The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apollo x6 vs Babyface Pro - Low buffer abilities! Any x6 users out there?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Apollo x6 vs Babyface Pro - Low buffer abilities! Any x6 users out there?

Hi All!

My current setup is Win10/Reaper/Babyface Pro, and I do a LOT of input monitoring on amp sims (mainly Amplitube 4 and S-Gear) for tracking at low buffer settings (96-128 typically, any higher than this and I find it affects performance). I also play in a fair amount of VI's including superior drummer 3 and various kontakt instruments.

My computer is a fairly new build i7-8700k, 32RAM, SSDs all around, and Aorus 7 gaming MB.

I can track quite a bit at the low buffer settings (96-128) before running into issues with cracks/pops etc... Typically I can also flesh out a mix with native plugs and only have to up my buffer settings once I get to final stages of 2bus processing.

I want to go UAD because I totally dig the plugins, the conversion, and I need to upgrade to more ins/outs for running a bit of outboard stuff (reamping, 2bus processing with a silverbullet (which kicks ass btw)).

But just wondering is the low latency native input monitoring in reaper going to be at least somewhat similar??? Please tell me yes! I know I can track low latency with the UAD plugs, but I don't want to give up the stuff I've already invested in and low latency VI/amp sim performance is a pretty big deal to me.

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

You should be able to run lower buffer sizes with that system - I have an 8700k @ 4.8Ghz, 32GB ram, Asus mobo w/Thunderbolt ex3 card, W10Pro; I'm using an Apollo (mk2, not an X) via TB3>TB2 converter, and rarely have to raise my buffer above 64 samples while tracking in Cubase.

I track guitars through Helix Native all the time (monitoring through Cubase) and at 44.1, round-trip latency is 5.3ms @ 64 samples and 3.8ms @ 32. I use Amplitube too now and again and it's the same deal.

I usually stick to 64 samples unless I've got a drummer in who's playing a midi kit triggering BFD, because personally I can't tell the difference between 5.3ms and 3.8, but I know there's plenty of people who claim to be able to do so!

At 64 samples I can run literally dozens of instances of Helix, plus at least 20 or so vsti's (typically a mix of Repro, Reaktor, Massive, Serum, Kontakt, Arturia, Battery, BFD3, etc) and comps, eq's delays, etc. before running into any crackly issues.

I don't use Reaper, so I don't know if there's maybe a configuration issue with it, or with your system in general, but I'd expect you to be able to get a bit more from it than you currently are. I can for sure tell you that low-latency tracking using DAW input monitoring is definitely possible, as I do it every day

I do literally all of my input monitoring through Cubase - pretty much the only time I open the UAD console is if I'm using a Unison plugin - I set up vocalists headphone mixes in software and have honestly never had a complaint about latency.

UAD plugs are great, although tbh I don't find myself using the Unison ones that often - I mainly only use the odd preamp model here and there, depending on the mic and the singer. The two plugs I probably use the most are the Helios and the Fairchild mkii - if you do a lot of guitar stuff, definitely check out the Helios, it's absolutely amazing for tone shaping! Very happy with the Apollo in general though - it's been absolutely rock-solid on latency and stability fronts on both my main Windows rig and my MBP, and sounds pretty fantastic too.

(Btw, just had a listen to "Paradise" - sounds class man!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

That makes my night man! I figured it was going to be fine but nice to hear from someone doing similar stuff. Pumped to get this thing setup, got a TB3 card and cables on the way should be here same day.

Thanks for the kind words too! Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
You should be able to run lower buffer sizes with that system - I have an 8700k @ 4.8Ghz, 32GB ram, Asus mobo w/Thunderbolt ex3 card, W10Pro; I'm using an Apollo (mk2, not an X) via TB3>TB2 converter, and rarely have to raise my buffer above 64 samples while tracking in Cubase.

I track guitars through Helix Native all the time (monitoring through Cubase) and at 44.1, round-trip latency is 5.3ms @ 64 samples and 3.8ms @ 32. I use Amplitube too now and again and it's the same deal.

I usually stick to 64 samples unless I've got a drummer in who's playing a midi kit triggering BFD, because personally I can't tell the difference between 5.3ms and 3.8, but I know there's plenty of people who claim to be able to do so!

At 64 samples I can run literally dozens of instances of Helix, plus at least 20 or so vsti's (typically a mix of Repro, Reaktor, Massive, Serum, Kontakt, Arturia, Battery, BFD3, etc) and comps, eq's delays, etc. before running into any crackly issues.

I don't use Reaper, so I don't know if there's maybe a configuration issue with it, or with your system in general, but I'd expect you to be able to get a bit more from it than you currently are. I can for sure tell you that low-latency tracking using DAW input monitoring is definitely possible, as I do it every day

I do literally all of my input monitoring through Cubase - pretty much the only time I open the UAD console is if I'm using a Unison plugin - I set up vocalists headphone mixes in software and have honestly never had a complaint about latency.

UAD plugs are great, although tbh I don't find myself using the Unison ones that often - I mainly only use the odd preamp model here and there, depending on the mic and the singer. The two plugs I probably use the most are the Helios and the Fairchild mkii - if you do a lot of guitar stuff, definitely check out the Helios, it's absolutely amazing for tone shaping! Very happy with the Apollo in general though - it's been absolutely rock-solid on latency and stability fronts on both my main Windows rig and my MBP, and sounds pretty fantastic too.

(Btw, just had a listen to "Paradise" - sounds class man!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ah, nothing like the feeling of waiting for the knock on the door and some new gear arriving!

Btw, at the risk of sounding like a full-on UA shill, if you've got your eye on any UAD plugins in particular, you might wanna grab them asap, as the Black Friday sale ends in a couple of hours - although in fairness they do offers and voucher emails pretty frequently (so long as you're patient, you pretty much never need to pay full price for any of their plugins).

Enjoy your new interface, I'm sure it'll help with low latency - be sure to let us know how you get on with it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Have you had any of the windows audio troubles that seem to be popping up on the UAD forums by any chance? Working great in the DAW is of course the most important but I also need to be able to use my workstation for regular tasks like listening to spotify/youtube...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
Ah, nothing like the feeling of waiting for the knock on the door and some new gear arriving!

Btw, at the risk of sounding like a full-on UA shill, if you've got your eye on any UAD plugins in particular, you might wanna grab them asap, as the Black Friday sale ends in a couple of hours - although in fairness they do offers and voucher emails pretty frequently (so long as you're patient, you pretty much never need to pay full price for any of their plugins).

Enjoy your new interface, I'm sure it'll help with low latency - be sure to let us know how you get on with it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Nope, none at all.

As soon as I had the TB card configured in the bios, the Apollo's worked flawlessly since first connecting it. Youtube, Apple Music, Spotify, etc all work fine.

Since my primary display is a 49" 4k TV, I actually have the TV's audio connected to it via optical as well for when I want to watch some Netflix - and it even handles the real-time samplerate conversion (the TV outputs 48k) seamlessly.

Now maybe I've just been spectacularly lucky, but I think that if people take time to do their research, and know how to configure their systems properly, a lot of issues can be avoided. Obviously UA can't account for every possible hardware config, (or when MS decide to release a dodgy update) but they do make recommendations for example of TB adapters that they know to work well with most systems.

If you do run into any issues, I've found UA support are actually pretty good - I've only spoken to them a couple of times (not concerning the Apollo) but they've always been responsive and helpful. They may sometimes take a day or two to get back, but it's always with a good, relevant response, and not just some standard-form email reply.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search