k+ to get a single line input (that you already have) with 15 line inputs you're not going to use?

Plus - if you ever do need to record something stereo or 2 things at once - with your twin you can do it. Here you can't.

I simply don't know why you'd want to spend lots of money for no reason, unless there's something I'm missing!

Right I just want the best conversion quality possible, would the Apollo twin conversion be the same as the x16? or is there anything like the apollo twin with one mic input that has a better conversion converter ??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just use the Apollo. It’s already overkill for your needs.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Right I just want the best conversion quality possible, would the Apollo twin conversion be the same as the x16? or is there anything like the apollo twin with one mic input that has a better conversion converter ??
Yes, the Prism Lyra already mentioned.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I thought you didn’t need any mic inputs, you only needed line inputs? That was the whole point.

Step back and think logically for a moment. You already own an interface of very good quality, used to record hit vocals around the world (it’s the most popular interface of travelling producers by far). Is the rest of your setup of this quality? If you are going to spend $3k+, is a tiny bit of conversion improvement that (depending on the rest of your setup) you may not even notice going to be the best way of spending that?

Put it this way - if I had a TLM 103 and and Apollo and 3k to spend, I’d be changing the mic not the interface.

Now - assuming you HAVE got everything else as close to perfect as possible - is buying a 16 channel interface when you only need one input a smart use of money? Or would it be better to buy a 2 channel interface for the same money? What is going to have better quality on a per channel basis?

Personally, I think you’re overanalysing far too much. You’ve got a great piece of gear - a minute conversion upgrade isn’t going to fix any issues you have. If there’s problems - fix them at the source. If there’s not - make some music!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I thought you didn’t need any mic inputs, you only needed line inputs? That was the whole point.

Step back and think logically for a moment. You already own an interface of very good quality, used to record hit vocals around the world (it’s the most popular interface of travelling producers by far). Is the rest of your setup of this quality? If you are going to spend $3k+, is a tiny bit of conversion improvement that (depending on the rest of your setup) you may not even notice going to be the best way of spending that?

Put it this way - if I had a TLM 103 and and Apollo and 3k to spend, I’d be changing the mic not the interface.

Now - assuming you HAVE got everything else as close to perfect as possible - is buying a 16 channel interface when you only need one input a smart use of money? Or would it be better to buy a 2 channel interface for the same money? What is going to have better quality on a per channel basis?

Personally, I think you’re overanalysing far too much. You’ve got a great piece of gear - a minute conversion upgrade isn’t going to fix any issues you have. If there’s problems - fix them at the source. If there’s not - make some music!
I meant Line input sorry & so no recommendations for a single line converter better then a twin ? && as far as mics i’m looking to upgrade my TLM 49 to a U87 or Manley reference C ?? For modern Hip hop & rap.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
I meant Line input sorry & so no recommendations for a single line converter better then a twin ? && as far as mics i’m looking to upgrade my TLM 49 to a U87 or Manley reference C ?? For modern Hip hop & rap.
If I owned a Twin (and I do) there's plenty of other places to spend money before I'd think about upgrading my converter.

There's plenty of things "better". Do you want to spend $$$$ though for a difference you might not even notice?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Yes, the Prism Lyra already mentioned.
I see the Prism Lyra is a USB interface, how do i connect it into my computer, i’ve looked at the back of it and i don’t see a usb port ? It wouldn’t connect to my Thunderbolt right? So that kinda scares me because most USB interfaces have a noticeable delay when tracking vocals since they aren’t thunderbolt connected ? How does this actually connect to my Imac?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Prism Lyra would work great.

sorry for the same question but, I see the Prism Lyra is a USB interface, how do i connect it into my computer, i’ve looked at the back of it and i don’t see a usb port ? It wouldn’t connect to my Thunderbolt right? So that kinda scares me because most USB interfaces have a noticeable delay when tracking vocals since they aren’t thunderbolt connected ? How does this actually connect to my Imac?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
sorry for the same question but, I see the Prism Lyra is a USB interface, how do i connect it into my computer, i’ve looked at the back of it and i don’t see a usb port ? It wouldn’t connect to my Thunderbolt right? So that kinda scares me because most USB interfaces have a noticeable delay when tracking vocals since they aren’t thunderbolt connected ? How does this actually connect to my Imac?

The USB port is right next to the DIGITAL IN/OUT.

There won't be a remotely noticeable delay unless your buffer settings are set insanely high for some reason, and if that's the case then you have bigger problems than the last 5-10% of difference a converter will make.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Recording with low latency was doable even before Thunderbolt came into play.

Don't need to worry about converters at this stage. Just get any interface and you'll be making music in no time.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post

The USB port is right next to the DIGITAL IN/OUT.

There won't be a remotely noticeable delay unless your buffer settings are set insanely high for some reason, and if that's the case then you have bigger problems than the last 5-10% of difference a converter will make.

What kind of USB cable would i need
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You need the best cables for the best converter. Only Audioquest and Shunyata will do it proper service. https://www.thecableco.com/alpha-usb.html
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
That rear port is a "Type B" USB port. Same kind of port used on MIDI keyboards, drum pads, modern hardware synthesizers, printers, scanners, etc so any Type A to Type B cable like that will work.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctambulant View Post
You need the best cables for the best converter. Only Audioquest and Shunyata will do it proper service. https://www.thecableco.com/alpha-usb.html
Old 1 week ago
I've said it before, but spending money on a Lyra if you already have a Twin, is most likely a waste of money.

What are you monitoring through? what is your space like? Unless you're hitting "very decent" there, spend your money somewhere other than conversion!

You already have something that outperforms the gear used 10 years ago on all your favourite recordings. Your recording space most likely does not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search